frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

One of our own hit on the bike.

edited July 23 in Main
Mitch brekke was hit while on a bike ride last Tuesday. There aren't many details so far as to how the wreck happened but go to the link and follow the story. It's a sad day any time some one gets hit on the bike. But when it hits this close to home it's just a punch to the gut.

Tl;Dr. Mitch was hit, but looks like he's in recovering and doing better, but it's still a long road.

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mitchbrekke/journal/index/0/0/asc
AaronWebsteyTad_MachrowiczM_WareMartinMattkjrunninwchevronRobert RankinEvanmaggieruGasBombZach BoringdhrKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77DerekLGentlemanJerseyDaveCollege_TriAlexSSteve HalewskiKuchfyrehaarMamaCheetahHSeeley14ellsworth53tPreachSwansonrangamelet5504James LangeKelly O'Mara
Demotivational Speaker
Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
Kansas Native
Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug

Comments

• Options
    Do I bfg him getting hit or thumbs up him doing ok ... there is no ::thank god now I'm gonna tell my family I love them:: emoji
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Thanks for the post @ItsShug . Hang tough and get well soon @mbrekk44 !!!!
    AaronWebsteyM_WareMartinHensatcwchevronEvanGasBombMamaCheetahellsworth53t

• Options
    Wow, tough to read all those details. I stalked Mitch's Facebook and Twitter for Secret Santa ideas last year, and he's pretty badass. Kick ass in recovery, @mbrekk44.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyGasBombMamaCheetahHSeeley14
  • Options
    Wow. Scary stuff. So thankful to read there was a physician's assistant on the ride that could quickly provide emergency aid.
    AaronWebsteyMartinTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    I agree. Tough read. Thank God for the physician's assistant that was on that ride. Looking forward to more updates that he's improving over the next few days. Thanks for sharing @ItsShug
    AaronWebsteyMartinTad_Machrowicz

• Options
    edited July 23
    Gut wrenching! Mitch seemed like a tough SOB before. After reading, he obviously is. Thoughts are with him and his family.
    AaronWebsteyMartinTad_MachrowiczEvan

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    edited July 23
    They just posted another update and how the wreck happened

"Mitch was riding in a group like this and his tire caught some debris, whether that be rubber, rocks, or anything else that may be on a county road. The debris caused him to swerve a little and his front tire caught the back of the guys' ahead of him. As you can imagine when you are going 25+mph, this is hard to correct and his bike went to the right as his body went to the left. At this exact second, there unfortunately was an oncoming vehicle that had nothing that they could do"
    AaronWebsteyRobert Rankinsimonsen77wchevronRashTad_MachrowiczM_WareEvanCraig DfyrehaarOverBiker_SamHSeeley14et5504
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    Virtuual flowers for @mbrekk44, not sure if you can have actual flowers yet.

AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MachrowiczJennifer PostCraig DMamaCheetahHSeeley14EmilyCocksmaggieru
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options
    NO ! That's my buddy !! Does anyone know how he is .....?
  • Options
    @MamaCheetah If you click the link that Shug provided, you can create an account. His family has been posting very good updates just about every day.

He has a long road ahead of him.
    MamaCheetah
  • Options
    Thanks, @Dark_mark - I will do that now. I noticed it required a sign up ....
  • Options
    edited August 3
    Here is Mitch's address at the hospital, sharing with Jenna's permission. Cards are good, no flowers at this time.

Mitch Brekke
    Mary Brigh 2-196 (updated room number 8/3/17)
    St. Mary's Mayo Hospital
    1216 2nd Street SW
    Rochester, MN 55902

His family is reading cards to him and hanging up photos.
    AaronWebsteyCollege_TriAlexSKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77Dark_markjakesaundersJennifer PostHSeeley14MamaCheetahItsShugRobert RankinAdriennedhrCraig DwchevronKuchRyan HeislerEvanrigpigMartin
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Here is Jenna's latest post from tonight. When I get the new room number I will update it above.

"Thursday - Surgery #9
    Journal entry by Jenna Christensen — 3 minutes ago

Mom and Dad came up to the room early to see how Mitch's night had gone. He didn't get much rest according to the night nurse as his pain and discomfort kept settling in. He thought it might have been October this morning when he woke up and asked Dad if he had been in the field yet and if his crops were okay. They told us this is common after what he has been through. Dad reassured him it was still July and it has only been a little over a week that he has been here in Rochester. Mitch was happy to hear that, and wanted to know about selling his corn. Dad asked Mitch if he would like it if he went home and hauled some of Mitch's corn. Mitch thought that this was an awesome idea and told dad he was a "good guy." This was the best stress therapy that Dad could have!

The morning rounds of doctors and teams went well and being off of the ventilator is so far so good. They need to keep the right chest tube in for a bit longer but they told us this would heal faster now without the ventilator blowing air continuously into the lungs. The kidney doctors are thinking the dialysis machine can go more intermittently after surgery and they didn't hook the machine back up when it beeped for the regular cleaning this morning at about 9:00 am.

Mom and I spent the morning hanging out with Mitch helping try to fight that pain by reading a few things off of his phone as he wanted. We have learned he hates numbering his pain and told the nurse at one point "and no.. I don't have a number."

He received an Amazon package today with a Hall and Oates CD, anyone that knows Mitch, this is his go to. We had fun as the nurse was helping him open it and he got a big smile. We got it in that CD player and the nurse, Mitch and I got jamming to "Rich Girl," and all the other nurses had to see what the commotion was. This was great and thank you to the mystery person who sent this! Mom came around the corner and got a good laugh, especially when Mitch was waving his suction wand and mouthing a few words.

They got him ready and took him for surgery at about 12:30. He wasn't thrilled about going back down to the operating room but realizes they have to do what they have to do to continue to heal him. We also found out we get to swap rooms when he comes back up, we remained in the same unit on the trauma ICU floor but he got a better view, not right inside the doors and not right across from the staff bathroom!

We waited for Mitch to come out of surgery, about 4:30 pm, we finally went back to check on him. Everything went as planned and wound-vacs are looking good. We are still working on getting the pain medications dialed in to what keeps him in less pain but also not to confuse him. He is doing good and loves his water sponge and ice chips, but begs for a Gatorade. He also usually enjoys us rubbing his eyebrows. If we wait too long, he attempts to do this with his suction wand and Mom told him he better watch out or he is going to poke his eye out. "We don't need you to go back down for eye surgery!"

As we left Mitch's room tonight he was snoring away and we prayed that he will get some peaceful rest tonight. We are excited he won't have surgery tomorrow and they are going to try and sit him up to help his lungs and also do the kidney dialysis intermittently to see how his kidneys do on their own. The doctors this morning explained to us that these will heal faster the sooner they can get him up. Once again, thank you for the prayers and keep them coming for recovery and healing."

Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladojakesaundersAaronWebsteyCraig DAlexSPreachSwansonTad_Machrowiczsimonsen77HensatcMartinellsworth53tGentlemanJerseyDaveKuchmaggieruMamaCheetahDerekL
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    @M_Ware Thanks for updating Mitch's room number. I just updated the address on the card I had waiting to go out with the mail tomorrow.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyCraig DM_WarePreachSwansonMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Woohoo, looky here!
    AaronWebsteysimonsen77Craig DRobert RankinMattellsworth53tCollege_TriJennifer PostItsShugGentlemanJerseyDaveKuchkjrunninmaggieruHSeeley14Ryan HeislerMamaCheetahTad_MachrowiczDerekL
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Hey, the valve on the his nasogastric tube is aligned with the label.

#baaw
    M_WareCraig Dellsworth53tmbrekk44MartinEvanHensatcKuchAaronWebsteykjrunninmaggieruMamaCheetahsimonsen77Tad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    Thanks Y'all very very much.. I had another good day, and I'm able to catch up with a bit of "social media" I was visited by some friends and family and continue to be warmed bull generosity of everybody! My enve 4.5 ses and trek emonda are basically still fine.. hower my POC helmet is destroyed.. they work!!! Things will be ok, and I will heal, I will live to race again tomorrow
    College_TriM_WareMartinItsShugEvanJennifer PostAlexSEmilyCocksCraig DKenElPescadoPeladodhrjakesaundersHensatcMattKuchRashAaronWebsteykjrunninmaggieruHSeeley14scottyRyan Heislerneil5youngccochraneAdrienneRobert RankinDark_markMamaCheetahsimonsen77rangamelTad_MachrowiczPreachSwansonFastCat1107rigpigGentlemanJerseyDaveGranpa ChookShepherdPevashishDaulDerekLBrent_Ret5504Steve HalewskiSeanHJames Langecharlie_does
  • Options
    Love ya big guy
    M_WareCollege_TriJennifer PostAaronWebsteykjrunninMamaCheetahmbrekk44Tad_MachrowiczrigpigKenElPescadoPelado
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    Fantastic! So nice to see you. We are all pulling for you. Your sister Jenna is amazing but you already know that. Really appreciate the updates she's been posting so we know how you are doing. Stay strong.
    ItsShugCraig DM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCollege_TriAaronWebsteykjrunninHSeeley14rangamelTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    edited July 31
    It would be a real shame if those jawbreaker shades were smashed too...Ill buy you replacement pit vipers
    KuchAaronWebsteyHSeeley14Jennifer Postet5504KenElPescadoPelado
    Could probably be your kid...
  • Options
    Just saw how many likes @mbrekk44 's post got. Is there some kind of exception for POTM awards for July? Too soon to ask?
    ItsShugkjrunninMattCollege_TriMartinmbrekk44

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Evan said:

Just saw how many likes @mbrekk44 's post got. Is there some kind of exception for POTM awards for July? Too soon to ask?

I should probably cancel the calculations and just give it to Brekke.
    rigpigItsShugsimonsen77M_WareJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoCraig DMamaCheetahCollege_TriTad_MachrowiczMartinPevashishDaulRobert RankinEvan
  • Options

Evan said:

I should probably cancel the calculations and just give it to Brekke.
    @AaronWebstey hand that badge over to him - good on @mbrekk44 to want to stop by so soon after and let us know how he's doing. Speaks to the camaraderie of the team and the quality of the people that hang out here as far as I'm concerned. Happy to be part of it.
    MamaCheetahKenElPescadoPeladoM_WarekjrunninAaronWebsteyJennifer Postmbrekk44Robert RankinEvan
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    For those of you following along at home, I am sure you've read about Mitch's love for Gatorade in the Caringbridge updates. On the topic of the camaraderie of this sport as @Craig D mentioned, I wanted to give you a bit of background on the Gatorade care package Mitch received. I think it says so much about the friendships we make at races and here on the forum.

Back in 2010 I was in Budapest with a friend that was racing ITU Worlds. My friend and I ended up meeting an athlete from Boulder. We became friends and have kept in touch through these years. Visits in Seattle and Boulder and even a trip to OtillO in Sweden two years ago when he raced and I helped sherpa.

Anyway, my friend does rep work for Gatorade Endurance at events. We were chatting and I told him about Mitch. How I didn't really know him but enjoyed his postings on the forum and Jenna kept mentioning in the updates how much he liked Gatorade. I asked with Boulder 70.3 coming up, if he might be able to send Mitch some swag from his race stash. My friend (@traveledeyes on IG if you want to check out his cool photos of Boulder and environs) said he'd contact the team at Corporate he works with on events since they have the better stuff. He sent along Mitch's Caringbridge URL and within minutes, the team responded that they would send something immediately. This was just on Monday. It really does say so much about our community and how we come together at races or online and create friendships and care about each other.

ItsShugM_WareCraig DTad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteyRashkjrunninmbrekk44jakesaundersPevashishDaulRyan HeislerMattKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_RMartinPreachSwansonRobert RankinEvanMamaCheetah
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post you and your friend are so kind. I am done with all major surgeries, out of the ICU, and finally have the damn feeding tube out. I have had such a thirst, cotton mouth feeling going for pretty much since I start remembering much, which was last Friday. Whenever anybody asked what they could get me for anything I would basically reply "Gatorade"..when I got the package yesterday it was before my last round of skin grafting and my last surgery, I literally was so happy that I teared up when I opened it up..when I finally out of surgery to my new room, I had about 4 jugs of it :)
    jakesaundersPevashishDaulM_WareAaronWebsteyRyan HeislerkjrunninJennifer PostMattsimonsen77Craig DCollege_TriGentlemanJerseyDaveItsShugKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_RAdriennemaggieruPreachSwansonRobert RankinEvanet5504Tad_MachrowiczMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Room number updated above, yay for being out of ICU!
    AaronWebsteyJennifer PostmaggieruMamaCheetah
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    I nominate @mbrekk44 to have way cooler nipples than @AaronWebstey
    AaronWebsteykjrunninJennifer Postsimonsen77Craig DMartinEvanMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Matt said:

I nominate @mbrekk44 to have way cooler nipples than @AaronWebstey

A lactating wildebeest has way cooler nipples than I do.

So glad to see you doing well, @mbrekk44 !!! And good lord @Jennifer Post , that is awesome.
    Jennifer PostCraig DKenElPescadoPeladoPreachSwansonet5504Tad_MachrowiczMamaCheetahmbrekk44
  • Options
    @mbrekk44 Very happy to see you are doing so well. Sounds like the package arrived at the perfect time. I am glad my friend could arrange to get the package to you. Jenna kept mentioning in her updates how you were asking for Gatorade. I thought that you would be pleased but also hoped your family and caregivers would find it funny that all your requests for Gatorade resulted in a surprise care package sent directly from Gatorade!
    M_WareCraig DAaronWebstey
  • Options
    So glad to read that the healing is going well. Proud of the folks here bringing a touch of light to a crap situation.

Hoping for a fast and strong recovery.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyJennifer PostMartinCraig DEvanTad_MachrowiczMamaCheetah
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch