frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Bike Purchasing/Selling Decisions: Tell Me What to Do.

maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
edited September 22 in Main
I love my road bike, despite the fact that it's slightly too small for me and the geometry is slightly off for my frame and it's a black/yellow color combo (if you care about that kind of superficial thing). Originally retailed for $3500, though I got a slight discount through a local bike shop on account of being a friend. Pro's Closet has told me they could likely sell it for $1800... but offered me $900. I'm currently being tempted by disc brake road bikes (oh shush, I ride my road bike on a lot of gravel and in nasty conditions) and am considering buying a new bike.

Do I:
  1. Cut my losses and realize my time is valuable and take Pro's Closet's paltry $900? Then go buy a whole new bike?
  2. Sell the bike on my own, maybe make more, maybe less and then go buy a whole new bike?
  3. Try to strip the bike, sell the frame and buy a new frame, and move all components over to a new frame?
  4. Try to use my current cross bike as a multi-purpose bike? Though that requires swapping cranks and tires.
Confounding factors:
  • I have my own wheels and crank/powermeter already, though if I do choose to go disc brakes—that wouldn't help me out any.
  • I also have a cyclocross bike (currently 1x) that I could potentially switch to a multi-purpose bike by putting on a new crank and swapping out cross tires for slicks. BUT I don't love the idea of that extra work and swapping back and forth all the time during cross season.
What would you do? Please make a decision for this extraordinarily indecisive person.
MamaCheetah
insta: @magrusch

Comments

• Options
    You sure the bike is too small? You have no seat post.

Also, I have a cross and a roadie. I ride my cross bike all the time. 2 wheelsets makes the swap a lot easier. I have a compact road on it, so don't bother swapping cranks, just ride the 50/34 if I race CX, and stick to the bigger cogs in back. For a 1x, you'd be suffering one way or the other (either ring too small for road, or swap to road ring and it's too big for 'cross). Or, you know, just keep a couple extra links in the chain and swap rings when you need to.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf yeah... actually the seat post is super dropped in that shot. It's been bothering me for some time so I was playing around with it. Right now I feel like I'm riding a clown car/bike.

I like the idea of a compact though... hm, thank you!
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Well you're still working a grown-up job right? So while your time is valuable, I'm guessing you're not in a rush to make food/rent money like so many other pros out there. Unless you live in a shoebox and need the space, I'd see what interest you can stir up via Facebook groups like Tri N Sell It before dumping it for peanuts.
    maggieruidking90
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    If your looking for a really good (do it all) bike, the new specialized diverges look like the real deal. Disc brakes, many options for gearing pending on which model you choose (1x or compact). There is a huge range of price points from the 9k s-works, to the E5 model that lists for 1k. There are 8 models between! The future shock technology with 20mm of travel in the steer tube. Clearence for up to 42mm tyres. And it's supposed to be way more of a road bike that can handle anything, instead of a cross bike that can be ridden on the road or gravel. This bike could take over for both of your bikes, unless you are super particular on racing cross. I haven't rode one yet, but am pretty interested once I'm riding again, with the main purpose of gravel riding. But I have a serious n+1 bike problem. http://road.cc/content/tech-news/224253-specialized-diverge-2018-future-shock-wider-tyres-and-revised-geometry
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyM_Waremaggieru
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Great title on your post ! Suggest a bunch of type A triathletes tell you what to do...? You will be into a new pair of glasses and another AG before you finish reading it all !!
    KenElPescadoPeladombrekk44kjrunninwchevronM_WareAaronWebsteymaggieruNotSoFatLew
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited September 22
    1. The "keep components" idea is probably not worthwhile, since your disc brifters will be expensive anyway.
    2. Please take this as constructively as possible, but telling people that you've been offered $1000 for it is probably not going to get them to bid much more than $1001. If you ask 1300 and get 1200, you are $400 ahead of where you were with the pros closet. I would aim for that but give myself a time limit of one week and then take the $800 offer and move on.

You should check with @ThomasGerlachProTri on pricing, since he has commented in the past that pro triathletes are terrible at pricing their old bikes for sale. I believe this was in reference to (allegedly) Andy Potts' Kestrel on eBay. (Joking, not joking.)
    KenElPescadoPeladoidking90maggieru
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Martin said:

1. The "keep components" idea is probably not worthwhile, since your disc brifters will be expensive anyway.
    2. Please take this as constructively as possible, but telling people that you've been offered $1000 for it is probably not going to get them to bid much more than $1001. If you ask 1300 and get 1200, you are $400 ahead of where you were with the pros closet. I would aim for that but give myself a time limit of one week and then take the $800 offer and move on.

You should check with @ThomasGerlachProTri on pricing, since he has commented in the past that pro triathletes are terrible at pricing their old bikes for sale. I believe this was in reference to (allegedly) Andy Potts' Kestrel on eBay. (Joking, not joking.)

A++, would read & heed post from poster again.
    M_WareAaronWebstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Maggie, you're a female pro. Female NARPs adore you, not to mention female triathlete amateurs. You literally can't post something online without my sister liking it in less than 5 minutes. My mom too.

Post the bike on Tri N Sell It and Online Swap meet, and make sure you mention several times that you went 9:42 in a 145 mile IRONMAN. Bonus points if you can intimate that this bike provides racing superpowers.

This is like the hot girl in high school that thinks she can't get a date to the prom.
    OverBiker_SamMartinAaronWebsteyCraig DPevashishDaulidking90M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoscottyAlexS
  • Options
    @Martin great points - appreciate it! Always glad to have the dry run with you guys before posting elsewhere :)
    Martin
  • Options
    @PubliusValerius if only this was a race bike, and not my training bike... but good point. I've definitely seen that happen elsewhere, but at more of a higher level (e.g. top name female pro used to have a secret "pricing sheet" that got passed around end of each season).

Also, I think the only reason your family likes me is because I obviously inspired your transition from fellow failed college athlete stumbling around Penn to becoming a half-decent triathlete.

AaronWebsteyPubliusValerius
  • Options
    Use your credit card for what it's for: buying expensive stuff and then paying it off gradually.

(is that a joke?)
    KenElPescadoPeladoPubliusValeriusEvan

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch