frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Talk me into (or out of) a ultra distance trail run.

HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Ok ultra trail running douches (this is an affectionate term for me so if you are offended just fuck right the hell off you pussy), here's your chance. Tell me what I am missing. Tell me how long it would take me to prepare for one of these fucking things. My thought is to tackle the 27km Frosty this year and then the 50km next year, with the potential for a few others between the two. Full disclosure:
  • I have run 1 stand alone marathon in 3:53 something. It sucked balls. Hard. But mostly because my husband was running beside me screaming that I was "never going to qualify for Boston if [I] didn't stop walking!!!" at the 15km mark while I was trying to walk off a potential torn calf (confirmed torn calf post race).
  • My last IM was in November and went relatively well because I worked hard on mental prep, but my "fitness" since then....well, let's just say it's much easier to lose fitness than it is to gain it.

I do not have the $ to work with a coach so would be doing this on my own unless someone here has the balls to try and tell me what to do.

"The Thighmaster is neither a thigh nor a master. Discuss"....
M_WareAaron Websteyellsworth53tGasBomb

Comments

• Options
    Full disclosure I can't speak to anything with any elevation, so keep that in mind when I say "easy". I find ultra's less physical than open marathon running or IM racing. Physically my ultras were almost easy (caveat being the 110 I did but only think it was hard because I had to stop after 84 and wait for a marathon to start before starting the last 26 miles, 8+ hours. I locked up something fierce overnight and those 26 miles were the worst of my life. It was also all asphalt which didn't help). Ultras are more of a mental battle.
    HSeeley14Tad_MfyrehaarGasBomb

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Long course is for suckers.
    HSeeley14Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Stop overthinking it. Do it.

I think Paul Lancaster has done Frosty so he could give you some advice on prep. It's close enough to you that you can do some of your training on course, which is a positive (if you discount the fact that there are grizzlies in Manning). You have more than enough time to prep for a 27 between now & September. Start listening to ultrarunnerpodcast ...tips & inspiration (sort of, there's the interview with the woman who went blind during Run Rabbit, not inspiring so much as horrifying).

Don't let the fact that I DNF'd my first attempt cause you to disregard my comments as the ramblings of a mad woman. I'm trying again in December (but on a much easier course).
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14Tad_Mfyrehaar

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    It's a timed hike.
    Try it.
    Don't get Lyme disease.
    Drink beer.
    HSeeley14Aaron WebsteykjrunninEmilyCocksMartinIanLTad_Mccochranesimonsen77Robert RankinfyrehaarmaggieruKenElPescadoPeladoKuch
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Finish or compete? That is what you have to ask before starting training for any event. Finish? Easy. Look at the max time cut off and see if it is possible. Is it possible? Great do it.

Compete (even if just against the clock)? Well then you have to crunch the numbers.

For sure, doing the 27 km to start is a smart choice.
    HSeeley14Tad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options

FYI this is the course profile and I would be going against the clock so to speak, not just trying to finish.
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    HSeeley14 said:

FYI this is the course profile and I would be going against the clock so to speak, not just trying to finish.

Looks fun. Do it.
    You posted about it here so you want it bad enough. Do that shit.
    Tad_MHSeeley14M_Warekjrunninsimonsen77Maddie_McKMattAaron WebsteyMartinStruangfyrehaarmaggieruKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Yeah, at least you picked one with an easy incline followed by not so much downhill to thrash your quads. Holy shit @HSeeley14 , that's kick ass! 1000 meters in 13k, yeeehaaaa!
    M_WareHSeeley14GasBomb
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    that shits only ~10%. Can’t you find something difficult?
    Tad_MMattAaron WebsteyHSeeley14MartinwchevronCraig_DAlexSKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
  • Options
    Do it. You'll be fine. I've found that jumping into up to 25k is no problem off of regular old training (which for me is 2 trail shuffles a week, plus a bunch of bike miles). Did one 50k on gravel roads, that was much more painful and I'd recommend actually training for that. Plus there's usually whiskey at the trail run aid stations, which helps immensely. The variation in stress on your body from dodging rocks/roots/etc will tear you up much less than pounding a pavement marathon even though it takes longer.
    M_WarekjrunninAaron WebsteyfyrehaarHSeeley14
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    EvilTwinEvilTwin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Just signed up for my first 25k and 50k this year, so yeah I got nothing but do it.......also watch the Barkley and be happy in your bed tonight knowing that was not you.
    MattAaron WebsteyHSeeley14KenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
  • Options
    Signed up. A chick won the 28km last year so that's some good karma I guess. Thanks for the input everyone.
    M_WarekjrunninEvilTwinTad_MMartinKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    It's about time! Now go fuck shit up!
    HSeeley14EvilTwinTad_MJohns622KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I started training last year with a ultra trail running crew and it was so much fun. There were 7-8 of us and we would do one weekly run that included a 700m climb that had 200m elevation (that's steep fyi). After that we would do loops of a 2km trail which started/finished at a cabin where we'd keep our gels/water/potatoes. We alternated directions each loop and some times people would stop each loop or go 2-3. We ran for a specific time and usually met up for the last loop before descending back down.

It was the most fund I had running. My garmin barely worked because of the tree coverage but I was always around people, either running with them or passing in opposite directions on the trail. Three weeks into training I just ran a road 10k for fun and set a PB.

That night I broke my foot and didn't run with them for the rest of the summer. 6 went on to do a 50km ultra gnarly trail run and are going back this year. Sadly it sold out and I wasn't in any shape to commit. I fully intend on training with them again this summer, though.
    simonsen77Aaron WebsteyCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch