frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Culprit Aero Stem and Aerobars

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Check this out!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/culprit-aerodynamic-stem-and-clip-on-aerobars-bicycle

"The ONLY stem that conceals Di2, mechanical cables with access and aerobars with a wide range fit."

@Culpritbicycles has moved past frames and on to making the kick-assiest stem on the planet. Anyone who donates gets 20 bonus points toward November POTM. Seriously, please check it out - as some of you know, I have an incredible Culprit bike that I've been riding for a couple years now, thanks to Culprit's generousity and belief in our now-failed TRS empire.

Discuss! Josh will answer questions here, too.

W
M_WareHSeeley14

Comments

• Options
    That looks very slick. If I was in the market for a new stem I would totally go for it.

I hate how people ruin beautiful bikes with shitty cable routing.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I almost pulled the trigger, but I just don't like the look of the stem for whatever reason. I like everything about it minus the way it looks.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @AaronWebstey "Riding"? Should it be "have ridden at some point in the past few years".
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebstey
  • Options
    I got on the Indigogo. I'm not 100% satisfied with the looks but I hate have the Di2 Junction box and wires sticking out everywhere.
    I was looking at the new Kestrel 5000 Sl etap version. The blip box is stuck on the stem with the wires routed to it. It's a $7000 bike. Nobody thought to make front aero brake cover a bit deeper, in front of the head tube, so the blipbox could fit in it. Or a Di2 junction box. Instead they have wires all over the place. Makes the electronic shifting look like an afterthought.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    wchevron said:

I got on the Indigogo. I'm not 100% satisfied with the looks but I hate have the Di2 Junction box and wires sticking out everywhere.
    I was looking at the new Kestrel 5000 Sl etap version. The blip box is stuck on the stem with the wires routed to it. It's a $7000 bike. Nobody thought to make front aero brake cover a bit deeper, in front of the head tube, so the blipbox could fit in it. Or a Di2 junction box. Instead they have wires all over the place. Makes the electronic shifting look like an afterthought.

Woohoo!! Thanks!! Badge/points to come tonight.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    @wchevron

FYI the bikes were likely designed before eTap was released, so many of the design teams didn't plan on incorporating it properly. Also SRAM's not that great at OEM (but getting better), so designers didn't even bother.

Also, the 5000SL looks like a re-paint of the Planet X EXO3 or the new Jamis..
  • Options
    Kestrel is ......... yah... Just leave it there. Your comment Matt is correct...

For the cover, the thing is, we had to find a way to attach it that didn't interfere with cables. If I did a center bolt on top as part of headset compression then you actually block the cables at the back and that affects rotation of the handlebar. So we had to attach on the side for strength to hold down the cover and to offer better range of rotation of the cables.

Stem is bulkier than other stems because... When you run cables fully internal.ie. my road bike is now from road bar through bar bore and into a frame directly. You need about a 6x20 mm hole to safely route those 4 cables with smooth shifting. So I had to make the stem wider to accommodate internal routing design. As well as the width in front based on fitting the new di2 controller so you have access to adjust and recharge from outside as No tri bike offering for ease from Shimano for di2

I really hope more of you can back. There are 3 great items on pre order

Thanks

Joshua
    simonsen77AaronWebsteywchevron
  • Options
    Just checking - the stem is alloy?
  • Options

Joshua
    Martin said:

Just checking - the stem is alloy?

Yes, its alloy. to bring down unit price and also due to tolerances alloy gets a tighter tolerance by cnc

Martin
  • Options
    @Culpritbicycles - Josh, where do you ship from? Is it overseas or the US? Just trying to figure out what the USD$60 is going to look like in CAD$ by the time one of these gets to Montreal...

@Matt - these things are probably worth a solid 0.5 on BAAW?
    Craig DTad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    Shipping from taiwan
  • Options
    Matt said:

@wchevron

FYI the bikes were likely designed before eTap was released, so many of the design teams didn't plan on incorporating it properly. Also SRAM's not that great at OEM (but getting better), so designers didn't even bother.

Also, the 5000SL looks like a re-paint of the Planet X EXO3 or the new Jamis..

I've got the same beef with Di2. The 5 port junction box is smaller than the Blip box yet only a select few manufacturers seem to have found a way to hide it.
    I was just using the Kestrel as an example. Several other $4-$5000 bikes that have the Di2 box exposed. The argon 119 has everything hidden, super clean look. The argon 117, on the other hand, has the junction box strapped to the stem. To me, it looks like an afterthought, although I'm sure it wasn't.
    Maybe aerodynamically it doesn't make a difference but I personally like a clean, uncluttered look, even if I'm sacrificing a bit of aerodynamics.
    Mattmbrekk44
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    edited November 2
    I hear you loud and clear and will be speaking with the design team about this.
    However, with the new Dura Ace and Ultegra, the 5-port junction is gone, so you won' t have this problem any more.
  • Options
    It's one of the reasons I didn't pull the trigger on the 117 when I was looking at a new bike.

If only someone was making a stem that would hide all the wires and boxes..... ;)
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Wchevron. What stack reach numbers do you need? As I can tell you what my clip on and bar numbers are adding to your frame stack/reach.

-17 is actually not that common on spec unless built into a custom cockpit/ TT bike set up. Most aftermarket products are less agressive....

A -17 can easily be achieved in the base. Problem being the top.(tooling cost is highest on my covers)..... Full alloy, slightly different design without as much ease of access I can def make full cnc, but higher unit pricing of course.
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Honestly, I'm most excited about the saddle bag...but does that actually fit a 29er tube in it? I've had wayyyyy too many saddle bags that claimed "easily fits a CO2, levers, multi-tool, and 2 road or 1 MTB tube" and I get stuck putting the tube in my jersey pocket for every ride.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Yes tube fits in elastic strap outside bag and pulls into rails.

29er tube fits.

Looking forward to your pre order.

Mtb review coming on bag soon
  • Options
    Not looking too good on the Indiegogo.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Im well aware. Designs good. No idea why so few backera....

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch