frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Wildflower as first Half?

I'm definitely racing Wildflower next year, but I'm trying to decide if I want to or am even capable of moving up to the half distance. My only goal would be to finish. The last time Wildflower ran I finished the Oly in 4:15 (let's hear it for the BOP!). Is the half feasible or should I look elsewhere for my first time at that distance? (And still do the Oly)

Comments

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    In terms of effort, due to the course, I think of Wildflower as a 3/4 Ironman race. Everything is challenging (hills, heat, trails).

I know athletes who have done it for the their first half but it is a tough one, there is no way around it. If you want an adventure, don't care about time and will be smart about pacing and fueling you should be okay. However, you will be out there for awhile and longer than any other half you could choose.
    Granpa ChookfyrehaarKelly O'Mara
  • Options
    The olympic is plenty hard/awesome in itself. If you enjoy the olympic just do that.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited September 2017
    I wouldn't - see if you can find the elevation profiles on Strava or Map My Ride.

Challenge Aruba is the way to go! Maybe HITS Palm Springs, if you're trying to skip the Ironman name & price tag?
    AaronWebsteyfyrehaar
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I'm definitely avoiding WTC. I honestly have a hard time wrapping my head around travelling that far to race, so my possible list is really, really short - Auburn, Wildflower, Lake Tahoe or Napa HITS. So it's race something really hard or basically go into therapy to justify travelling to a race. (I'm going Olympic for Wildflower)
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Napa is probably the safest bet. It's just early in the year. Auburn is pitched as being hard as hell. Haven't seen the Tahoe course, but racing at altitude is no cake walk for us bay dwellers.
    fyrehaar
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    Napa HITS can be great weather or shit (like last year). It will be cold out at Lake Berryessa no matter what, that's just the way it is. Hopefully high 40s vs. 30s like 2016.

If you go to altitude (assuming the Donner Lake Triathlon?) just go by effort, expect to be breathing harder and know that you will be slower no matter what.

Auburn is a great race. I did the sprint one year. Steep hills. Run is nice and goes in the American River valley.
    KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaar

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch