frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Those that have hacked up a pair of Giro Empires...

How did you secure the laces?

Just bought a pair and plan on cutting up a pair of perfectly good shoes when they get here.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    Paging @ThomasGerlachProTri , I think he is the expert on this topic.
  • Options
    @BALLSdorph You got to say his name 3 times for him to appear.
    @ThomasGerlachProTri
    @ThomasGerlachProTri
    @ThomasGerlachProTri
    KenElPescadoPeladoRobert Rankinsimonsen77GasBomb
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    And there goes my "Shop related products" ads
    AaronWebsteyEvanM_WareRobert RankinGasBombCraig D
  • Options
    Yeah I went to his blog first and saw the laces he mentions, but he doesn't say how he tied them. Tough to imagine, without having them in hand, how he secured the laces. Knots inside sound uncomfortable and outside doesn't make sense.

• Options
    I think @AJ Baucco had the laces replaced with a zipper. Can't remember where I saw those pictures though.
    AJ Baucco
    ______

• Options
    I just bought some too, used them on a road ride with the laces and tongue.. absolutely love the shoes, I don't know if I have the heart to butcher them
    rigpig
  • Options
    Yeah I saw the zipper. Think he said it wasn't cheap though.

• Options
    edited May 15
    It appears they are taped in this version. (likely tied underneath the tape)

Robert Rankin
  • Options
    edited May 15
    Also look at the thread - he has pretty detailed pictures/ideas for the laces including added content based upon others modifying his original idea. (his originals were knotted on the outside)

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/05/fastest-ironman-bike-shoes-aerodynamics.html
    AaronWebsteyRobert RankinMartin
  • Options
    I use expand elastic laces on mine. Still adjusting the fit but they work great so far. First race next weekend so we'll see how getting them on/off during a race goes but in training they're fine. Can't tell that close with this one but no tongue and laces start at second hole and go every other one.
    Robert RankinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @jrielley1406 how do you have that heel loop configured?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got 2 separate laces coming to play with

• Options
    @jrielley1406 I <3 your socks.
    kjrunnin
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
  • Options

How did you secure the laces?

Just bought a pair and plan on cutting up a pair of perfectly good shoes when they get here.

Anyone that isn't getting zippers sewn on, in place of the laces, is doing it wrong!!!!
    GasBombrigpig
    Pro Triathlete, Coach, and Inaugural Kona Beer Mile Champion
  • Options

cost me about $100 for a seamstress to do it... but I didn't exactly shop around.
    Pro Triathlete, Coach, and Inaugural Kona Beer Mile Champion
  • Options
    AJ Baucco said:

cost me about $100 for a seamstress to do it... but I didn't exactly shop around.
    Yeah I'll see how these $3 laces I bought work out first :)

KenElPescadoPeladoscottyrigpig

• Options
    Why is this happening? Is there some sort of aero king fu associated with this shoe?
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    Brent_R said:

Why is this happening? Is there some sort of aero king fu associated with this shoe?

Because the pros do it, so it must be fast. Duh!

Seriously I just needed new shoes, and had seen TG's blog about the Enpire's awhile ago. He took them to the tunnel and they tested fast, so I figured why not.

• Options
    @Robert Rankin I actually cut a cat collar then brought it into a shoe repair person and showed him the size of the loop I wanted and he just sewed them on. Cost like $15 for him to remove tongue and put loop on.

@M Ware thanks! HBStache has some sweet socks!
    M_WareRobert Rankin
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Brent_R said:

Not sure if BSquader Jim lurks on here, but he just did a few hours in the tunnel. He said laced shoes tested way faster (well, a few seconds faster) than anything with straps.
    ______

• Options
    @Evan here's the pics you wanted on strava. Just copied a picture from @ThomasGerlachProTri blog. Have pretty narrow feet, so they look tight but were really comfortable. Need to practice getting them on a little but easy off.

Evan

• Options
    I used elastic on a pair of LG 84s (plain white, not colored like @Dark_mark s). I did bar lacing (like I laced my skate shoes in jr high) and it felt comfortable on top of the foot, but the knot is inside the shoe. I thought it would be fine, I used them for the first time in a race this past weekend, towards the end my feet were going numb from the knot, or the pressure, or both.
    I may re-knot them out the outside​ but keep the lacing.
  • Options
    Still haven't hacked mine yet because I like them so much as is.. I will probably just order another pair haha
  • Options
    those look SAWEEEET @Robert Rankin are they tight enough when you slip them on?

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    They're really comfortable. Not tight at all. At first I thought they were going to be too loose, but did a couple sprints with no issues. @mbrekk44 I plan on picking up another pair for when I'm on the road bike.

• Options
    Ordered a pair today and looking forward to hacking them up.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    Anyone try these Empires who have also used Specialized BG shoes? Size comparison between the two?

• Options

Anyone try these Empires who have also used Specialized BG shoes? Size comparison between the two?

I have a pair of 43.5 specialized shoes and they fit great. My 43.5 empire ACC's fit a little bit narrow in the forefoot, but length is perfect. I have a pretty wide forefood and a deep volume foot. A lot of cycling shoes are made for narrow feet so I've had the same issue with other brands.

If you don't have a wide foot or weird dimensions, they should fit true to size.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch