frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Lifetime Tri making some changes

edited July 10 in Main
I think these items are great to help build the sport at the grass roots level. I give this a two thumbs up!!!

http://www.triathlete.com/2017/07/news/life-time-tri-plans-make-short-course-triathlon-great_303437
KenElPescadoPeladoAlexS
  1. What do you think is best to help make triathlon great again???14 votes
    1. Most or all of these concepts are great and should be enacted by USAT
      21.43%
    2. Concepts like this are not important as long as independent races flourish
      42.86%
    3. Reducing entry fees is the only thing that matters
      14.29%
    4. Prohibition of bare chests will ultimately make triathlon succumb to the obstacle races
      21.43%

Comments

• Options
    Looks like no prize purse at any race except the final.... that's not what I call "great".

fyrehaar
  • Options
    Agreed @Granpa Chook . Good point. That would be the icing on the cake. What about the concept and rules changes?
    I think though that you have to build the consumer base at grass roots in order to support enough interest to drive sponsor money and purses to the pros. Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    I didn't see it in the article, but can I pickup my packet race day morning? Or have a friend pick it up for me?
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    edited July 11
    I don't have much of an opinion regarding the article content. However, I did want to give triathlete.com a big thumbs up for it's current advertisement to register for the 2014 HyVee 5i50 championship on 08.31.14.
    GentlemanJerseyDavefyrehaarAaronWebstey
  • Options
    I just did the Minneapolis race last Saturday and it was nothing like the article said.. I raced in the elite wave at 8 am.. and nobody was allowed to touch their bikes in transition until noon. I had to make up a bullshit excuse about working Friday night, and email the race director before the race to pickup my packet race morning.. I live about 80 miles away, and wasn't keen on getting a hotel to race this close to home.. the entry fee was like $120 for a fucking Olympic.. however, the venue is great and has the deepest OLY field in the Midwest, but I would way rather see them drop the entry fee and get rid of the stupid huge medal and ugly t shirt... I love the direction the article is going, but it was not the case at all last weekend
    AaronWebsteyTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    However, they had free beer after the race so hanging out 2 hours wasn't so bad ...BUT it was Michelob Ultra
    KenElPescadoPeladoCollege_TridoyoueventribroAaronWebsteyCraig DTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

However, they had free beer after the race so hanging out 2 hours wasn't so bad ...BUT it was Michelob Ultra

I bet 12 cans & 8 portapotty visits later you just felt rehydrated.
    College_TriGentlemanJerseyDavembrekk44AaronWebsteyM_WareTad_Machrowicz
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

Looks like no prize purse at any race except the final.... that's not what I call "great".

So I guess the theory goes, race one time for free so you can make money next year? Dunno. Seems weird.

• Options
    edited July 11
    I like that they are trying to change it up but it feels like it is a lot of concessions to attract less serious athletes in instead of solidifying the satisfaction of your core customer.

The flexible racking in transition is the part the baffles me. Will they have separate transitions fenced off? Personally I don't want people in transition just racking as I'm in the midst of a race - sounds awful. I also don't like the notion as it's inevitable that someone will move stuff around to fit their bike etc etc etc.

I've raced NYC - it was an awesome race. It always sells out. I don't know why you change it up at all. I want the sport to be welcoming to all but I don't like the flex on start and racking.

I agree with the comment above that I'd prefer more race day pick ups and things that help us avoid hotels and missed work hours.
    mbrekk44fyrehaarGranpa ChookTad_Machrowicz
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete
  • Options
    I'm confused as to whom these changes appeal. A beginner has no idea what a good versus bad transition situation is, and a real competitor is not going to be enthused by the rolling start thing.
    fyrehaarGranpa ChookTad_Machrowicz
    ______

• Options
    You ever get the feeling none of these people actually do market research?

Like, I don't know, going to local, popular races and asking people what would get them to sign up for a triathlon? These changes seem targeted not at newbies but at casual triathletes who have already done some races.
    AaronWebsteyGranpa ChookTad_Machrowicz

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch