frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Things to do in Montreal

Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
I will be in Montreal the first weekend of December for the LCD Soundsystem concert. Assuming I have already been banned from every strip club, any suggestions for things to do?
Mattellsworth53t

Comments

• Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Go up Mont Royal. @Matt is a terrific guide.

Eat smoked meat. (Have at it with the dick jokes TRS)

I really enjoyed parts of the Musee des Beaux Arts, but parts were a little dull.

Wander around Vieux Montreal. Have a drink.
    MattDark_mark
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    edited November 8
    Damn. I'm out of town until Dec 8th.

Food: Anthony Bourdain's The Layover and No Reservations episodes.

Notables: St Viateur (Bagels), Schwartz's (Smoked Meat), La Banquise (Poutine)

my favourite bar is Big in Japan

As for specific types of cuisine, it'll depend on where you're staying but there's always tons of great options. Lots of great coffee shops, bars, and "12 other exciting things to do". But skip Igloofest, unless you want to rave on MDMA with a bunch of 18 & 19 year-olds, in the cold.

Other December attractions that aren't strip clubs.

Thanks @Brent_R - it was a pleasure!
    Dark_mark
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Whatever you do, don't wear a burka.
    MattDark_mark
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Me
    Dark_markidking90mbrekk44
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Dark_mark said:

I will be in Montreal the first weekend of December for the LCD Soundsystem concert.

I hate you so much right now
    Dark_mark
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    +1 for Mont Royal. Run up and watch the sunrise if the weather permits.

I usually spend a fair amount of time weeping, questioning my life choices and trying to book an earlier flight home but I doubt you'll be visiting my mom so you should be good.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCraig DwchevronAaronWebsteyAlexSStruang

• Options
    Also, I'd have given you a tour of our HQ.
    Dark_mark
  • Options
    I'll try to nurse this mildly broken or badly sprained ankle back to health before your visit if you need someone to run into the ground while you are here.
    AaronWebsteyM_Ware
  • Options

Dark_mark said:

I will be in Montreal the first weekend of December for the LCD Soundsystem concert.

I hate you so much right now
    Not sold out: http://www.evenko.ca/en/events/12798/lcd-soundsystem/place-bell/12-02-2017
    M_WareDark_mark
  • Options
    @Martin I just ran for the first time in 8 months. Not that I was good before.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Go swim in the Olympic Park pool. I've tried to do that in as many post Olympic cities as possible, where permitted. Kind of cool to do a workout where history was made.
    http://parcolympique.qc.ca/en/the-park/sports-centre/
    M_WareCraig DAaronWebsteyyournotunique

• Options
    lol swim
    M_WareMattkjrunninsimonsen77Craig DRobert RankinAaronWebsteyidking90MartinTad_MachrowiczBrent_Ryournotunique
  • Options
    All, please tell me more about this Mont Royal. is there a trail to take to the top? Is it worth it? Is there a strip club at the top?
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    In French 'Mont Royal' and 'Montreal' sound almost the same hth
    Dark_mark
  • Options
    Dark_mark said:

All, please tell me more about this Mont Royal. is there a trail to take to the top? Is it worth it? Is there a strip club at the top?

Depending on where you are staying and how far you want to run, it is possible to run past approximately 37 exotic dance clubs and 14 smoked meat restaurants on your way there. There are two main roads up, one off Avenue des Pins, and one sort of off Avenue du Parc, but you can access it from all sides. Once on the mountain, you can stick to the gravel roads, or head onto the trail system. There is a loop at the top that takes you past the radio-tv towers, and a very large cross that is lit up at night. Night runs on Mount Royal are pretty cool. The views of the city at night are great.

If you feel strong, you can also run up Camillien Houde, which is a sorta legendary hill used in the GP every year.
    AaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    edited November 10
    Dark_mark said:

Yes. Yes. There can be if you want there to be.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107164947
  • Options
    That drop at 7km was the stairs. It's more fun to take the long way down on the gravel path.
  • Options
    I am not exercising on this trip. Stop telling me to run. Let me be fat.
    AaronWebsteyidking90
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    So run it sloooowly. Like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/52849788
    In my defense, it was 2-days post marathon and I had jet lag and also I'm just really slow.

I remember when I was running down there was someone doing TRX with a personal trainer, with the straps attached to a tree. No, not the same as a strip club but a sight nonetheless. I texted my trainer after and asked him to promise never to tie me to a tree.

As an aside, I think it's cool to be on Strava segments with team mates who live nowhere near you. I know. #nerd
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Still beautiful to just walk it.
  • Options
    @Matt That’s on me. I totally underestimated how many people would be on those stairs. And how many stairs there were. And how not fun it is to run down stairs.
    AaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    +17 for Mont Royal. And walk it. It's really just a gorgeous park on a hill that overlooks all of Montreal. In the summer there are families picnicking and shit. It's nice. There's a pavilion with food vendors and those touristy binocular things. Do it.

My restaurants:
    Park: sushi, with a sometimes South American, and occasionally Korean, twist. some of the best you'll ever have. do the omakase and sit at the counter, the chef is a really cool dude and they play really good old school hip hop most of the time. He will happily chat nonstop all dinner about it, too.
    Nudo: Chinese noodle house. It's good and very inexpensive
    Cantinho de Lisboa: little Portuguese pastry/breakfast spot near Notre Dame
    Maison Publique: French gastropub. They have (had?) oysters as big as my hand
    Damas: really good Syrian food
    Au Pied de Cochon: the only answer for where to get poutine
    Joe Beef/Le Vin Papillon: don't ask, just go. sort of two restaurants in one, and Joe Beef is a Montreal institution

Also, go to the Olympic Park and go through the biosphere. If it were summer I'd say do the botanical garden, but I can't imagine it will be as nice, or even open, in the winter.

Oh, go to Notre Dame. It's a tourist trap, but it's pretty impressive.
    Matt
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

• Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

do the omakase and sit at the counter, the chef is a really cool dude and they play really good old school hip hop most of the time. He will happily chat nonstop all dinner about it, too.

I've seen that guy before... G-Fresh!

Matt
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch