frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Cyclist in New Orleans shot while on a group ride AND it was caught on video.

edited May 15 in Main
Its not nearly as dramatic as it sounds to watch it but here you go.

I grew up in the city of New Orleans and Im sad to see the shithole it has become.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/camera-captures-shooting-of-bicyclist-while-riding-near-the-lakefront/439628592
GasBombAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoryanjgates

Comments

• Options
    People suck
    AaronWebsteyDawnC
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Adam_Hall said:

Its not nearly as dramatic as it sounds to watch it but here you go.

I grew up in the city of New Orleans and Im sad to see the shithole it has become.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/camera-captures-shooting-of-bicyclist-while-riding-near-the-lakefront/439628592

The story is sad to read, obviously...but your sweeping generalization of New Orleans is even harder because it's so stupid.
    GentlemanJerseyDave
  • Options
    To defend New Orleans (my hometown) in a way, this is a great post by a local cyclist, shared on facebook (link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1800695903581028&id=100009219080557&pnref=story)

Yesterday, a cyclist was shot while on a club ride here in New Orleans. Immediately, people began to decry New Orleans as the issue.

Is New Orleans the problem?

In France this past week, one of the greatest cyclists of our generation, Chris Froome, was purposely run down by a motorist who fled the scene. The week before, a pro in France was attacked with a box cutter by an irate driver. The week before that, an Italian pro was killed by a speeding van. American cycling legend George Hincapie and his 9 year old son had a pistol pointed at them while riding near their house not long ago in South Carolina. Every year, roughly 800 cyclists are killed by motorists just in the United States. Reports from the U.K. show that a cyclist is 17x more likely to be killed while on the road than a motorist.

Still think New Orleans is the problem?

Go in any bike shop in any locale and ask the group if they've ever had problems with a motorist. I hope you've got comfortable shoes. You'll be there a while. Stories of having things thrown at them while riding are the tame ones. Close passes, close enough to be a near death experiences, happen so often they don't even rate mentioning. Close calls with the bumpers of a texting driver who drifted over too far. Fist fights with angry motorists. Having guns pulled on them. Baseball bats. Fire extinguishers emptied on them. Purposefully hit by side mirrors or nudged while at stop lights. Diesel exhaust sprayed on them. Physically pushed off of a bike by a passenger hanging out of a vehicle window. Usually all while being flipped the middle finger.

That's everywhere. Is New Orleans the problem?

No. The problem is people. The problem is the cops who don't take the reports seriously and who shrug it off with a "shouldn't have been on the road" attitude. It's the DAs who hand out harsher penalties for driving drunk than killing a cyclist. Let's face it, the only way a motorist who kills a cyclist will ever see the inside of a jail is if they were drunk when they did it.

The real problem is the prevailing attitude of everyday people which is that cyclists are much more so a nuisance than a person. The attitude that makes it okay for "normal" people to joke about hitting cyclists on Facebook or feel justified in commenting "get off the road" to pictures of mangled bikes and mangled body parts. The problem is the ignorance of laws that allow people to justify their mistreatment of cyclists. The problem is the people who think the 20 seconds they save by passing a cyclist unsafely is worth that cyclist's life. The problem, to put it bluntly, is most likely people you know.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoneil5youngTad_MachrowiczMattsimonsen77kjrunninGentlemanJerseyDaveDerekLCraig D
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    @maggieru is permanent new favourite
    maggieru
  • Options

@maggieru is permanent new favourite

i have to admit that russian maggie is growing on me too. she can come over to the compound and dogsit any time she wants, for which i will pay her a salary.
    AaronWebsteymaggieru
    my shift key has been broken since 1994.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch