frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

3D printing custom storage

idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
Surely there has to be somebody on here capable/knowledgeable about 3D printing to help me or at least point me in the right direction where I can get this done:
I'm looking to have a customized tool/flat storage box with a button or snap closure, akin to the Specialized SWAT box things (that won't work on my frame; I've already checked): https://www.specialized.com/us/en/accessories/mtb-xc-box/118707
My MTB originally came with a battery mount for its rear suspension, but after frying that system twice, I've opted to replace it with a more regular rear shock. What that means is that I now have two bolt bosses on my downtube right below the bottle cage, albeit not at the same spacing as a regular cage. I've got the rough dimensions of 1.75w x 3.75l x 2h to replace the battery itself, though I think there's room for something a wee bit larger in there. Photo below is with the original battery on it, and I can get better exact dimensions, including how far the bolt bosses are, what the threading is...but for now I just want to know where/how I can even get this done

M_Ware

Comments

• Options
    I'm pretty sure your French bike shat itself when you put on that 'murica bottle and figured frying the battery would stop you from riding.

No real help on the printing side. I'd probably make a mold and lay up some carbon/glass fibre.
    idking90maggieru
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf you're probably right. Does it make it better or worse if I say that it was the bottle advertising a state senator's campaign in a state/district where I wasn't even registered to vote but the guy rode a little so had his freebie water bottles at the local shop?

Also I'm not married to the idea of 3D printing; it just seemed the most logical way to copy the Specialized thing. I suppose a model and layup could work too, but I still don't have the ability/tools necessary for that either.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member
    edited August 2017
    @idking90 3d printing will be easier, probably cheaper, and look more refined than a diy layup if you don't have experience. The 3D rendering will be harder than just cutting up some wood and making a mold, but would be a snap for a college engineer with the right equipment. Maybe look to a local college in your area. Any custom, one off piece from a web based fabricator will be pretty damn expensive. You might also be able to mod the spesh piece to fit.

And the story behind the bottle makes it worse. Not for you, but for the politician. If you're a state rep, why not use the state flag? Way cooler.
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I have a 3d printer, don't really have the time right now though to draw it up in 3d modeling. if you find somebody to model it up I can print it.
    AaronWebsteyStruang
  • Options
    Duh. I'm at a college...and the tri team is a pretty diverse group of majors, so I'll ask around.
    Also no clue. It was a free insulated water bottle; I didn't.
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @ellsworth53t did you see this thread? Ideas?
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I was just contemplating whether it was possible to 3D print cleats - the Powertap cleats, specifically - for any cheaper than $20 a pair. Even if they wouldn't have the rubber parts mixed in.
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter

I was just contemplating whether it was possible to 3D print cleats - the Powertap cleats, specifically - for any cheaper than $20 a pair. Even if they wouldn't have the rubber parts mixed in.

I wouldnt use it on cleats. Be wary of the fatigue and tensile properties of the printed materials. Not saying you can't source with the properties you need, just saying you have to use a very competent source with clear communication regarding end use.

• Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    M_Ware said:

@ellsworth53t did you see this thread? Ideas?

Saw it just now. I'd love to help but I'm in the same boat as @Zach Miller not enough time. It shouldn't be too hard to mock it up for a college student. I can tell you that I would print it in vinyl. Don't use PLA, it will melt.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch