frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

How soon is too soon?

I know we aren't great on serious questions but thought I'd still seek advice even if all I get are comedy answers!

I'd like to do multiple Ironman events next year and so wondered how soon after doing one race is it sensible to do another full distance race?

I'm not aiming for any records just to finish and enjoy a few races in a few interesting places. Problem is choosing those places so wanted to see how often is too often to try and narrow the choices a little.

Any and all advice welcome.
AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Early Christmas bonus at work?
    MartinCollege_Tri
  • Options
    There are some pro's out there who have won races on back to back weekends, so... 1 week? Actually, not being a pro means that you'll be slower, and thus need less recovery. This guy says you can do one every day for a couple months.
    HSeeley14Brendo78
  • Options
    Shit, you said sensible? Have you done one before? How long was your recovery before you could walk normally again? Take that amount of time and a week or so.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Matt said:

Early Christmas bonus at work?

I'm really hoping I was misold PPI

(basically in the UK the banks didnt tell people they would put Payment Protection Insurance on their loans and credit cards, then also put it on accounts of people who could never claim, thus huge accusations of miselling leading to compensation/refunds)
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf we've clearly not met, I rarely do sensible, I do talking myself into something, following through and then complaining it wasn't a good idea!

I haven't done one yet. Did a half this year and frankly should have pushed more as I happily took the stairs all the following week!
  • Options
    @Struang if you're well enough prepared, a half is a breeze. Even racing it hard will only get you a few days of fatigue. Running a marathon on dead legs, though will destroy you for a couple weeks if you're not running a bunch going in. The swim and cycle are easy to prepare for. It's the marathon that will break you and determine your necessary recovery time. On the foolish end, I'd say 2 weeks is enough time between if you recover well. Smarter people would shoot for at least 4.
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    I really enjoy the 5 week turn-around. I think it's one of the best as far as timing goes to get a real recovery, rebuild and then taper effectively while still using the boost from the first to segue into the second
    AaronWebsteyTad_Machrowicz
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    To paraphrase Mark Allen, as soon as your blisters have healed you are good to go.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    I believe there was the same question being posted on the Other site. The agreement seemed to be 5-6 weeks was a good time frame.
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    How much is in your 401k ?
    Tad_MachrowiczCraig D
  • Options

There are some pro's out there who have won races on back to back weekends, so... 1 week? Actually, not being a pro means that you'll be slower, and thus need less recovery. This guy says you can do one every day for a couple months.

Being slower doesn't mean less recovery. Probably more really. Most people probably give a similar effort level in events, Pros just get to the finish faster.

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    @Struang can you honestly say you are just going to cruise to the finish, as in give a reduced effort? Or will you race it hard, just not caring about the result?

• Options
    IanL said:

Being slower doesn't mean less recovery. Probably more really. Most people probably give a similar effort level in events, Pros just get to the finish faster.

They do get to the finish faster, which will usually result in lower TSS for a similar effort level, and thus an assumption that they will need less time to recover. But this is only half the story. Most pros are at that position because they are able to push themselves harder and farther than the average age grouper. So their effort will usually be harder, and since the science (ish) of TSS squares intensity, an AGer who cruises the race will ultimately have a lesser impact on his body (assuming he is adequately prepared for the effort). AGers also have a tendency to walk more on the run, which is less damaging to the body than running the entire way.
  • Options
    IanL said:

@Struang can you honestly say you are just going to cruise to the finish, as in give a reduced effort? Or will you race it hard, just not caring about the result?

Depends if my friend James is racing the same race. Losing to him by 10 minutes having spent 15 minutes fixing 2 punctures motivates me go out and race him again!

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch