frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

TransitionFour.tv

Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
edited June 2 in Main
http://www.transitionfour.tv/

This just launched. Some cool videos on there already, hopefully they can keep it going.
Tad_MachrowiczAaronWebsteyEric LagerstromM_WareGanter

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
  • Options
    Eric LagerstromEric Lagerstrom Member, Pro Triathlete
    Hey guys, glad you're into it! @Granpa Chook my goal with setting it up was to provide a place for triathletes to go to get stoked to train or race or just get some positive energy. On the athlete side, I've put a lot of resources into making the barriers to filming/producing content while training as low as possible. The energy of the group helps a lot, as it gets some momentum going, and as long as we're able to make a little money here and there, I think we can keep the bills paid and the ball rolling! We're all really pumped on it though, and we'll be making the "launch" a little more official over the coming days. Anytime you guys share the stuff we make or just give us the nod like this, it's huge and keeps us motivated to do more.
    Thanks again!

Check out instagram as well: https://www.instagram.com/transition.four/
    Mattsimonsen77KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarIanLBrent_RGranpa ChookM_WareMamaCheetahRobert RankinCraig DTad_MachrowiczKuchGasBombAlexSMartinGanterellsworth53tItsShugGentlemanJerseyDaveHSeeley14yournotunique
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    TriRoost.com is proud to announce our support of transitionfour.tv in the form of a few ads you'll see as you browse the forum. As a further teaser:

Thanks @Eric Lagerstrom !
    M_WareCraig DGanterBrent_RKenElPescadoPeladoGentlemanJerseyDaveGranpa ChookHSeeley14
  • Options
    Thanks @AaronWebstey! Stoked for the support and looking forward to raising the bar in the future. We've got plans to produce the first ever triathlon film, which will be presented something like a surf film. The plan is to have multiple athletes, each with a "part" that displays their passion and style.

I'd love to hear some feedback on whether people would be into that, whether it would be engaging without training advice included, and whether or not anyone would pay a nominal amount, maybe $5 to download and support the film. As of right now, this whole thing is self funded and, as with anything of this nature, we're looking to cover costs while doing what we love.

Thanks, and everyone feel free to chime in here with thoughts, suggestions, anything. "I wish someone would do ______" is basically our jumping off point.

-Eric
    M_Wareidking90Robert RankinAaronWebsteyfyrehaarGranpa ChookHSeeley14
  • Options
    Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    I joined your Strava group. Doin my part.
    AaronWebsteyEric Lagerstrom
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @Eric Lagerstrom - It will be the second triathlon film - you are forgetting the instant classic Run to Me.
    AaronWebsteyM_Wareidking90AlexSKenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tTad_MachrowiczJohns622
  • Options
    Do you have a Warren Miller-esque narrator? Or am I imagining it wrong.
    ellsworth53tEric LagerstromTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    jakesaundersjakesaunders Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

Thanks @AaronWebstey! Stoked for the support and looking forward to raising the bar in the future. We've got plans to produce the first ever triathlon film, which will be presented something like a surf film. The plan is to have multiple athletes, each with a "part" that displays their passion and style.

I'd love to hear some feedback on whether people would be into that, whether it would be engaging without training advice included, and whether or not anyone would pay a nominal amount, maybe $5 to download and support the film. As of right now, this whole thing is self funded and, as with anything of this nature, we're looking to cover costs while doing what we love.

Thanks, and everyone feel free to chime in here with thoughts, suggestions, anything. "I wish someone would do ______" is basically our jumping off point.

-Eric

I lived with a surfer when I was in France for a semester and I haven't surfed a day in my life but I enjoy watching surf videos. If you can make videos similar to that it might captivate a broader audience. Music is key too, and from your current videos you're nailing that.

I would easily pay $5. Surf videos are great even when you're not really watching them because the music is good and can be turned on when having people over or for just hanging around the house.

I would also love these videos over the winter when on the trainer.

M_WareAaronWebsteyEric Lagerstromkjrunnin
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited July 6
    I <3 this one: http://www.transitionfour.tv/detail/videos/featured-videos/video/5445208915001/st-george-viking-life?autoStart=true

@Eric Lagerstrom is there a way to make the Patreon platform work for you? Yes, I would pay $5. Like @jakesaunders mentions above re: surfing, these appeal to people who aren't triathletes, like me! If you did a longer one it would be something I would expect to see on The Outside TV Channel. (Edited to change Outdoor to Outside!) http://www.outsidetv.com/shows
    AaronWebsteyfyrehaarEric Lagerstrom
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    On th other hand, surf videos have wipeouts and bikinis.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyidking90Eric LagerstromStruangMartinTad_Machrowiczyournotunique
  • Options
    ToefuzzToefuzz Member
    I've never watched a surf video, but love the old Warren Miller ski movies...unfortunately the wipe outs involved with triathlon probably aren't as funny. His narration is what made the videos so good. That would be tough to replicate but if you could it would be awesome. I'm down for $5 regardless... we are triathletes, we spend money (with a lot more zeroes on the end) on stupid shit all the time...this could at least help kill time on the trainer.

Another thought... ride the courses with one of the cameras that record and present grade, have a little GPS map overlay, etc. I found one for IMLou on you tube last year and watched it several times on the trainer over the winter. I haven't found a good one for Mont Tremblant yet. That would be pretty inexpensive to produce.
    M_WareAaronWebsteymaggieruEric LagerstromStruang
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    The Warren Miller ski movies were good. Red Bull also has some great skiing, boarding, and mountain biking video / documentaries.
    Those videos are always centered around some destination that I can't get to to ski and then they ball out on the slopes. It usually shows the travel, epic skiing, the locals, and a dose of chicanery.
    I'd like to watch something like this. For instance, maybe it's about an epic training camp in Boulder. With a small dose of travel to get there, then it follows you folks on workouts, you talk about how tired you are at the end of the day while sitting in your recovery boots, maybe some local fare, cameos of the Bennett's, but then heavy doses of epic riding through the mountains. A great bonus would be Paulo running a workout with his arms crossed.
    Bottom line, it has to be epic riding in places that most of us can't get to.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyEric Lagerstromkjrunnin
  • Options
    Another awesome movie is Lachlan Morton and Taylor Phinney in "Thereabouts 2"
    MattAaronWebsteyEric Lagerstromneil5young
  • Options
    I forgot to mention but I'd obviously pay $5 for this.
    Eric Lagerstrom
  • Options
    Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! I'm always so stoked when I post on here and I get a ton of feedback, especially when it's positive.

Sooo..
    1) wipeouts
    2) bikinis
    3) exotic locations
    4) sweet moves
    5) spend $ on legit narrator
    6) and on sweet music
    7) about 8 of you will pay $5 each, so.. $20 for narrator, $20 for music licenses!

We'll start filming tomorrow.

But seriously, thanks for all the ideas. I've been looking into the Patreon, @M_Ware .. we're just trying to figure out if it's possible to integrate with the Transition Four site, or if there's a better way. Honestly, my favorite thing would be to sell some kits and T-shirts with the idea that you're supporting the movement for better content. For actual videos, we'd like to just throw out a suggested price for a "team film" that's 15-20 minutes in length, but try to fund it through sponsors once the T4 viewership hits a threshold that is valuable enough to them. Then everyone can watch stuff for super cheap/free!

@ellsworth53t Thereabouts=awesomeness. What we aspire to.
    M_Wareellsworth53tAaronWebsteyCraig DGranpa Chooksimonsen77fyrehaar
  • Options
    You forgot the film TRI

Dark_markKenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tAaronWebsteyEric Lagerstromyournotunique
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @GentlemanJerseyDave butterflies.

@AaronWebstey narrator should obvi be @gingerneil.

@Eric Lagerstrom I would pay $5.99 for this.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareGentlemanJerseyDave
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

Sooo..
    1) wipeouts
    2) bikinis
    3) exotic locations
    4) sweet moves
    6) and on sweet music
    7) about 8 of you will pay $5 each, so.. $20 for narrator, $20 for music licenses!

ToefuzzM_WareEric LagerstromGentlemanJerseyDaveMattKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    I so want a reality show based on a relationship that starts in a penalty tent. Please make this happen.
    Eric Lagerstromellsworth53tmbrekk44AaronWebsteyCraig DTad_MachrowiczRobert RankinJohns622
  • Options
    edited July 8
    Martin said:

I so want a reality show based on a relationship that starts in a penalty tent. Please make this happen.

I imagine it would look like Charlie Sheen's scenes in Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

AaronWebsteyMartinCraig DTad_MachrowiczKenElPescadoPeladoCollege_TrifyrehaarRobert Rankinyournotunique
  • Options
    Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers

Sooo..
    1) wipeouts
    2) bikinis
    3) exotic locations
    4) sweet moves
    6) and on sweet music

why did you post a picture of a P5-x
    idking90ellsworth53tMartinM_WareCraig DTad_MachrowiczAlexSAaronWebsteyHensatcKenElPescadoPeladoMattrigpigsimonsen77Robert Rankinyournotunique
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! I'm always so stoked when I post on here and I get a ton of feedback, especially when it's positive.

Sooo..
    1) wipeouts
    2) bikinis
    3) exotic locations
    4) sweet moves
    6) and on sweet music

But seriously, thanks for all the ideas. I've been looking into the Patreon, @M_Ware .. we're just trying to figure out if it's possible to integrate with the Transition Four site, or if there's a better way. Honestly, my favorite thing would be to sell some kits and T-shirts with the idea that you're supporting the movement for better content. For actual videos, we'd like to just throw out a suggested price for a "team film" that's 15-20 minutes in length, but try to fund it through sponsors once the T4 viewership hits a threshold that is valuable enough to them. Then everyone can watch stuff for super cheap/free!

I'll pay $10 if there are no bikinis.

*fine print: $10 Canadian
    M_Wareellsworth53tCraig DMartinTad_MachrowiczAlexSAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMattrigpig

• Options
    edited July 16
    @Eric Lagerstrom did you mount a GoPro to your bike at Hamburg?

I mean, I assume you did, otherwise I don't know how you'd have posted this to your Instagram. If possible, it would be awesome to see a video of your race. Most of us pleebs don't know what it feels like to ride in a pack, especially like an ITU race.
    The Instagram post was awesome and I'd love to see more.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareGranpa Chookfyrehaar
  • Options
    Oh god. Sploosh to the infinity power
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    kjrunnin said:

Sooo..
    1) wipeouts
    2) bikinis
    3) exotic locations
    4) sweet moves
    6) and on sweet music

I will pay $10US if there is boobs, and ya no bikinis....

Craig DRobert Rankin

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options

@Eric Lagerstrom did you mount a GoPro to your bike at Hamburg?

I mean, I assume you did, otherwise I don't know how you'd have posted this to your Instagram. If possible, it would be awesome to see a video of your race. Most of us pleebs don't know what it feels like to ride in a pack, especially like an ITU race.
    The Instagram post was awesome and I'd love to see more.

Yep, I did have cameras. Both front and rear. I'm planning to do one of my usual race videos with power overlay and commentary once I get the footage back from ITU. Their new protocol is to take our files, then add an ITU watermark and dropbox them back to us. So wonderful. And slow.

I'm actually hoping to use the footage from Ben Kanute's bike as well, and do some co-commentary. We were pretty close to each other throughout the ride and have some thoughts.

M_WareAaronWebsteyCraig DAlexSGranpa ChookfyrehaarRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Craig DCraig D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    rigpig said:

kjrunnin said:

I will pay $10US if there is boobs, and ya no bikinis....

@rigpig I hear @KenElPescadoPelado has a laptop for loan that may or may not have what you're looking for. #allegedly
    KenElPescadoPelado
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    @Eric Lagerstrom Yes that sounds so sick.
  • Options
    Hey guys, looking for a little feedback here if anyone has some thoughts..

I've been thinking a lot. I'm considering what direction to go with T4, and how much energy I should be putting into growing a community/video website if we don't have the ability to effectively promote/curate that content. That's a huge task in it's own right, completely independently of the actual production of the content, and without some significant investment in an employee or two that can recruit, foster other content producers, fan the flames, and keep super consistent branding going, I feel like time is better spent operating 100% as a production company. We can keep the video site for the real fans, but we'd have projects featured/co-released on existing triathlon sites, vimeo staff picks, whatever. This approach really requires that the content be extremely high quality, though. If we're going to make money that way, (from sponsor buy in) stuff needs to be dialed.

I feel like I'm at this crossroads right now, where I need to either pay someone to orchestrate everything around building a legitimate online presence , or I need to start paying an up and coming cinematographer to really raise the level of the content, without having to skip or add workouts to film as a one-man show.. A la Brendan Semenuk and Rupert Walker. A match made in heaven that's frankly changing the way mountain biking is viewed.

I think we (or at least I am) stuck in this grey area between quantity vs quality and it's holding us back. The only other solution I see is for us to train as a group way more often so we can film each other. Which, honestly, only makes for a couple chill days a week to film, as long as we want to continue trying to actually be fast athletes. Even if we said "fuck it, filming is the priority" it still restricts the range of shots we're able to get while training, versus someone who could be out on a moped and set up all the epic non-follow style shots we're lacking.

Thoughts? Would you rather see videos coming out every week, and a the story of professional life being told in a very raw way, see t-shirts, whatever to pay the bills, or see much less frequent, but higher quality cinematography, stuff that makes you think "WOW"?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch