frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Who watches athlete Youtubes?

Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
I'm curious. With all the new athlete Youtube "channels" and episodes launching -- who watches them? And if you do, when and why? Like I'll watch some, if they're cool, especially if it's work-related, but my attention span is next to zero. So I'm wondering if there's really a demand for this, if other people are into them, if I'm wrong.
AaronWebsteyMartinM_Warefyrehaar

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I don't, but I feel like if it were 1998 and Michellie Jones or Simon Lessing released this kind of thing I would watch until my eyes dried up and fell out of my head.
    MartinM_WareOverSwimmerCraig_DKelly O'MaraMaddie_McKTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options
    I'm under 30. Youtube is my television. I'll just throw on youtube on my TV for an hour or two before I go to bed. I watch GCN/GTN nearly daily unless it's a re-hash video of "why high cadence is good vs why low cadence is good".

I'll also tune into vlogs like Cycling Maven, Francis Cade and Triathlon Taren nearly daily. The videos Talbot's doing are pretty good too since you'd never see someone like T.O./Rinny produce their own videos (who has time for that shit?).

Youtube lets me watch what I want to watch instead of just a marathon of Diners, Drive in's and Dives every night and it's a good wind down. Occasionally I'll throw a video on during my warmup/cool down on a treadmill or on the trainer as well
    AaronWebsteyM_WareTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I'm over 30, so I need somebody to explain the appeal of things like Triathlon Taren and TO/Rinny videos.

AaronWebsteydoyoueventribroM_Waresimonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoOverSwimmerCraig_DTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mhaywarmimaggieru
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I’m over 50. What is this “YouTube” thingy? Can I see on my 486dx with dial up?
    AaronWebsteydhrsimonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoOverSwimmerCraig_DkjrunninTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mhaywarmimaggieru
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    dhr said:

I'm over 30, so I need somebody to explain the appeal of things like Triathlon Taren and TO/Rinny videos.

It's definitely a generational thing. I didn't have cable for 7 years. The cable company recently offered me a basic package free for a year so I took it. I hate it. It's just cooking shows and stupid shit and nothing that I'm even interested in.

I pay for TriathlonLive and watch that and youtube videos of recaps of races, training days and other videos. It's neat to get an inside look at how pro's live their lives, especially triathlon. I think triathlon/endurance sport is different than other sports in that it needs to be a complete lifestyle. I watched the NHL "road to winter classic" and other behind the scenes specials and it's a lot different than the triathlon videos. Other athletes almost have some kind of social life.
    M_WareAaronWebsteydhrMartin
  • Options
    I only watch videos of athletes I actually know. If I actually rode a bike anymore on the trainer I could see myself watching more athlete videos but right now I don't really watch anything.
    Kelly O'Mara
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I haven't had cable in probably 10 years. I have relied on a Roku.

I think I figured it out. I have enough trouble navigating my own life. I don't give a shit about what anyone else has going on in theirs. Especially not pro triathletes, who are some of the most boring people on the planet, if interviews with triathlon media are any indication.
    wchevronTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I liked the Transition Four content when it first came out, and there's probably plenty more to check back on. Not sure if that would do more to motivate me on the trainer, or distract me with the amazing views and camera work. I did watch Breaking Away while training a while back, and it probably made me laugh too much to be helpful.

Lately I get more motivation out of watching a good action movie like Inglorious Basterds (broke it up over a couple of short sessions) or episodes of Ash Vs. Evil Dead. A little shooting and slashing seems to do more to facilitate getting my HR up.
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro yeah, it's interesting. b/c i'm around the generational divide, have a smart TV or whatever, spend hours on the internet every day. so it's not like i don't understand the appeal, but it just isn't appealing to me, if that makes sense? i do become vaguely fascinated by like breakdown diaries of their days when pro athletes do them, but not a video; I'd rather read something.
    AaronWebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    @KenElPescadoPelado i watched the most recent Fast & Furious the other day on the trainer. I love all the Fast & Furious(s) and holy fuck I think I blew my hearing out.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareOverSwimmerCraig_DAaronWebsteyTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M
  • Options
    AlexSAlexS Member
    I've watched a couple of the Lionel Sanders videos, I found them interesting. Probably not interesting enough to pay but I think its cool to know what workouts pros are doing.
  • Options
    I've watched the Gwen vlogs she started sending out recently. I never thought i'd be one to watch these. They're pretty interesting though.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Kelly O'Mara - "not a video; I'd rather read something" pretty much sums up my entire web browsing experience these days.
    Kelly O'Marasimonsen77M_WareOverSwimmerCraig_DbalsdorfTuck_n_Roll_Tad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    I follow some athletes. The Youtube is a great platform, because I don't have more than 20 minutes to watch videos at a time anymore.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    He's been mentioned on the site before, but for a fun watch, check out some Vittorio Brumotti videos.

He also has a weird travel-type series if you speak any Italian.
    MattAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    I met Brumotti at Eurobike. Always a spectacle, but his videos have very good production.

simonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoMartinOverSwimmerCraig_DM_Ware
  • Options
    OverSwimmerCraig_DOverSwimmerCraig_D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Usually I only watch on nights at work. I liked the Transition 4 stuff and a few others. I certainly don’t go out of my way to find them.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I watch Talbot’s videos and just watched TO and Rinnys on the trainer the other day. Really like Talbot’s videos with Gwen. She’s a badass!
    AaronWebstey
    First year “pro” triathlete and first time dad! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I'm with @KenElPescadoPelado , I watch series and movies. But I have no doubt there's some great and valuable content on Youtube regarding these sports we love.

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I watch cycling race summaries on YouTube but that’s about it. Enjoying the ones this week from Cape Epic. For athlete videos, I prefer the short Instagram stories they post.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Not household name athletes. I subscribe to the People Are Awesome youtube channel. Love watching these compilations:
    AaronWebsteyKelly O'MaraM_Ware

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch