frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Team Confusion at Toughman NY

I need your help. Vote below.

In thanking our Toughman crew for a great, fun time, I posted and tagged @Lew22 instead of my new friend @FatLew . Lew is a unique name, and Lew is not fat, so this error is understandable. #Sworry

My dilemma though lies in the name of @OverBiker_Sam ......
Coming into transition, Sam launched over his bullhorns and crashed hard. He was transported and released. We are all thankful he will be OK, and wish him a speedy recovery from a broken hand and soft tissue damage in time for Toughman next year.
Not all in vain, Sam caused @Craig D To overbike in a friendly teammate challenge, resulting in a truly Toughman run leg.

Craig DMamaCheetah
  1. What will solve this problem?27 votes
    1. Sam's name should change to "FlyovermyBiker_Sam"
      25.93%
    2. Craig's name should change to "OverBiker_Craig_D"
        3.70%
    3. Lew's name should change to "NotFatLew"
      11.11%
    4. All of the Above
      59.26%

Comments

• Options
    It should be Sam_OverBike I think.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAdrienneKuchCraig DAaronWebsteyMattTad_MachrowiczNotSoFatLewShepherdscottyRashfyrehaaryournotuniqueMamaCheetahGasBombHSeeley14
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options

It should be Sam_OverBike I think.

Drop mic; thread closed!

HAHAHA

Sworry @OverBiker_Sam, I laugh with you, not at your misfortune.
    OverBiker_SamMamaCheetah
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    This shit is going down for sure next year. @OverBiker_Sam promised us an epic self destruction on the run due to living up to his handle. I tried to encourage this with a little team competition inspired smack talk. (Same age group, close 70.3 results)Get better soon buddy. Hate to see you go down like that. Looking forward to "power walking" past you at Mile 12 while you're dry heaving in the bushes. I'll probably join you for that matter.
    AaronWebsteyMamaCheetahkjrunnin
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    edited September 19
    I vote for Over-da-biker-Sam / Zipper-lock-Lew / Keto-leg-Craig
    Tad_MachrowiczCraig DMamaCheetah
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz a few weeks into the off season and a couple posts into the donut thread and I'll be back at FatLew
    KenElPescadoPeladoCraig DM_WareTad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteysimonsen77AlexSyournotuniqueMamaCheetahAdriennePreachSwansonRobert Rankintoebutt769HSeeley14

• Options
    Wish I could edit the poll, @simonsen77 wins for sure!
    AaronWebsteysimonsen77Craig D

• Options
    Thanks, guys I have to laugh at this. But again, the Percocet makes a lot of things funny right now. I'm using voice to text because my hand doesn't work so that should add to the humor here even more.

First of all I want to take the time to really thank Craig and Mark who picked my sorry ass up from the hospital and drove me home to NJ. My memories little shaky, but I think Josh was also there to help when I went down like an idiot. I got to explain my wife that a couple of guys I know from the Internet and the "joke me off Guy" were in charge my care. That was an interesting conversation. One of many interesting conversations we've had over the last two days regarding what happened at the race.

So to answer the question what happened - I screwed up the dismount in a really big way. When I was taking my feet out of the shoes, the right shoe/pedal rotated and ended up spearing the ground heel first, so the release mechanism didn't trigger. This did some combination of stopping the bike and actually rotating it like somebody had put a stick in the front spokes. I went down hard on the side of my head, left shoulder and hip, and had my right hand out to catch myself.

As expected, I have some pretty dramatic road rash – including some the doctor offered to stitch up - a broken right hand, and some soft tissue damage in my shoulder that makes it impossible to lift my arm. The ER doc was actually shocked that the collarbone was not shattered. I guess there are advantages to being a big fat triathlete and not a scrawny cyclist.

I'm hoping for a fast recovery. Aruba is definitely out, but I'm hoping to be healthy in time for Israman - maybe a run relay if not a swim!

Next year I'll be back to battle Craig in the old man age group, and I expect you all to be there to hand out the beers at the finish!
    KuchAaronWebsteyM_Waresimonsen77Craig DwchevronNotSoFatLewKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MachrowiczAlexSMattRashfyrehaaryournotuniquemaggieruMamaCheetahmbrekk44PreachSwansonRobert RankinAdriennebalsdorfet5504
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    Can't wait to see you next year Sam! Speedy recovery. (understandably difficult with voice text to alter your forum name)

• Options
    Happy to hear that you're *relatively* ok. And offering some thoughts and wishes for your bike, which seems to escape with very minor damage, at least on initial inspection.

Also, I'd like to take credit for the probably prize-winning picture of a splayed out @OverBiker_Sam that @PreachSwanson posted in the Toughman thread. It was a perfect storm of being in the right place at the right time, good lighting, and a dedicated sense of being a true photojournalist and not caring about what I'm actually taking pictures of (and getting Sam's permission, of course).
    Tad_MachrowiczCraig D
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

• Options
    @OverBiker_Sam I am so glad you are okay(ish). Get better and come back to finish this bastard of a race next year! Also, I'd love to have heard that conversation with the wife, things always go good with "I'm meeting people from the internet in the woods where there is no cell signal, I'll see you in a few days."
    M_WareyournotuniqueTad_MachrowiczMamaCheetahNotSoFatLewCraig Dsimonsen77KuchOverBiker_SamKenElPescadoPelado
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    @OverBiker_Sam maybe we'll hook up again at the lifetime sprint?

I'm glad you are ok. I heard from @PreachSwanson during the run that you crashed, and I was like "what"? And I asked where you crashed, and he said bike dismount. It was probably the lack of caloric intake, but I was so confused as to how you crashed at transition.

All that being said, I plan on hiding in the woods with all you folks next year. My wife doesn't even question me anymore when I talk about all my "friends from the internet".
    Craig DOverBiker_SamAaronWebsteyTad_MachrowiczM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoPreachSwansonyournotuniqueGasBomb
    When keeping it real goes terribly wrong.
  • Options
    @Dark_mark, @Craig D, @PreachSwanson, @Tad_Machrowicz, @toebutt769, @yournotunique et al - turns out that my orthopod missed the broken/displaced clavicle, which explains the constant searing pain in my shoulder, and the fact that it is sticking up ~1" above my sternum now. No intervention required, but the latest diagnosis has calmed me down from trying to get back out running.

On the good news front, I was able to glue my Di2 shifter back together. I'll leave the scrapes on the Magura brakes as a reminder of my stupidity. Not sure if I'll ever wear that Castelli suit again - lots of holes, and they tell me that they do not do repairs.
    M_WareCraig DTad_Machrowiczsimonsen77AaronWebsteyPreachSwanson
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    @OverBiker_Sam good to here it's something you can recover quickly from.
    M_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    I have no idea how he missed it; I saw it and mentioned it to people right as you left in the ambulance. Hell, I think I mentioned it to you while you were still on the ground!

Who do I submit the insurance bill to? This is gonna be great, usually when I play doctor the cops get called!
    M_WareCraig DTad_MachrowiczNotSoFatLew
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

• Options
    Heal up bud, and keep a positive look on life
    M_WareTad_MachrowiczOverBiker_Sam
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    2018 #Sworry Trials Team Doctor: @yournotunique
    AaronWebstey

• Options
    I don't know that @yournotunique should be the team doctor, he's always hurt
    AaronWebsteyTad_Machrowiczyournotuniquekjrunnin
    TRS Racing
  • Options

I don't know that @yournotunique should be the team doctor, he's always hurt

But just think of the medicinal liquor supply and administration experience he has developed through all of those injury hardships.
    StruangPreachSwansonCraig DKenElPescadoPeladoyournotunique

• Options
    I don't know about admin experience; I outsource that bullshit. But I definitely have a "medicinal" liquor supply. It's also really good for other ailments and maladies. Like life, for instance.
    wchevronM_WarekjrunninCraig DTad_Machrowiczsimonsen77KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    @yournotunique
    Administration of the Medicinal Liquor...... duhhhhhh
    M_Wareyournotunique

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch