frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

RICE bad - Who knew?

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
OK, I thought I read lots about this sports nitwittery subject. Back when I used to run trails for hours, I would enjoy a soak in a cool stream immediately after. Seemed to be a good thing. I listened to the Ultra folks.
Am I the only one that didn't know that the icing protocol has fallen from favor? Seems there is some science behind this statement and it's several years old. I'd appreciate hearing opinions but also hearing if everyone else has already heard about this. Does this also mean that the contrast protocol is out?
http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!

Comments

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    For the initial injury RICE still applies as it helps with the initial injury. Say for the first couple of hours. After that it’s comfortable heat. My PT has been recommending this approach for a long time. They apply heat pads after a session when they hook you up to the rack or tens machine. He even told me to stop turmeric supplementation for a week after an injury just to allow the body’s response mechanism to ramp the healing process up. Ive stopped taking ibuprofen for all but the worst hangovers. These days I also seem to be operating under the premise of don’t move and you don’t get hurt.
    Tad_M
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited February 8
    Case closed, I'm the only one that missed this , I'll be more careful with my reading on TRS. I do recall this now, and have no idea why it didn't sink in.
    #Sworry @Adrienne, very well done indeed.

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    I'd forgotten how enjoyable ranty @Adrienne was to read!
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MCraig_DM_WareA_drizzle

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch