frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

WTC overhauls Kona Qualification for Pros

MattMatt Member, Administrator
edited December 2017 in Main
Ironman is going back to a slot-based qualification system for pros in 2019.
  • Kona will offer 100 pro qualifying slots. Male and female pros will have an equal number of guaranteed slots at ~37 each.
  • The remaining “floating slots,” will be handed out at certain qualifying races in proportion to the number of pros competing.
  • 70.3 Will Not Qualify Anyone for Kona
  • 70.3 Worlds qualification will work on the same slot system, but 85 each (remember: 2-day event)
WC Winners—and Now Podium Finishers—Return Automatically
  • Past Ironman and 70.3 world champions do not have to re-qualify for 5 years. (with validation)
  • New: 2nd and 3rd place at the world championships get a 1 year exemption. (with validation)
IM starting Sept. 9, 2018 at Ironman Gurye Korea, Ironman Wisconsin, and Ironman Wales for the Ironman World Championship,
70.3 starting July 8, 2018 at Ironman 70.3 Jönköping and Ironman 70.3 Ecuador for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship.

The first world championships under the new policy will take place in 2019.
AaronWebsteybalsdorfrangamelMamaCheetahRobert RankinCraig DMartinmbrekk44fyrehaarHSeeley14

Comments

• Options
    This is pretty cool. Will be interesting
    AaronWebsteyMartin
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Anyone else feel like this is a middle finger to the #5Q movement? What a fucking joke. Love the new rules except the complete horse shit "floating spots" aka "a slightly different way to implement inequality".
    MamaCheetahIanLHSeeley14
  • Options
    Wishing for an opinion from @bbculp here.
  • Options
    Love almost everything about this move. I don't necessarily hate the floating spots. I'd prefer 50 and 50 because it's [almost] 2018 and that's the right thing to do, especially from a PR standpoint. But at the same time, if it were 50 and 50 with this new system, the pro men would have a legitimate argument that it's easier to qualify for the women. I think 35 and 35 would be ideal. This could shake out that we have 60 or more men racing in Kona and that's way too many for a fair race.
    AaronWebsteyMartinrangamelHSeeley14
  • Options
    I owe you an #IronCoin @bbculp . Well said.
    bbculpTad_MachrowiczJohns622simonsen77HSeeley14
  • Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete
    Can anybody do some quick math. Lets say from the last qualifying period who many pro women would be at Kona?
    AaronWebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Sralston my rough guess is it'll end up being like 43-47 women (out of 100) in the new system. PLUS, the auto qualifiers.
    AaronWebsteybbculpRobert Rankin
  • Options

@Sralston my rough guess is it'll end up being like 43-47 women (out of 100) in the new system. PLUS, the auto qualifiers.

Sounds about right. I was thinking it'd work out to about 55 men and 45 women. Still way too many of both.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Well I guess that looks like Wisconsin will be a pro Race again. Wonder if it’ll be male/female or just one.
    First year “pro” triathlete and first time dad! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @bbculp you don't think 85 is a good number?
    bbculp
  • Options

@bbculp you don't think 85 is a good number?

Guess I'm among the 99.99% of triathletes who thought 85 made zero sense.
  • Options
    jocemccauleyjocemccauley Member, Pro Triathlete
    Interesting move... it will make it a choosing game on IM races. You have to perfectly execute a race in order to get to Kona. Now you can solidly execute a race a handful of times and make it.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladobbculpKelly O'MaraCraig DAaronWebstey
    - Jocelyn McCauley
    Website-Facebook-Twitter-Strava-
  • Options
    So Kona is now to triathlon as Augusta is to golf. Win, and you get an exemption. I like this rule.

Are there even 85 pros to fill the 70.3 slots?
    bbculp said:

This could shake out that we have 60 or more men racing in Kona and that's way too many for a fair race.

WTC have shown a remarkable ability to run unfair races with far fewer than 60 pros.
    Tad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteybbculpfyrehaar
  • Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete
    How about we adopt a system like college football and rank everybody? No one seems to disagree about Alabama being in the playoffs.....
    Martinsimonsen77Craig DAaronWebsteyMattNotSoFatLewHolty
  • Options

Now you can solidly execute a race a handful of times and make it.

wait how does this make sense?
  • Options
    jocemccauleyjocemccauley Member, Pro Triathlete

In the current system you can get top 5 at 2 regional champs etc. The new system you have to get top2 or win a race.
    - Jocelyn McCauley
    Website-Facebook-Twitter-Strava-
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Sralston said:

How about we adopt a system like college football and rank everybody? No one seems to disagree about Alabama being in the playoffs.....

Don't get me started on college football. Alabama doesn't belong :)
    Sralston

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options

In the current system you can get top 5 at 2 regional champs etc. The new system you have to get top2 or win a race.
    i misunderstood your sentence structure; now it makes sense.
    jocemccauley
  • Options

Sralston said:

If you think Ohio St belongs in over Bama, you belong on ST.

A ranking system would never work. There are maybe 5 people in the world pathetic enough to follow triathlon so closely that they're qualified to rank 100+ athletes (I'm one of them...Webstey is pathetic but not qualified), and none of us would want that responsibility.
    AaronWebsteyJohns622Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    This new system is pretty much back to the old way (with some tweaks) before the KPR was developed. Interested to see how they handle roll downs.

And I am calling it now, Pete Jacobs won't be in Kona again (ever).

fyrehaarRobert RankinAaronWebsteyMartinccochrane
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited December 2017
    bbculp said:

Sralston said:

I'm a Michigan fan and hate Ohio State. Also screw Urban Meyer! Alabama wasn't even ranked in the top 2 of their own conference though. How do they get in ahead of Auburn who just beat them and won their division in the SEC? 4 team playoff is no better than BCS is all I'm saying /end rant

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options

This new system is pretty much back to the old way (with some tweaks) before the KPR was developed. Interested to see how they handle roll downs.

And I am calling it now, Pete Jacobs won't be in Kona again (ever).

Bold prediction, Cocks! If it were 2013
    Craig Didking90KenElPescadoPeladoRashEmilyCocksccochranefyrehaar
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey he had a 5 year exemption for 13-17 so it would have been a really bold call.
    Kelly O'MarabalsdorfAaronWebstey
  • Options

@AaronWebstey he had a 5 year exemption for 13-17 so it would have been a really bold call.

sick burn.
    balsdorfCraig Dbbculpidking90MartinJennifer PostAaronWebstey
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Isn’t there some thing buried in the annals that technically he can come back as an age grouper forever? That the five year exemption is only for Pro field, but past champions are welcome back for life otherwise?
  • Options
    @idking90 yeah, they used to have that (and might still). I have not looked lately to see if it is in the rules. He probably wouldn't even be the top amatuer.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator

the top amatuer.

I see what you did there.
    Robert RankinM_Waresimonsen77MartinCraig DKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Matt said:

the top amatuer.

I see what you did there.
    ha. I am not that clever. Typo or I am stupid. your choice.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MachrowiczMatt
  • Options
    DHansenTriDHansenTri Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Thorston put out some good numbers and was an interesting read https://trirating.com/

Considering people who qualified for Kona but wouldn't under the slot system, or examples of the hypothetical roll downs plus the consideration that athletes that did race may not have otherwise done so given an earlier season victory / qualification.
    AaronWebstey
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Sralston said:

A ranking system would never work. There are maybe 5 people in the world pathetic enough to follow triathlon so closely that they're qualified to rank 100+ athletes (I'm one of them...Webstey is pathetic but not qualified), and none of us would want that responsibility.
    This might be the best comment i've read in my short time on the roost!
    M_WareCraig DTad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteyMartinKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch