frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Swim Skin Recs?

KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
ISO swim skin for Aruba. Water temps expected to be over 80. Let's hear your recommendations!
Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    Speedo
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

Speedo

Not the most hydro option for a dadbod, even the childless type. Unless you're @Zach Boring - IGNFI how that guy swims so fast even when packing 5mm+ of natural insulation.
    rigpig
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    I have the Xterra. I got it with some sort of double discount and ended up paying like $50 for it if I recall correctly. I have used it twice and have been happy with it. You just have to remember to put on lots of anti-chafe around the armholes because they cut into you while you swim. This past weekend I just rubbed the stick around the entire rim of the arms and neck - didn't have any issues. This is not Xterra specific - my friend has a Roka and has the same problem.

It's the only one I have worn so can't comment on how it compares to others. I will say the one I have is gray/black so it stands out compared to the mostly black ones others wear if that matters at all to you. I am sure it would make it easier for friends/family to spot you on race day, however I have no friends and my family doesn't come close to loving me enough to watch a triathlon so can't say for sure.

M_WareCraig DkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_RTad_MachrowiczMartinHSeeley14
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member
    edited July 12

Unless you're @Zach Boring - IGNFI how that guy swims so fast even when packing 5mm+ of natural insulation.

Fat floats. Keeps you higher in the water, which is faster. Also, should have said:

Speedo + baby oil

Not sure why you're concerned about the hydrodynamic savings of 2-3 sec/100 for your first half, though. And living in nor-cal, you're wetsuit legal 12 months a year, so not a lot of need for a skin.

If you insist, you'll really need to try them on for fit. You want it as tight as possible without restricting arm motion. You should feel like a sausage in casing. And make sure the neckline doesn't have any slack.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Zach BoringZach Boring Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I'm not even sure I know how to swim anymore.
    KenElPescadoPeladoMattAaronWebstey
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options

Unless you're @Zach Boring - IGNFI how that guy swims so fast even when packing 5mm+ of natural insulation.

Fat floats. Keeps you higher in the water, which is faster. Also, should have said:

Speedo + baby oil

Not sure why you're concerned about the hydrodynamic savings of 2-3 sec/100 for your first half, though. And living in nor-cal, you're wetsuit legal 12 months a year, so not a lot of need for a skin.

If you insist, you'll really need to try them on for fit. You want it as tight as possible without restricting arm motion. You should feel like a sausage in casing. And make sure the neckline doesn't have any slack.
    Basically just for Aruba, but there are several lake & river tris here where I'd use it later. I went out in just my kit for one last month, and felt like I could've used a little more forward motion and a little less sink. Even with the buoyant fat. Maybe I should transplant some from my gut to my legs.

Got a sleeveless suit on the way - production delays - but probably still too hot for Carribean temps. I've definitely felt a lot of restriction & fatigue in the shoulders with my full suit, so I'm hoping the sleeveless can be my go-to for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    How much time do swim skins help? Say a 1:20/100 for example.

I've looked into them. Sorry to say Ken I haven't found many that fit in my size frame.
    KenElPescadoPelado

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin about 2-3 sec/100. Not nothing, but over a (lets call it) 5 hr race, not much...

They work in 2 ways: 1) reducing frictional drag, and 2) decreasing your surface area by compressing your body (this is why you see women swimmers spilling out the backs of their suits). You want it tight.
    KenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Duhhhhhh @Rash, that's why we're all here......
    (If it helps, I'm sure we all consider you a family loved one)
    KenElPescadoPeladoRash

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter

Got a sleeveless suit on the way - production delays - but probably still too hot for Carribean temps. I've definitely felt a lot of restriction & fatigue in the shoulders with my full suit, so I'm hoping the sleeveless can be my go-to for the foreseeable future.

Sleeved or not, Challenge Aruba is non-wetsuit unless you're over 50.

Actually the athlete guide says "Swim suits, because of the perfect water temperature, will not be allowed / necessary." but I'm hoping this is a translation error!
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMartin

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    And I am hoping it is NOT a translation error. :)
    kjrunninRobert RankinRashMartinmbrekk44Tad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    Matt said:

(Aaron's)#naturaludders

FTFY
    simonsen77AaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch