frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

GPS watch that’s “pretty”

Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Mom is running her first half marathon and wants a gps watch. I’m recommending practical, but she wants pretty? Anyone know any entry level watches that aren’t garbage that also look “pretty”. She was looking at Fitbit but my wife had one a couple years ago and the gps was really inaccurate. Maybe they’ve gotten better?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    RashRash Member
    Since you didn't mention a budget and I assume the sky is the limit for dear Mom, try this. Should hold her over until the really nice ones come out next year.

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Not sure it qualifies as pretty, but lots of people comment that they like my 735xt.
    RashRobert RankinGasBomb
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options
    Love my mom, not wealthy. Really looking for a running watch. If she gets a 735 then I’ll have to cave and finally get one for myself.

• Options
    RashRash Member
    Have you checked out @DC Rainmaker gadget recommendations yet? He usually addresses watches and goes by price ranges. Maybe see if any of those are "pretty".

link

Robert RankinM_Ware
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    I have a Forerunner 235 - looks exactly like @M_Ware ‘s watch but just not as smart. My 62 year old mom liked it so much I bought her one for her birthday and she loves it. Good, basic GPS and running watch and my mom likes the push notifications when paired with phone.
    M_WareRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombTad_MachrowiczAaronWebstey
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    As @maggieru says, the 235 is great, I only went to the 735 because this cult sucked me in to swimming.
    kjrunninGasBombTad_MachrowiczKenElPescadoPeladorigpigAaronWebsteymaggieruNotSoFatLew
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    My Fenix 3 HR is gorgeous...
    Provided your wife has forearms and wrists the size of Andre the Giant. (comparatively, mine are delicate)

• Options
    For the same money as the 235, I'd probably get the vivoactive 3. Maybe not as many colorful bands, but more functional as an everyday watch, and packs more features than the 235. Plus it looks a little more "everyday watch-ey" than the 235 that says "sports watch." I really don't see why garmin offers it for that price, other than that they have to compete with the apple watch at ~300. Speaking of, there's the apple watch, but battery life with the GPS on might be on the iffy side for a recreational marathoner.
    simonsen77
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Basic GPS watch? You can find smoking deals on the Garmin Forerunner 15 now. Pretty darn basic , comes in regular size and smaller size for smaller wrists and comes in colour options.
    Robert RankinAaronWebsteyPreachSwanson
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    The fitbit's GPS is shit. And they asked me 'how do you know it's not accurate' and I was like, bitch, because I know what speed I run and it's not 11:30 miles.

This is the fancy af one everyone I know has in white and rose gold: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/516264/pn/010-01338-50#
    kjrunninAaronWebstey
  • Options

The fitbit's GPS is shit. And they asked me 'how do you know it's not accurate' and I was like, bitch, because I know what speed I run and it's not 11:30 miles.

This is the fancy af one everyone I know has in white and rose gold: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/516264/pn/010-01338-50#

Good to know fitbit hasn't changed. Really once the price point gets in the $300 range I'm tending to lean more towards an apple watch. I've never used the run feature on mine, but imagine it's not bad. Looking at the vivoactive HR. Don't need all the bells and whistles. She'll probably use it mostly as a step counter but want the GPS feature as well. Thanks all for the recommendations.

• Options
    Craig DCraig D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Polar has some good products as well if you're open to something like that. I'm very happy with my V800. Several coworkers have lower models that they are really happy with too.
    Robert Rankin
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Garmin FR 35 is also a pretty good option. Gets bluetooth notifications, has optical HR (though I still wear a strap for hard workouts because I find that’s better once I start sweating), works as step counter/activity tracker, and is about the same size and look as an Apple Watch.
    The GPS chip is pretty clearly a lower grade one, as I do get robbed quite a bit of distance on the track or other fast running with tight turns. And there’s some pretty serious pace smoothing evident when starting from a stop. But I’ve been fairly happy with it since switching from my 920 that I was only using to run and look like an astronaut with as a daily watch.
    Robert RankinTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    I had a v800 for a very long time and it worked great. I now have a Fenix 5S and it tills the Apple Watch IMO... good luck thought, buying for women is tough stuff
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch