frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Swim Start Placement

RashRash Member
Have an Oly this weekend and they are doing self seeding for the start. There isn't much information to determine if we will go off in waves or if it's a rolling start, but we are supposed to seed ourselves. Any advice for those who have done this before? I assume there will be plenty of people overestimating/underestimating their swim abilities or strategically selecting the wrong group (i.e. 40 minute swimmer in the first wave to get started sooner). I am guessing it will just be in 5 minute increments so shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but was curious if there are any particular things to consider in selecting start position for this set up.

For a normal AG or mass start, I always just get towards the front to the outside edge and work my way back to the inside over the first 100-200 meters to let the real fish get out and the pretenders to drop back. If I can find some feet, I will, however I notice that most people on my level can't swim straight to save their lives. I actually end up debating the entire swim whether they can't swim straight or I can't - the answer is always them but not sure what an overhead view would show.
simonsen77KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited August 2017
    Did this for the first time at Oceanside. Put myself in line about 4 min faster than I thought I could swim. I actually wish I had seeded more like 5-6 faster. Wasn't passed and ran in to the back of lots of people.
    RashMamaCheetah
    ______

• Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Start in pole position !
    MartinTad_M
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Based on my own experiences I think you're right on the money. I usually start on the outside and slowly move in as the formation gets pointy. If it's a wave start I'll go about 3 minutes faster. If it's a rolling start I'll use my best 1000 m pace as a guide. You'll always get someone who shouldn't be in the group so I typically wait until the first turn before I'll look for someone to pace with. I figure if we're there at the same time then we're likely similar. Sight lots and don't trust anyone to be your eyes. My last HIM swim was awesome and I followed this strategy 1:33/100m. 33 min.
    RashkjrunninMamaCheetah
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Don't forget to kick everyone as you pass them.
    RashkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahCraig_D
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited August 2017
    @EmilyCocks said I should never kick, ever! Not even old school. (she didn't say any of that)
    KenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahCraig_DStruangTad_M
  • Options
    Seed yourself about 2 min faster than you think you can swim. Most everyone else will overestimate their abilities and you should be in good company there. And if you're the only one seeding yourself up, grab some feet and enjoy the pull to a new PR. That's only 8 sec/100, which is in line with expectations when drafting.
    MamaCheetahCraig_DRashTad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    I'd agree, I usually end up seeding myself too honestly when its required, e.g. the only rolling start I have done had a sub-30 (70.3) minute wave, I thought, ok I'm a 29:50 swimmer so I'll start near the back of that... was swimming through bodies for 500m, most of those people would have struggled to swim 33! So yes I think over seed yourself 2 to 3 minutes such that you have a prayer of getting a tow, even if its only half way, if people are actually at that speed!
    RashCraig_DTad_MAlexS

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch