frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Yokohama - the case of the disappearing shoes

trineuropatrineuropa Member
edited May 19 in Main
With Katie Zaferes' controversial choice to go back after her sunglasses that fell off during the run, what about Brownlee's cycling shoes?

The commentators' explanation of ITU rules suggested that if equipment was dropped accidentally all was good, but if it was discarded intentionally it is a clear penalty.

After Brownlee's crash, we all saw him running with his bike shouldered. He had no cycling shoes on his feet, and I didn't see them hanging from his pedals. They must have fallen off accidentally, as the British darling didn't receive any penalty. In fact, this became another marketing opportunity for ITU, per instagram.

I know this may seem nit-picky, but I'm losing sleep over this.
AaronWebsteyMartinGasBomb

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I'm interested to hear what people think happened here. They can be pretty sticky about the rules, maybe it depends which team of officials was working that particular race?
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Has anyone synced up a Brownlee/Froome running with bike montage yet?
    AaronWebsteyneil5youngGasBomb
  • Options
    I did enjoy how Murray called out World Triathlon on marketing Brownlee's misfortunate.

Speaking of Murray, anyone think Murray would have gotten away with this without penalty? There hasn't been a trend of ITU officials being lenient to Murray for equipment issues...
    AaronWebsteyidking90KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    It's possible he ditched them at a wheel stop or aid station or something, which would be allowable
    trineuropafyrehaar
  • Options
    @trineuropa @AaronWebstey He did finish in 42nd, so I don't think any application of the rules would have mattered. Why add insult to injury?
    trineuropa
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I personally lean towards "who gives a shit" as well, but the officials seem to be very picky at times but more lenient at others. Maybe I'm imagining this though? Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    On the broadcast it was obvious ITU media thought he had abandoned. They showed his transition area and flashed DNF up on the screen. It was only later that they showed him running and speculated he was just running to test his fitness because he was so far out of the race. I think officials figured he was never a contender for prize money nor points so just let him finish and get him off the course.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited May 19

I did enjoy how Murray called out World Triathlon on marketing Brownlee's misfortunate.

Speaking of Murray, anyone think Murray would have gotten away with this without penalty? There hasn't been a trend of ITU officials being lenient to Murray for equipment issues...

Well, considering Murray would have been cursing like a sailor, flipping all the officials and maybe a fan or two the bird while running, yeah, he probably would have gotten a penalty. But it would have been awesome to watch.

I think I have a little mancrush on Murray.
    mbrekk44kjrunninKenElPescadoPeladotrineuropaRobert RankinAaronWebsteyGasBombfyrehaarCraig D
  • Options
    StanstarStanstar Member

With Katie Zaferes' controversial choice to go back after her sunglasses that fell off during the run, what about Brownlee's cycling shoes?

The commentators' explanation of ITU rules suggested that if equipment was dropped accidentally all was good, but if it was discarded intentionally it is a clear penalty.

After Brownlee's crash, we all saw him running with his bike shouldered. He had no cycling shoes on his feet, and I didn't see them hanging from his pedals. They must have fallen off accidentally, as the British darling didn't receive any penalty. In fact, this became another marketing opportunity for ITU, per instagram.

I know this may seem nit-picky, but I'm losing sleep over this.

looks like someone is a golf fan. why don't you call this in to ITU and see if you can get Jonny DQ'ed?
    MartinTad_Machrowiczidking90
    my shift key has been broken since 1994.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch