frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Going to be in San Diego for an afternoon....

rigpigrigpig Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Hey Roosters in San Deigo. I am going to be spending a 1/2 day in San Diego after surgery and before flying back. Not looking for workout spots or must do's, but maybe a must eat or 2? I seen an exotic wild meat burger place (Crazee Burger) watching Dana White's Looking for a Fight that I might try. But other than that is there any place that I should hit? We are going to be staying somewhere between Gaslamp and airport.

Kevin Brydges
You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....

Comments

• Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I haven't been, but I hear great things about donkey shows south of the border!!!
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    There are a million breweries in the area - some have food if you're into solids.

I always like pancakes and bacon at Richard Walkers which is in/just adjacent to the gas-lamp. A little expensive for what it is, but never left disappointed.

I also always liked a slice of pizza at Bronx in Hillcrest. It's just New York style pizza that you can grab by the slice, but pretty tasty. Interesting part of San Diego too so usually good people watching opportunities depending on the time of day (and day).

rigpig
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

I haven't been, but I hear great things about donkey shows south of the border!!!

Ha, I told the wife that. We are gonna be in Tijuana for 4 days too. Street tacos and donkey shows!!!

mbrekk44KenElPescadoPelado

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    Thanks Rash, that pizza sounds good for lunch! @ItsShug sent me to one in Wichita that was a must see.

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    You're pretty close to the Slowtwitch ranch if you want to see the guru.
  • Options
    Ha, I have never been on Slowtwitch. I don't do anything slow!!!!
    MattM_WareMartinAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Farmer and the Seahorse is a really cool hangout spot for a beer and some apps
    rigpig

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Tioli's (Crazee burger) isn't anything super special. Like I didn't have to eat an alligator burger to find out it's not as good as a regular burger.

Not sure what kinda surgery you're having, but if you can drink, there are a number of great breweries downtown. Bolt Brewery is in Little Italy (close to airport) and has good pizza. There's also a Ballast Point in Little Italy, and a Stone and Karl Strauss by the train station. 10 Barrel and Half Door are close to Gaslamp. Downtown SD has a higher density of craft breweries/brew pubs than any other place in the country. Skip the pain killers post-surgery and get loaded before your flight. If you're flying out of the new terminal (2) there's also a Stone right when you get through security.
    rigpig
  • Options
    Thanks @bbculp. My wife is a drinker so there will be drinking going on. I am having 2 herniated disks taken care of and then stem cell therapy, so beer can wait for me. But thanks, I think we will skip the burger and go for pizza and beer.

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    Happy to help. Skip the Gaslamp. All the restaurants are shit and it's mostly full of frat-tastic D-bags having bachelor parties. Nice hotels though.

Little Italy is where all the good food is. If you want something fancier than pizza and beer, Juniper & Ivy is the best restaurant in SD. And Extraordinary Deserts is exactly what the name entails. I stop there on my way to the airport every time I'm in town.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited February 22
    rigpig said:

I don't do anything slow!!!!

[Insert "what your wife said" joke.]
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    I had a pretty good burger somewhere that we sat in an old VW bus in the restaurant. Somewhere near La Jolla Beach. That's all the details i remember...
  • Options
    @Johns622 You're talking about Hodad's. It's in Ocean Beach and is definitely the best burger in SD. @rigpig They opened a Hodad's downtown if you're absolutely craving a burger post-surgery, but it's not the same experience as the original.
    Johns622
  • Options
    Martin said:

rigpig said:

I don't do anything slow!!!!

[Insert "what your wife said" joke.]
    Ya, I thought of that right after I sent it and didn't have time to edit....

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    @bbculp our hotel is in little Italy. Think if it isn't too fancy, will try Juniper & Ivy. Gonna google the dessert place too as that is right up my alley.

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    @rigpig Juniper & Ivy is Michelin star-worthy food but it's pretty casual (and affordable). Definitely not a fine dining spot. Those kinda places go out of business real quick in SD. And Extraordinary Deserts will not disappoint. Perfect indulgence post-surgery.

Best of luck with the surgery and enjoy the little time you have in my second hometown!
    M_WarerigpigEvanAaronWebstey
  • Options
    ShepherdShepherd Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @bbculp is one hundred percent correct on both accounts. At Juniper and Ivy, get the oysters. Fantastic. Actually, the food there is great top to bottom. Crack Shack next door has some mean fried chicken, too.
    AaronWebsteyrigpig

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch