frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

shampoo

ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Ok, serious question. the pool is destroying my hair. you guys know anything that would be better suited to use after swimming to not have the hair of a tormented barbie doll?
Demotivational Speaker
Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
Kansas Native
Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug

Comments

• Options
    From my Rev3 days, the TriSwim shampoo, conditioner, and body wash from SBR Sports all are great.
    Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I had a serious talk about this the other day. Also I need a scent that mixes well with chlorine.. not just tries to over power it. So someone get on making that.
    Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan
  • Options
    Hmmmm. I use doctor bronners and that seems to keep my hair lovely after no more than 2swims a week (with straight, chest length- hair and current hair version).

Almond version keeps ya nice and soft. Men usually seem to like peppermint (it makes me feel like in washing with toothpaste. Good news is you can use it as toothpaste). Teatree version is good for dandruff.

But there is an adjustment period of greasy hair that I endured before I got this fabulous hair style I have now. After you get over that period you only need to sudz up your hair every couple of days. (See numerous "no-poo" articles for the science on this, the effect shampoo has on you and oil production of the scalp)
    Been using this stuff for about 3 years.

**[hippies use back door]**
    Okay, I'll see myself out the back
    ItsShugAaronWebstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    I know this is coming from a girl but my sister and I swear by It's a 10 leave in conditioner or a cheaper alternative Panteen overnight miracle. Both have kept our hair soft and growing! My sister is super into her hair and its length and swears by it. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    The smallest guard on my clippers once a week does the job
    ItsShugScheck48Theooldmanchad
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Not so much that my hair isn't soft. but it seems to be thining it out pretty bad. Might have to check out that stuff @rrheisler talking about. Our pool has been a wonderful tool (especially given the fact that we only have about 3k people in our town and it has an indoor pool) but I think that they WAAAAaaaaay over chlorinate that thing. I get out with my skin burning.

And @Kpressure now that we are on the subject of hair. how do you go about cultivating the dreads?
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    I made my hair with magic. (But really the "twist and rip method")

Also when I was on the swim team in grade school lots of girls hair would turn green (from the chlorine I guess). You can go to the salon and get your hair stripped of chemicals. Doing that every couple of months might help too.
    HMKP
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    This is your hair on swimming.

webb_oh_yea
    HMkrplunkitItsShugScheck48oldmanchad
  • Options
    Mother of God.
    HMkrplunkitAaronWebsteyItsShug
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @AaronWebstey you look like you belong on an episode of SVU, not as a cop I'm afraid.
    Ryan HeislerTheo_MurManAaronWebsteyItsShugScheck48yournotunique
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    upvote for SBR's TriSwim. Though I have found that my hair feels a little worse for the wear from the pool; I previously had girlfriends who were envious of my locks and my current girlfriend hasn't even mentioned them. I'm beginning to suspect something is amiss... Must be my hair and not my charming personality.
    Ryan HeislerAaronWebstey
  • Options
    I'm watching the first season of Heroes, so @AaronWebstey reminds me of the radioactive dude on there.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    That was at the end of a school term, after finishing my last paper ... I had just started my first real-life programming job 6 months previous, was doing a couple of grad CS courses, and was paying Joel Filliol $50/month for online coaching (so yeah, I'm that old!) and doing about 15-20 hours a week of training. I almost went insane before dropping all of the annoying work and school shit and focusing on my racing "career".
    Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    To followup on the skin burning issue @ItsShug mentioned, the over chlorination in my pool affects my face. Pretty sure I have mild burn on my nose and under the goggle line on my face. Someone recommended that I put Aquafor on prior to getting in the pool, which seems to help a bit but not too much. Anybody else have ideas?
  • Options
    Ate you rinsing your hair with fresh water before getting in the pool? My hairstylist told me that pre-rinsing helps to keep your hair from absorbing a lot of chlorine. It has worked for so far. I just take a quick rinse in the showers before putting on my cap and hitting the pool.
    HMkrplunkitItsShug
  • Options
    Seconding the pre-rinse recommendation.

Also seconding the call for a swim cap. Gents, we have to race with them. HTFU and practice with them. It makes you feel like a swimmer, too, which always helps.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    and here i always thought that the prewash was some public pool propaganda bullshit for the dirty kids that would show up and consider their time in the pool their weekly "bath"

@AaronWebstey The grey scale in that photo really knocks the creep level over 9000.

10/10 would kidnap a child/bomb a public utility.

AaronWebsteyRyan Heisler
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    I have dry hair to begin with. Swimming turns my dry hair into a chlorine scented brillo bad. Super awesome.

To avoid this or lessen it, I pre-rinse to let my hair soak up clean water. So I definitely second/third the pre-rinsing. Also swim with a cap like @rrheisler said.

And to round it out, I was introduced to leave in conditioner by the lady and that has helped keep the hair a bit less dried out. Shower after each swim and the other three steps keeps things manageable.
  • Options
    Maybe I just need to Suck it up and use a swim cap. they drive me nuts but im sure i wouldn't mind em once I get used to em
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    I hate swim caps. They're for sailors, baby.
    Theo
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Leave in conditioner. Man up and wear a cap and put the conditioner on your dry hair before you swim. Or, just shave your head.
    AaronWebsteyScheck48
  • Options
    @aaronwebstey well being prior navy perhaps I would be better suited in one.
    @Hseeley14 as always, bringing the suck it the fuck up attitude. thank you I probs just need to use it and get used to it.
    AaronWebstey
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    Wow... special shampoo? I really am a cheap ass. I use the shit that I steal from Marriott for virtually every post pool shower. I think it's decent too.
    TheoAaronWebsteyRyan HeislerScheck48
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    @DHansen1877 I like your style
  • Options
    C'mon, @DHansen1877, you haven't gotten your better half sponsored by SBR Sports yet?
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Pert plus 2-1 will get your hair lookin like this
    AaronWebsteyItsShugdanimal
    village idiot
  • Options
    @rrheisler I'll have to check them out. As the spouse of a pro I have learned one thing over the past couple years regarding sponsors. They don't give a fuck about me and don't want to talk to me, they want to talk to Jen. However, Jen doesn't like to put herself out there, market herself, etc. and instead likes to spend all of my money.
    AaronWebsteyRyan HeislerItsShugyournotuniqueHMkrplunkit
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    @DHansen1877 it's my experience that most sponsors really don't give a fuck about their pros, either.
    ItsShug
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @espej09 see my comment re: Cervelos and boners. Same goes for glorious hockey hair.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch