frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Best media player box? Uh also triathlon something something

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
@dhr mentioned he has Roku. I've bought a couple shitty $80 'smart' BD players that do ok at some stuff but mostly suck for DLNA streaming from my little NAS drive and offer no features beyond YouTube and Netflix.

Anyone got an "OMG you have to get this box" experience? We still have cable because every 2 years I call and complain and get a good enough deal that it barely saves anything to cancel it, but eventually that will end so I'm thinking toward a cord-cutting-quality product and am aware I probably won't get that for $80.

Sorry this didn't even start out being about triathlon, but I feel more confident about your opinions than my own googling ability. Plus it'll just end in dick jokes eventually anyway, no matter where it starts.
KenElPescadoPeladoM_WaredhrMattTad_M

Comments

• Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I've still got a gen 2 Roku box, going strong for 5 years now. Currently whittled down to just Netflix since I got tired of paying the ISP + them + Amazon + HBO when we don't watch *that* much TV & movies. Probably 160 items in the queue that I'll never watch. But then again, I'm also that guy who never deletes e-mails.

Got a big chuckle when I looked at our daily usage recently. Seems that it spikes 5x when my father-in-law comes over to doggysit.
    AaronWebsteyMartinCraig DTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited March 21
    I have a several year old Mac Mini that appears to exist solely for the purpose of music, tv and web-based games that my kids play. I might hack it into a server one of these days, but for now it does everything we need, plus it has a monster HDD to hold all of our offline stuff.

ETA: Also have an antenna on the roof that picks up around 20 channels. Maybe more, because PBS seems to multiply the channels on their HD broadcast.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

DLNA streaming from my little NAS drive

Can you use less nerd speak? Is that like plugging in a USB drive? Not sure any streaming boxes allow that.
    I have an old AppleTV (3rd gen maybe?) that works okay but doesn't allow you to add apps. Also a hacked amazon fire stick, that's definitely worth $30. The stick is pretty solid, actually, but big and requires its own power supply.
  • Options
    I've got a Roku and Apple TV, plus cable. You can plug a USB into the Roku. The Roku seems to have more channels available than Apple TV although I only use 3 of them. A lot of the channels seem to be crap though. Lots of movie channels that are just crappy versions of Netflix.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited March 21
    Sorry, I mean streaming content from the local network. On my Sony BD player box, when you go to the list of 'network' sources, it shows e.g. youtube, netflix, etc, then also my Western Digital MyBook Live -
    - which contains movie files that I have totally copied off of discs that I definitely own.The MyBook has a 'DLNA' server built in, which is just a standard protocol for sharing local network content.

If you look on Amazon, there are dozens (hundreds maybe) of different Android-based Roku/AppleTV analogues, many of which will stream content from your local network with varying degrees of compatibility and ease. From what I've heard, some are great and some are awful, and I'm finding it harder and harder to trust the Amazon reviews. So I was just hoping maybe someone had found a diamond in the rough.

E.g., this little box that showed up in my 'shop related products' ad :)

@KHilgendorf I might have to look into the fire stick again. I have an original Chromecast, which is 'meh'
    at best, so I kind of shied away from the whole stick thing for a while.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
    Groucho Marx

I pretty much only use Netflix and TBP-streams.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MGranpa Chook
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Not sure if the WD hard drive allows for it in anyway, but certainly a Google Chrome stick thing seems very popular. Personally, I gave up on the DLNA thing and hooked an old computer up to the TV via HDMI and use a wireless keyboard.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

I have ... a hacked amazon fire stick ... The stick is pretty solid, actually, but big and requires its own power supply.

Is that what your wife calls it?

Tell me more about this power supply...
    simonsen77MartinTad_MAaronWebstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    The Nvidia shield is awesome, but probably more then what you want to spend. As a bonus it plays video games since I can't justify buying an Xbox or PS4
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited March 21
    I've got firesticks on all tv's in my house. I've also got very loose morals when it comes to questionably streaming media.
    MattAaronWebstey

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    My PS4 works pretty sweet for doing basically anything. Plus I'm sure your little dudes wouldn't mind that one bit;)
    M_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited March 22
    Congrats @AaronWebstey ! 12 8 posts and no dick jokes. Impressive!
    I have fire sticks on all TVs but one, but I have no nerd abilities. Work fine.
    However, my basement Apple TV is may fave cause I get on Zwift in 10 seconds now. (But spring will be here in 4 short months, so my opinion will change)
    M_WareAaronWebstey

• Options
    dhrdhr Member

I have ... a hacked amazon fire stick ... The stick is pretty solid, actually, but big and requires its own power supply.

Is that what your wife calls it?

Tell me more about this power supply...
    Found the guy interested in Ben Greenfield’s recent experiment.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77Craig D
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Was it made by Hitachi?
    mbrekk44Tad_M
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I have fire sticks, prime, rokus, apple tvs, you name it. They all generally work the same. Since I was an early itunes guy and bought a lot of movies on that platform, the apple tv typically wins out for me. Especially now that they added the Amazon prime app. It's basically one stop shopping.

My cable company (Spectrum) has an app that runs on roku that makes it basically function as a cable box. I've replaced a couple of actual cable boxes with them and saved a bunch on monthly rental fees.
    AaronWebstey
    ______

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch