frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Seeking Aerobar Pad/Cradle Input

KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
edited September 11 in Main
So on my long ride yesterday, I managed to bust the screw holes out on one of the cradles on my aluminum 3T Auro Pro aerobars. I always thought they felt really flimsy, and being about 225 lbs I knew I had to be putting a lot of weight on them. These were apparently the best match my fitter could come up with for my short reach and tall stack, and still I feel like I'm not as stable as I could be (and like I am on my road bike extensions) with how narrow the pads sit, and I rest really wide on them.

I've discovered that the standard plastic cradles can be replaced by alloy, or, of course, carbon fiber. Done a little shopping around so I see how much these would run. Hadn't realized how many options there were, that there were compact vs comfort formats, or that there were some allegedly-more-comfortable aftermarket pads - Cee Gees are the brand I discovered, but maybe there are others.

Anybody have any input from experience using some of these or similar options? I'm wondering if there could be more to it that purely personal preference and tolerance for discomfort. I doubt if the alloy vs carbon weight difference matters much at my current race weight. I did try hunching down and resting on the base bar for brief periods during the remainder of my ride, and that's probably not sustainable.

Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    I've heard the Cee Gees are really comfortable, but for most it will mess with your fit a bit as they are likely taller than what you have.

As for carbon/alloy - the weight savings is insufficient to justify a substantial price difference in my opinion. Just drink 1 ml less water that day and it will even out. I broke a plastic arm cradle on my PD bars and ordered replacements which ended up being metal. Much more sturdy and no problems since.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I thought Cee Gees just made pads. Do they make cups too?
    ______

• Options
    @scotty Cee Gees seems to make a few items other than pads.
    Such as Feather Seatpost for Triathalon.
    Also, possibly the world's ugliest aero bottle.

cgb.jpg 28.7K
  • Options
    Primarily the pads which are very thick thereby bringing your elbows up. For some it's a life altering level of fit adjustment, for others it's just their elbows don't get so banged up.
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    +1 on the Cee Gees, and yes mine were thicker, but it didn't seem like rocket surgery just to drop my pad height a bit to compensate. I'm back using the stock profile design pads on a new bar set, but I'll put Cee Gees on once these are skanky.

• Options
    To fix your arm rest option you could probably put a washer or two in there to distribute the load (that's what she said). Also, look at trying to get a similar position but have better pad placement. Based on your current setup there's a lot of stress on those corner screws. Is there a way to replicate your position by moving the screws to the centre of the arm cradle?
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro I had thought about washers briefly, thanks for the reminder. Will probably try that. I temporarily just bumped both pads forward for a quick fix. Might also try twisting them diagonally to avoid those long screw holes. As wide as I am in the torso, I can't imagine exposing a little more surface area of the arms will matter.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch