frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New Tri Suit Recommendations

AlexSAlexS Member
I'm in the market for a new Tri Suit, it seems like Castelli is the recommended brand here, any others I should consider? Also any advice on sizing?

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member
    edited July 15
    I have a Castelli suit and love it. Also have a Champion System sprint/olympic suit. Don't like that one at all. The stitching is on the inside and I get chafing even in sprints.
    For the Castelli I went with my normal size. Was a little tight but not uncomfortably so. I felt if I went with the next size up, while it fit, it felt like if it stretched even a little, it would be too big. I did that with a pair of castelli tri shorts. Went up a size. First season they were good, this year they seem a little stretched and I'm getting a bit of chafing I never got last year. I think if I got Castelli jersey though I'd have to go up a size.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Do it for your gooch. Ya gotta get the good one.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    besides being a homer on castelli (since it sponsors the TRS team). i'm intrigued by the new WynRepublic kits (by beth gerdes and Luke mckenzie). They're pretty sweet looking... and i'd trust them to make a good kit. You'd also be more unique out there since i suspect there won't be many on the race circuit.

https://wynrepublic.com/collections/mens-triathlon/
    AaronWebsteykjrunnin

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    AlexS said:

I'm in the market for a new Tri Suit, it seems like Castelli is the recommended brand here, any others I should consider? Also any advice on sizing?

I'm 6'1", 160-165, and wear a Castelli medium if that helps. The top is a tiny bit short on the two piece.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Martin said:

I'm 6'1", 160-165, and wear a Castelli medium

Jesus Fuck @Martin, I really hope you got the conversion wrong from kg to lbs. Either way, please visit omahasteaks.com.
    MartinTad_MachrowiczCraig DAaronWebsteyHSeeley14NotSoFatLew
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    @Martin is one lean, "mean" Canuck! I'm 5'10" and 150.... but my W/kg is lower
    MartinAaronWebsteyEvanKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Sizing q here for the, um, larger gentlemen here.

Looking at the San Remo sleeved suit at 6'6, 215 (on a skinny day) at about a 34" waist. Strong preference for 1-piece suits as they're what I've spent the last 20 years of my sporting life in.

2XL/3XL?

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

Sizing q here for the, um, larger gentlemen here.

Looking at the San Remo sleeved suit at 6'6, 215 (on a skinny day) at about a 34" waist. Strong preference for 1-piece suits as they're what I've spent the last 20 years of my sporting life in.

2XL/3XL?

6'4 215 with a 36 waist and 46 chest. I've got a 2XL. I find their online sizing to be spot on for me.
    KenElPescadoPelado

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Perfect!

Thanks for that one - hard to get recommendations for the non typically sized triathlete!
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    I have plenty of good experience with Cuore - their 2-in-1 suit tested the best for me in the tunnel and while you can certainly buy it pre-made in a solid color, you can also work with a designer on a custom design and for small charges here and there make modifications to tailoring, construction, gripper choices, etc.. I have a suit from them and am currently in the process of designing a second one (rough draft here).

I am also intrigued by WYN republic - I'm getting a "Rapha for Triathlon" kind of vibe. Good call by them; I think there's a big opportunity there for the company since everyone else is focused on taking the more flashy route that folks like Wattie and Betty have been driving for the last few years.
    AaronWebsteyEvanHSeeley14KenElPescadoPelado
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited July 16
  • Options
    AlexSAlexS Member
    Thanks for the help all, going to give Castelli a shot. The designs from WYN looked cool but I would like to hear from a few people about the padding/comfort level before I order.

I am certain that I am not bad ass enough to pull off the all white/semi-translucent kit.
    Tad_MachrowiczHSeeley14AaronWebstey
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    maggieru said:

I am also intrigued by WYN republic - I'm getting a "Rapha for Triathlon" kind of vibe. Good call by them; I think there's a big opportunity there for the company since everyone else is focused on taking the more flashy route that folks like Wattie and Betty have been driving for the last few years.

unfortunately, they're still following the trucker-hat trend. i really hate trucker hats. i also hate every hat that gwen jorgensen wears for red bull.
    balsdorfAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77Tad_MachrowiczM_WareMartinCraig D

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Evan said:

maggieru said:

unfortunately, they're still following the trucker-hat trend. i really hate trucker hats. i also hate every hat that gwen jorgensen wears for red bull.
    I think it' a Red Bull sponsored athlete requirement. A climber I really like is sponsored by them and often has the same flat-billed hat.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMartinEvan
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    BUT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE FLAT-BILLED?

AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoM_WarebalsdorfAlexSMartinEvan
  • Options
    balsdorfbalsdorf Member
    Maybe we should start a change.org petition? It would be as useful / get as much result as all the previous ones.
    MartinKenElPescadoPeladoEvan
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    There's a women's line that just started in Montreal called Brava that looks good (although I'm pretty sure she did a trucker hat - #sworry @Evan). She works with Argon 18, so @Matt might chime in here.

Not much good to you yet, @AlexS, but I kind of hope she launches a men's line called Bruno soon, if only for the memes.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoAlexSEvan
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    edited July 18
    Brava is new and pretty neat. The deal was part of the Bart Coaching team.

We looked into Peppermint but they were only doing cycling, not tri and partnered with Basso bikes.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    andpeabandpeab Member
    i really like the fusion gear. its made in europe so americans will likely need to size up one size. i'm 5'11" and 145-150lbs. usually wear a medium but the fusion medium is at the limit. i could easily wear a large.

AaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch