frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Tri Cycling Shoes - Shimano TR9?

RashRash Member
Anyone have the Shimano TR9's? I currently have and hate Pearl Izumi's. They are just too small and the opening is horribly designed for flying mounts/dismounts. Once you step on the tops they basically velcro themselves closed. I have done two races with the straps completely pulled out as a result of wrestling with them.

I used to have Shimano's and they couldn't have been more comfortable or easy to get on and off for flying mounts/dismounts. The TR9's are unfortunately VERY blue with no other color options, however at this point I fully understand that I look like an idiot so might as well be comfortable.

If no TR9's, any others you have and like (keeping in mind I still attempt flying mounts and ride/run sockless).

Comments

• Options
    Are your feet wide? I have, and like the PI's, but also have narrow feet. My one peeve with them is, like you said, the upper closure could be better designed with their retention tabs for quick mounts.

Other shoes I have and like are DMT's
    https://www.dmtcycling.com/en/triathlon
    But these are quite narrow, too.

For the price, you'll be hard pressed to beat Shimano's offerings, though.
    Rash
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf My heels and mid-foot are narrow, however my forefoot must be wide because all my running shoe issues seem to come in that area. My PI's are actually too short (size 48). Not sure what deal I got, but my cheap ass has been riding with my toes smashed up against the front hoping they will stretch out for the past 3 years. I loved my Shimano's, but they were actually a bit wide across the heel and mid-foot and stretched out to the point I could take them off without undoing the straps.

You are right though - the value on the Shimano's ($135-199) is hard to beat. Might give them another crack.
  • Options
    @Rash You can never go wrong with Sidi

But, you know, $$$$$$$$$$
    RashMartin
  • Options
    I've tried on a few pairs of Sidi's over the years wanting to like them and never have found them comfortable. I am, of course, in the minority there just as I am with my dislike of Castelli.
    Matt
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Sidi are too narrow for my feet and uncomfortable.
    Can't go wrong with Northwave, I've used the TriSonic and Extreme models.
    Rash
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I have the TR9. They're comfortable and fine, but you can tell they're costing you speed just by looking at them. They're wide as hell with way too much padding in my opinion. I had the TR30s (think that's the one) before and I liked them better.

Jim took a pair with him during his Specialized win tunnel visit. I believe his data back up the slowness.
    AaronWebsteyRash
    ______

• Options
    Maybe I should try the @ThomasGerlachProTri Giro mod.
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I impulse bought a pair of the LG Signature 84...they looked cool and the price was minimal. Gonna try the laces mod if I ever find some free time.
    ______

• Options
    I found a deal on the Shimano's and grabbed a pair. They only had them in a 47, however most of my Shimano shoes always seem to run big so I am gambling they will fit. I am going to likely also grab a pair of Giro Empire's as well then compare the two. If the Giro's are comfortable, I'll ditch the Shimano's and ruin them like @ThomasGerlachProTri and I believe @AJ Baucco to make them flying mount compatible. If neither fit, perhaps will give Northwave and DMT a shot.

The bad thing (the absolutely only bad thing, I swear, everything else like the weather is perfect) about living in small town America is I can't try on a tri shoe anywhere within a 2 hour drive. Even if a store actually carries a tri shoe, they don't stock boat size.
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Rash I have a pair (women's) that I like. I previously was in Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly something or other that were still pretty pricey and I went to get fit by Ivan O'Gorman. He took one look at my PIs, called them shit and told me to come back to a follow-up appointment with a better set of shoes. After much research (including zooming in on pro athlete instagrams where I knew he had fit them around the same time), the Shimanos it was. Easy to get on and off after a flying mount. Comfortable for IM distance.
    Dried quickly and breathable. Stiff. I'm happy with my choice, though don't know the aero factor.
    Rash
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    I also lucked out with a white pair so don't look like a total asshole.
    idking90RashKenElPescadoPelado
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Rash the hacked up empires are comfortable, but I still can't do a flying mount in them. I've got boat feet too, and am a size bigger in the giros than I am in LG and Mavic shoes
    Rash

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete
    A few people have referenced them but the giros are some nice shoes! I went with the less expensive version, cut the tongue out and had a loop sewed on the back for easy entry while on the bike. They’re light and breathable which is great too. I’d say try in a few pairs if you can and see which fit best.
    M_Ware
    First year “pro” triathlete and first time dad! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Love my Giro Meles. Looks like this model might be on its way out though.

Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch