frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

French video report on motors, uci tablets (english subtitle)

Anyone see this?

This was good shit. I see ITU officials scanning bikes with that tablet too. 40 watts for 30 minutes? That's huge.

How many twats have used motors in triathlon over the years? I'm guessing more than you think. Cheaters never use just one thing anyway.

The back wheel motor made me think of all those weird crashes... (the cyclocross ones are blatant)
M_WareCraig D

Comments

• Options
    Eh wheels can do some weird things when they lose and regain traction, and the couple of CX ones all happen to be in the mud. But the fact that it always/mostly seems to happen to the current 2-time defending world champ doesn't help.
  • Options
    But here's my incredibly naive way of wondering how it wouldn't just be insanely easy to catch...
    Surely there has to be some sort of control, so isn't there another button/switch/etc somewhere accessible to the rider. Even if it's a pedal assist that is somehow disengaged by braking, that shouldnt be undetectable either.
    The alternative that seems less likely to me is that these are remote operated, but that presents a problem for especially MTB and CX, but road and triathlon still have the dilemma. After all, you don't let somebody else shift your gears from afar, it's up to the rider to make the call based on fatigue and where on the course they need to change gears (or get the Mario Kart orange mushroom). In that case, it might be harder but I would still think there are only so many type of frequencies that could cover that use (something like ANT+, Wifi, Bluetooth wouldn't go nearly far enough, for example), so you could detect and intercept. You're not going to get anything scanning a passive receiver unless you guess and check, but surely there are broader range scanners that could be used.
  • Options
    @idking90 That crazy asshole Varjas said that you could have it be activated via radio, tie it to activate at certain heart rates/power outputs, in team car. Or you could be blatant and have the button on the side of your shifter like Luigi, I mean Fabian, did in 2010.
  • Options
    So one way or another, there's a signal that has to be emitted. You have to listen to it, but somebody smarter than me can figure out what frequencies are going to work best for this application and come up with a portable receiver unit to give to on-course officials to listen for it, and then a more active one to conduct the actual bike checks.
    I mean, I'm quite certain the physical technology has to exist, or else SIGINT wouldn't be a thing. How able it is to be implemented due to logistics and cost for a triathlon or cycling event, I'm not sure.
    But yea when it's inconvenient for somebody to be found guilty, it's easy to pretend that they have an extra satellite shifter button that has a bad connection which is why the derailleur doesn't move when it's pressed.
  • Options
    Bag the bikes after the stage, freeze them until a reliable test can be developed in the future.
    AaronWebsteyTad_MachrowiczEmilyCocksGranpa ChookMattM_Wareidking90scottyKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Post
  • Options
    Just get a portable x-ray machine. Gee whiz, there's got to be lots of surplus crap out there that homeland security wants to sell..... It's all about wanting to find something. Do they really want to find the nasty stuff???

• Options
    I wish I had no scruples or morals. I'd be all over this in a heartbeat.

Although with my pathetic swim and run, I'd need to be in the 3 hr IM bike range to win my age group. Might be a little suspicious if I'm biking an hour faster than Starky.
    Tad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    Riding with no saddle provides excellent motivation.
    mbrekk44
  • Options
    Jamming their frequencies has to be the best option.

Craig DMattGranpa Chook
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch