frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Gwen running at Stanford

fyrehaarfyrehaar Member
Gwen Jorgensen is running the 10k at Stanford tomorrow night - her team is listed as Nike - Bowerman.

http://www.rtspt.com/events/stanford/invite2018/sections_open.htm

Anyone else in the Bay gonna come down? Her section is set to start at 9:07 PM.

Comments

• Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I’d like to watch if I can find it online. I know she’s been running with Bowerman, has she officially signed with Nike yet?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    I think Flo Track will have it. I don't think she has "officially" signed but it's her club listing for her races this year.
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited March 30
    Why do track meets have run races so late? Running a fast 10k at 9pm sounds awful.
    AaronWebsteyJennifer Post
  • Options
    I don't live in the area anymore (thank god) but I used to go every year to the Stanford Invite and Payton Jordan. Watched Shalane run laps around everyone one year, Ali Brownlee's 28:30, and lots of other great racing (including Matt Mcelroy while he was at NAU). Really fun to see in person, especially if you are a track nerd. I used to just want to see the running races, but I went early with pizza one year and it was way better seeing the jumpers, and vaulters do their thing.

@EmilyCocks What do you think is worse, triathlons starting at the crack of dawn, or track meets that go really late?

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Late meets are better since there's beer before/after. A super-early tri means struggling to get good coffee.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyJennifer PostfyrehaarSdog
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I would go, but I've got to return some videotapes.
    Tad_MM_WareMartinellsworth53tJohns622
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I know I always ran best around 5-8 pm. It aligns well with the normal training patterns of practice/training in the mid afternoon. Also, the 10k is boring as hell, so you don’t want to make it prime time viewing. Something about weather, too, if you’re looking to run a timed race. Generally cooler with less wind late in the evening.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I always loved the world cup triathlon starts at 3pm. Did I ever tell you guys I used to race itu?
    idking90Jennifer PostM_WareMartinwchevronPevashishDaulellsworth53tGranpa Chooket5504
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    There is a big difference between 3pm and 9pm. I liked having Pacific Grove start at 12pm for elites. 8am at Wildflower was fairly civilized. Anything starting before 7am or after 7pm is dumb.
    Jennifer PostAaronWebsteyGranpa ChookSdog
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited April 1
    I saw promos to watch Stanford Invitational so thought I’d give it a try. Was on my way to signing up for subscription before I saw the prices. Has Flotrack always been this expensive? $150/year is insane. I pay $30 for NBC Sports Gold Cycling per year and $25 per year for ITU Teiathlon Live.
    Robert RankinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Guess Nike's officially official now
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyMartinJohns622Tad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    fyrehaarfyrehaar Member
    Well it was super exciting! I thought I would be bored watching a 10k but it was actually really good, even with a jumpy five year old.

Gwen went 31:55. It seemed close until the last 200 but she was just being tactical. She shifted gear and left Dimoff with no trouble.

My kid took this amazing pic, so I clearly get to retire as family photographer

MattTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyEvan
  • Options
    It seemed weird that the weren't all wearing track spikes.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member
    edited April 4
    @matt you don’t need them to run 3:12/km (5:10 miles for us ‘muricans). If it’s not a championship meet where you expect to kick the last lap, spikes are irrelevant; and even then it’s questionable depending on your foot strike and toe off. Better to run in something comfortable.
    MattMartinGranpa Chook
  • Options
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh saying they're "irrelevant." Like most things in life, their importance is more an "it depends" situation. Wet weather, mondo track, you might slip a little bit since those are hard and smooth. In that case, spikes are beneficial. Stanford has a surface that is pretty grippy, and the weather was dry, so spikes would be of little to no benefit, and could be too harsh on the legs for an early season 10k where injury risk for a lot of the girls is more a concern than running a second or two faster. Even distance spikes have very little cushion, and fast tracks are actually quite hard. You definitely feel the punishment of a 10k.
    AaronWebsteyRobert RankinMattfyrehaar
  • Options

It was rumored Gwen didn’t use spikes due to Achilles issues, but I think this quote from her recent SI article is more telling. She is referring to the influence of Shalane.
    M_WareRobert RankinMattJohns622fyrehaarAaronWebstey
  • Options
    That’s might explain gwen’s reasoning, but I doubt some of the others wearing flats have that same access. Nor are they pursuing the marathon.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    It's to prevent unnecessary injuries to high school middle infielders.
    Granpa ChookKenElPescadoPelado

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    This conversation makes me remember a few months ago when I told one of my athletes not to wear spikes because she wasn't ready for them. She couldn't resist and managed to run a PB in the 3000. Now she has been out for the past 6 weeks.

Perhaps these women were just not ready strengthwise to wear spikes for such a long race.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    10k on the track in spikes. My calves hurt just thinking about it.
    idking90AaronWebstey
  • Options

Cheers.
    KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarIanL

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch