frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

8/21/2017--Eclipse, who's watching?

M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
Are TriRoosters doing anything special for the upcoming eclipse? If I had the day off I'd probably drop down to Nebraska to watch.
Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
QOAP@triroost.com
http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/

Comments

• Options
    I thought about visiting the family in Kansas during the eclipse but my brother just announced he's coming in from London with a couple limited release scotches. So I'm going to have to settle for a lesser view in Jersey but with a far better drink in my hand.
    M_WareStruangCraig DwchevronTad_MachrowiczHSeeley14
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Bonnie Tyler
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77HSeeley14
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyMamaCheetahCraig D
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    @M_Ware - ha ha ! "......I see the fucking look in your eyes..."

M_WareAaronWebsteyCraig DKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77wchevronHSeeley14
  • Options
    Now, I have the giggles ! I may need to go grab my adult diapers ....
    M_WareCraig Dsimonsen77
  • Options
    neil5youngneil5young Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Was just in Sunriver, OR with family, and they said the Bend area is expecting a crazy influx of people (like 600K+ or something stupid) for this eclipse. Guess it's supposed to be an incredible viewing area for it? Sounds awful to me.
    MamaCheetah

• Options
    MattAaronWebsteyMamaCheetahsimonsen77
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Plans with friends to walk to a nearby park to watch. Seattle will experience 92% coverage so that should be pretty cool. This is a fun site to plug in your zip code to get details on what you'll see.https://vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map
    M_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    A_drizzleA_drizzle Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Working overnight so just super excited it'll be dark during the day. Thanks lunar calendar!
    M_WareAaronWebsteyMamaCheetahCraig Didking90Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    It's supposed to be armageddon-type traffic here in Portland for people trying to get to totality. I keep going back and forth between "fear of missing out" and fear of traffic".

I was thinking about riding my bike down to the edge of totality to get ~24 seconds, but then I remembered the thousands of cars that will be on the road.
    M_Wareidking90HSeeley14
  • Options
    I'll watch it on TV the next morning.

Or I'm sure @Matt will have some sort of gif posted the day after.
    MattMamaCheetahM_Wareidking90KenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @M_Ware once upon a time there was light in my life ... now there's just a pair of cheap sunglasses. Wait. How did ZZTop crash this party ?!
    M_WareAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook when is the traffic in Portland not Armageddon-like? Once at 2:00 am in 1986 it didn't suck. Other than that it's been a near death experience every time we've gone to Salem via the gorge.
    Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPelado
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Going to the family farm in Pawnee Nebraska
    M_WareTad_MachrowiczAaronWebstey
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Pretty sure I'm gonna go up to either Nebraska or Wyoming to see it with all the other Coloridiots.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Staying home. Making cool pinhole viewer boxes with the kids (even though they're too cool for that stuff any more).
    Be safe Roosters!
    M_WareAaronWebsteyMamaCheetahGranpa Chook

• Options
    Heavy cloud cover and rain here. @idking90 how was the trip to WY?
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    That was a bigger letdown than Game of Thrones.
    kjrunninM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoBrent_R
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Eclipse run... shadows through the trees. It didn't darken at all here. my attempts to selfie the eclipse were
    mostly fruitless until I got home and my daughter pointed out the reflection in my sunglasses which became less crescent like with each shot,

But mostly this was a meh, whatever experience.
    Tad_MachrowiczM_WareAaronWebsteyAlexSMamaCheetah

• Options
    It was absolutely amazing. Part of it that was absolutely fascinating to me was actually the social side of it, like an obscure rest stop off I-25 looking part music festival, part post-apocalyptic vibe with literally thousands of people there.
    Eventually we just ended up traveling back a bit farther south trading off shorter time in totality for being a bit more in front of most of the traffic. We actually parked on the side of an on-ramp that was just to a private ranch, but probably had 500-1,000 people there by the end.
    Then the actual eclipse...it was amazing. Hard to explain, but for sure would have looked like aliens if I didn't know what it was.
    AaronWebsteyTad_MachrowiczKenElPescadoPeladoM_WareGranpa Chookmaggieru
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    This is the first positive review of the eclipse that I have seen on social media. Not sure if that says something about me, or my choice of online friends
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_Waremaggieru
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    It was interesting just how dark and cool it got during the 90 seconds or so of totality. My son and wife were amazed by the entire process including the build up before. My daughter found a bug so she had better things to focus on. I was most amazed at the fact the street lights along with our yard lighting came on due to how dark it actually got.

However, the kids still think the giant branch (1 of 3) that was downed in our backyard by the storm Saturday night was the most amazing thing to happen to us in their lifetimes! My son continues to tell everyone that we were the "winner, winner, chicken dinner" because we had the biggest downed branch in the neighborhood. I finally win something and it's nothing anyone, but a 4 and 6 year old, want to win!

AaronWebsteyM_Warewchevronsimonsen77Craig DGranpa Chookidking90maggieruTad_MachrowiczBrent_R
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @AaronWebstey how many people actually went to totality, though? It was really worth it, to me, for about 6 minutes of actual astronomical activity, so really only the very final minutes of partial eclipse and then the totality.
    I was 100% expecting to be underwhelmed because I frequently find myself not being excited by things that average Jane and Joe find exciting. (No, I did not watch Game of Thrones this week, nor any other week)
    And then, because of totality, the social aspect of it, I really have as hard a time explaining how cool that was as I did the eclipse itself. Talking to my parents who were in western South Carolina for it, it seems Wyoming was far more of a weird apocalypse alien abduction movie feeling because of the way it overwhelmed parts of Wyoming and Nebraska that quite literally may never get that kind of tourism again, not even from the relatively close Denver/Front Range metro area.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyRashGranpa Chookmaggieru
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Interest in actual eclipse: 2/10
    Interest in social media eclipse postings: -9999999999999/10
    AaronWebsteykjrunninidking90
    ______

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @idking90 I'd guess 0% of the "meh" crowd saw the full meal deal. It's almost like the internet just sits around waiting for something mildly interesting to happen so that everyone can shout about how disinterested they are.
    RashGranpa ChookTad_Machrowiczidking90
  • Options
    We had a partial eclipse. We're up in the northeast. Had a welding hood to look at it. Saw it about 1/2 eclipsed. Was neat for about 3 seconds. Then I went back to work.
    scottyAaronWebsteykjrunninM_WareTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    I thought it was an amazing experience. I was very inspired seeing 99.2% obstruction. It got cold and dark. The chickens next door were popping off and then got silent. We made a pinhole apparatus and science'd the shit out of it. I definitely regret not braving traffic to go to totality but I'm ready to go to fucking Chile now in 2020.

After all, we're just on a godforsaken rock floating in a void. Go do your thing y'all.
    AaronWebsteyidking90M_WaremaggieruTad_MachrowiczKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    You guys may get stoked to know that tonight the sun will be blocked by the other side of the earth and it'll be dark and cold outside. You're welcome.
    kjrunninidking90AlexSAaronWebsteyM_WareRashwchevronTad_MachrowiczscottyRobert RankinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    dhr said:

You guys may get stoked to know that tonight the sun will be blocked by the other side of the earth and it'll be dark and cold outside. You're welcome.

Where is the best place to observe it?
    AaronWebsteyTad_Machrowicz
    ______

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch