frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Summer Reading -- Lesley Paterson, others?

M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
I just saw this on Amazon, release date June 8th: http://amzn.to/2p7bW59

It reminded me of this: http://trstriathlon.com/lesley-paterson-interview/ I'm looking forward to reading the book!

What's everyone else reading right now? Know of anything else interesting on the horizon?
Keeper of the Cowbell
Queen of All Donut Awards
Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
Aaron WebsteyMartinMamaCheetah

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited April 2017
    For some reason, I decided that I needed to read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle before I died, so I'm finishing off Quicksilver right now. For a similarly challenging summer, read his book SevenEves, or grab 1Q84 (Murakami). Also reading the new Michael Lewis, The Undoing Project; Nudge (Thaler and that other guy). If you are at all into comic books, invest in the MindMgmt complilations by Matt Kindt. They are something else.

ETA: Looking at that list, I appear to be a giant nerd...
    M_Waresimonsen77MattkjrunninAaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Heh, I've been on a Stephenson binge lately. Plowed through Diamon age a couple weeks ago, now on Snow Crash. Really enjoyed Seveneves last year - it plus Aurora (Kim Stanley Robinson) launched me on a sci fi kick.

M_WareGranpa Chook
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm on a David Eddings kick (Malloreon saga), then I've got a few Tom Clancy novels (before he died and the ghost-writers completely took over) to catch up on.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    I've been reading lots of slowtwitch
    M_Waresimonsen77kjrunninmaggieruMartinAaron WebsteyMattNotSoFatLewIanL
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    A summer should not pass without reading The Old Man and the Sea
    M_Ware
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @Matt one of the Tom Clancy ghost writers, Mark Greaney, has a great series, check out The Gray Man. (No relation to Christian Grey :p )
    Matt
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Fantastic read and a true story: Rowboat in a Hurricane (Julie Angus) about a BC woman's trek across the Atlantic in a rowboat, in a year that turned out to have record breaking hurricane activity.

Best recent fiction read: A Man Called Ove (Fredrick Backman).
    M_WareAaron Webstey

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Penthouse Forum. Although all the stories start the same way.... I know this story is going to sound crazy but it's 100% true..
    MattkjrunninAaron WebsteyM_WareTad_MGrantInSLCMartin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    wchevron said:

Penthouse Forum. Although all the stories start the same way.... I know this story is going to sound crazy but it's 100% true..

Can you make it to the end of the story in one, er, sitting?
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahTad_M
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    I started reading "The Haywire Heart" .... but then stopped because if I get a heart attack, I want to know it's from exercising, not from reading a book that scared the shit out of me.....
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    I recently finished "Fast after 50"... no I'm not 50+, I'm just reading ahead on my syllabus. (joking aside, it had some informative parts)
    M_Waresimonsen77
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    wchevron said:

"My manager, Mr. Webstey, slowly closed the office door. In the excitement, I hardly had time to realize I was locked outside his office........."
    Aaron WebsteyMattwchevronCraig_DMamaCheetahKenElPescadoPelado
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Thank god I am not responsible for managing any other human adults. Shudder.
    KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @Matt and @Martin Thanks for the recommendations, especially that comic, I always like adding to my book list. I never tried Stephenson but have always seen his fucking books incessantly in the sci-fi section. Is Quicksilver the starting point? I admit that has the coolest cover...

I've been reading the Culture series by Iain M Banks, which have been pretty fucking great science fiction. My nonfiction alter-ego just finished How to Live by Bakewell, which is a great book about Montaigne, his life and essays.
    M_WareMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Boys in the boat
    simonsen77M_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Sdog said:

Boys in the boat

+1
    SdogM_Ware
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    I have Kindle Unlimited which means I pretty much read nothing but shitty science fiction. Going to have to check out some of the titles on this list.
    M_WareMamaCheetah
  • Options
    @Sdog @simonsen77 do you remember who was reading Boys in the Boat in August 2015? http://triroost.com/discussion/comment/18932/
    Aaron WebsteySdogsimonsen77
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    It is a great read that touches on so many more topics than just rowing. The building of the American West, the Great Depresdion, Olympic Trials, the German Olympics, Pre WW2
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I've already started Antifragile, thanks @TheActualPaulo!

Can honestly say these books have changed the way I think #lightreading #alittlelatetotheparty pic.twitter.com/jYhZMIOEhL

— Paulo Sousa (@pstriathlon) April 30, 2017
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    M Ware said:

I've already started Antifragile, thanks @TheActualPaulo!

Can honestly say these books have changed the way I think #lightreading #alittlelatetotheparty pic.twitter.com/jYhZMIOEhL

— Paulo Sousa (@pstriathlon) April 30, 2017

You clearly misinterpreted my intentions. I meant that post as a look at me/I'm smarter than you personality projection. I wasn't really interested in having you or anyone else reading it.
    MamaCheetah

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    I wasn't going to buy the book but once i saw the F word censored i said to myself, "Self, when a short, blonde athlete curses it has to be good!".

I since have read the book and I'm now a sub 4 minute miler, Canadian miles.
    MamaCheetahAaron Webstey
  • Options

You clearly misinterpreted my intentions. I meant that post as a look at me/I'm smarter than you personality projection. I wasn't really interested in having you or anyone else reading it.
    @TheRealPaulo thank you for enlightening me. Bless your heart.
    MamaCheetahsimonsen77Craig_DKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i'm currently reading Marukami - what i talk about when i talk about running. love it
    M_WareGranpa ChookMartin

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch