frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

BTA standard bottle help

I run a standard bottle cage BTA using zip ties and I've always noticed that my bottle leaks a little bit most likely due to the downward angle the cage sits and the pressure that places on the valve. I know that my bottle will leak a little bit, but does anyone have any suggestions to keep it from leaking as much?
Nathan Kiser
Just FYI, you... are also less than mediocre. -TheActualPaulo

Comments

• Options
    Step 1: buy a TorHans.
    Step 2: throw out old shit.
    Step 3: install TorHans and race like a champion.

Barring that, you could run that bottle backwards so that you pull it towards you, versus pulling away. Alternatively you may want to look at some of the newer Specialized bottle tops, as I've found they don't leak in that situation.
    Scheck48_MurManDuckiesTheoHansBielatHSeeley14James Lange
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    To follow up on @rrheisler's alternative, the Specialized bottles with a WaterGate top are fantastic at keeping water in even when the valve is open. I believe you can also buy just the tops for a few bucks if you already have a bunch of bottles.

It seems like the TorHans is a much better option for a BTA setup though.
  • Options
    I like to be able to switch out bottles rather than fill one....I also don't see how adding another leading edge to the front of my bike improves the aerodynamics of a bike designed without it. It is probably my ignorance, but I just don't get it. I also run my aerobars narrow enough that my hands and arms are covering up the bottle. Thanks for the tip on the specialized bottles. I'm running specialized bottles, but maybe I have older model.
    Nathan Kiser
  • Options
    Paging @HansBielat to the thread...
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I've heard his side. Looking at the illustrations, I don't run my bta as wide open as their model. I also REALLY like being the versatility of running a standard cage. I would consider the Aeroz if it was ran with a standard cage so I could switch it out with a normal bottle or gas station water bottle.
    Nathan Kiser
  • Options
    Not trying to change your mind @nathankiser but I too run a normal bottle in training bta and install an torhans (previously 30, looking at aero z for this year) simply because the bottles on course just don't fit right. I have run all the cages and none are small enough to do it right. My arms hold it in place when in aero, but have had several bottles fly out in turns. That wasn't fun. The new closure on the aeroz quites my complaints about splashing with these systems (previous torhns, xlab etc) and I am glad to hear they are bringing that to their other products.

Also, larger airfoils are just faster. That's life. The 30 is particularly awesome if you can get it right next tot he head tube. it effectively creates a longer airfoil and provides more surface for the airflow to attach too. The bta won't have the same effect because hand typically cover that. It is small and smooth on top though, which is a nice feature.

Overall, hydration options are very personal. Just wanted to write down why I have chosen Torhans in the past and will continue too for racing. Training is always standard bottles.
    DuckiesHansBielat
    Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man
  • Options
    I guess my other reason for not wanting to do the 30 is that I've put a TriRig brake and the Sigma stem on it and I think it looks pretty now....and I don't want to cover that up. I also don't think the way my bike is setup I will be able to get the 30 close to the headtube, but I could be wrong. I'll post a picture for reference.

IMG_1099
    AaronWebsteydanimal
    Nathan Kiser
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I like pretty but I'll take speed over pretty every day
    yournotuniquekevinschummerTheoHSeeley14
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    like I also said I don't think the 30 will fit appropriately and I don't have the money to try.
    _MurMan
    Nathan Kiser
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    FYI: every time someone posts a photo of a Cervelo on the internet, a Canadian gets a boner.
    nathankiserRyan Heisler_MurManyournotuniqueDuckies
  • Options
    I've got a P2 and a Sigma stem in the test bin; I ride an Aero 30 on my bikes. I'll set it up and see how it looks. What are you running for spacers?
    Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    zero underneath the stem, 15 mm pedestal.
    Nathan Kiser
  • Options

FYI: every time someone posts a photo of a Cervelo on the internet, @aaronwebstey gets a boner.

Fixed it for you!
    Theo

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch