frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Building up my potential Falco

Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
I currently have a Felt DA frame(54) with a mix of ultegra/dura ace 10 speed components. My crank set is a 172.5mm with stages power meter. FSA aluminum bars with carbon extensions. Boyd carbon clinchers 60mm, 10 speed.

What I need help with is:
Can I use my current Felt DA frame with a normal set of handlebars for draft legal tri races? My bike has one of those UCI legal frame stickers on it.

Should I convert over to 11 speed? Is it worth the extra money? Anybody selling some 11 speed stuff?

For my crank would a shorter crank length be a better fit for me on the falco, to optimize my position? Might need to add some video of me on my bike I guess.

Can you ride the Falco on a trainer? It is really convenient for me and I do all my riding inside during the week on my computrainer.

Anybody selling any components or wheels better then what I have?

I want to build the bike up myself, I have slower gathered some bike tools, and really just need some cable tools and bottom bracket tools.

Any input would be great!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Answering your questions in order:

1.) Yes, the frame has UCI legality so draft-legal racing is fine on board it.

2.) 11-speed ain't worth shit, IMO, unless you run a wider-range cassette (e.g. 11-27 or greater) and need that extra middle cog to find cadence.

3.) Depends on what size Falco you got and how that stuff looked. No access to the drive file given.

4.) *Most* beam bikes are a no-no on the trainer, but I won't speak for Binny on that front.

5.) Nope. I will sell you some sweet waterfront property in Louisiana though.

6.) BB86 should be an easy-ish frame to work with, although be forewarned that if you have an FSA crank, the FSA BB is pretty much required as their 24mm spindle winds up being a little wider than 24mm.

Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Zach, I'm with you on a lot of this, I am building my own bike.

Binny said you can use the trainer but just don't jump out of the saddle and pound it too hard when locked in a standard trainer was his only comment.

You fit is specific to you on those cranks but I did go from the 172.5 to the 167.5 as a 5' 10" guy who rode a 54 Cervelo.

I was able to buy some stuff from guys on here as well as great luck with eBay. There are always deals to be hard for those who are patient.

I also like you thinking on the Felt!
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    10 speed it is then, I think i will keep the felt then and make it a road bike for when the tri bike is in the shop or i want to do draft legal.

I would think the Medium Falco V would be a good fit.

@rrheisler try this link for a video, my meausrments could be a bit off in that video, that was just the last video I had for myself

@PreachSwanson so in the saddle maybe up to 330 watts? @FalcoBike ?

does any have any 10 speed they are parting with?
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I am not sure what the intended max watts on a trainer Binny would recommend, he just said it should be fine as long as your mostly in the saddle. I would guess it can handle the watts but it is more of an issue of smooth verse bouncing.
    Ryan Heisler
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    @TheRunOBX angles look pretty good. What stem/pitch was that?

I think just by going to the shorter reach/higher stack frame, you won't see as much of a benefit from going to a shorter crank.

Good question in re: abuse in a trainer. Today's humblebrag: my last power-test before breaking my spine had me average 358 watts. Last thing I need to do is bust another very expensive piece of carbon.
    Basementbiker
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Random aside: @AaronWebstey went to edit the above post (who actually gives a fuck about what my power numbers were, anyways...*sigh*) and there's no Edit function in either Chrome or Safari. What gives?

@TheRunOBX I did some quick spitball calculations. I think with the hip angle where you are, etc. the simple switch over to the frame should suffice, assuming you keep all of the components the same. You *could* go to a 2.5 mm shorter crank just to ride a touch steeper on the drop front, but I don't know whether that makes a world of difference to you.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thanks guys @rrheisler @PreachSwanson
    I have no idea what stem is is , felts bayonet style fork maybe 85 longer idk though , I have never had any aches on the bike and just trying to get in the fastest position without problems
    i emailed binny, that would be my last question before buying th Falco is impact on the trainer.
  • Options
    I hear ya but I would also remind you that you have the Felt still, the trainer is open to you in a comparable setup
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    Very true, but when the wife sees me riding my old bike 5 days and my new 1 one day then I have problems @PreachSwanson
    Ryan HeislerAaronWebsteyPreachSwanson
  • Options
    @TheRunOBX the comment my wife got after the reveal by @_MurMan, @zachboring, @AaronWebstey and @Kpressure was "You going to manage to hang onto this one for longer than 5 months, or are you just going to fucking break it again?"

Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014!
    AaronWebstey_MurManHMkrplunkitPreachSwansonScheck48yournotuniqueTheo
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler this felt has been sent back once for a crash and used their crash replacement program, then a warranty claim on the fork because I snapped it, then another crash replacement because my wife ran the bike into the garage , I do not have good luck with felt
  • Options
    @TheRunOBX Honestly my wife would fall for it just so long as I talked about how responsible I was being with the expensive bike and how it was still of great benefit to me... (this is but 1 of the ways I have stayed married for almost 13 years)
    Ryan Heisler
    TRS Racing
  • Options
    @rrheisler my bike switching comments over the past few years have garnered the same comments from my fiance. She's holding me to my last comittment. Which is ok. I guess... haha
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options
    @zachboring my bike history:

Felt B16: cracked when I got run off the road. Rode it through training the whole following year until it became readily apparent it was going to fail.

Blue Triad EX: bought from the Rev3 rental fleet when they signed with QR. My dumbass local shop put too many washers in with a BB30 crank when it was time for an overhaul, which caused cracking of the BB. They naturally claimed it wasn't their fault; Blue refused coverage. Awesome.

Specialized Shiv Tri: bought to replace the Blue. Rode it for six months; sold it to finance my move south to work for Rev3.

Blue Triad EX v2.0: They never really managed to sell the rental fleet, so I got back on board one (the one in that photo floating around out there) in a size smaller. Wish I'd bought this, but we sold the rental fleet and I was supposed to get a P5-3 (and an S2) out of us opening the account. Alas, shit happened and the store didn't happen.

Trek Speed Concept: In my profile pic here. Rode that for four months before realizing I loathed it.

Scott Plasma Premium: Honestly, this bike is a fucking rocketship. I loved everything about it until August 3rd, 2014. Can't say anything else as a product liability claim is in with Scott.

HMkrplunkitDuckies
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Zach BoringZach Boring Member
    edited March 2015
    @rrheisler I don't think my number of bikes is thay bad. But I have a poor history of keeping bikes in one configuration for any period of time.

Fall 2010: started with a cheap Raleigh road bike. Rode thay for 3 months and decided I needed a tri bike. With no wrenching experience and my part time job I converted it using cheap crappy parts of Amazon to a tri setup. Used that for a year and killed people on SuperbikeS. It was a lot of fun.

2011 fall: pleaded dad to help me fund a bike. Thought it was the best thing ever and luster after a super bike. Convinced him somehow to do this and bought a speed concept 9. Catch is he made me get a student loan to fund school expenses he would otherwise have paid and I was on the hook for the loan (dumb as this was my only loan from school, dad wins again)

Fall/winter 2012: Was a hotshot locally 2012 and I got a shop to back me. They promised a bike, so I sold mine to fund some sweet wheels and a roadie. Got the other two items, but the bike was still "shipping" forever. Had to make a tough decision and back away from that deal as I was basically promoting them and providing shop services for free. Dumb design to try and be like all the other cool tri guys.

Had to sell road bike and wheels to buy another bike. Sourced a p5-3 and scrounge together money for parts. Subpar build but had a cool frame.

Later that winter, saved enough and bought some better components and bars.

Over the next 6 months the bike was in constant states of change with position, components wheels. I just couldnt try enough stuff.

Cracked the frame in transit to cda, got it repaired and rode it rest of year.

Fall 2013: decided I couldn't get low enough for my liking. Sold the p5, got another speed concept because "that was my favorite bike...." and rode it for 2013 and continued to change components and such. Rode thay all 2014 but never could decide on a good overall package and wasted so much time and money switching stuff out to never be happy. right before az I bought a new p3 and have been slowly making this a Superbike equivalent and have something pretty sweet in the works. This will be my steed for a little while at least.

Got a road bike mid year 2013. Sold it By x mas. got a scott foil in early 2014, sold it to fund something else stupid. Then finally bought my dream do it all road bike this year in January.

It goes without saying, but if I would have spent more time training and just bought what I wanted first, I would have saved a ton of money and been mUch more fit/stressed. Got way too hyped about the "cool" things and didn't consider what was important to me.

Latest project below.....let's just call it the p3-6 :)

HMkrplunkitAaronWebstey
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options
    I've inherited my father's bike hoarding qualities (we had more than 20 bikes, including 2 tandems, in our garage growing up), but have yet to match his level of income.

In fact he just came over to take back the rusted trek mountain bike he gave me in the fall to part it out for a new cheap bike he just got. As he left he said "oh! You could hang a bike on that wall and that wall. Does your boyfriend share your obsession?"

One day I will match his record of bikes kept at one time.
    AaronWebstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I've recently searched the interweb for signs of this beauty, but whomever has it now must be enjoying it. It was my first tri bike, purchased in the late 90s. Frame built by some welder in northern New Brunswick who got into triathlon for a while. Note the "aero" tubes, and road-style bars (pic was taken shortly after I moved to Victoria and had hurriedly tried to make the thing draft-legal).

porter

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch