frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tacx Flux

mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
edited March 2017 in Main
So I have been rocking my old Blackburn fluid trainer with my stages power meter for a while.. I ride on zwift quite a bit and think it's time to go direct drive..I am an REI member and have about $240 in dividends.. also this time of year I can get 20% off one full price item..The tacx flux is MSRP $900 , so $480 by the time I add up all the discounts... The kickr or cycleops hammer MSRP for $1300 and I can get one of them for $800 after the discounts.. I like the price of the flux a lot more, but wondering if anyone has heard horror stories with them? Any feedback is appreciated, I would rather spend a couple hundred more now if it means no headaches or trouble down the road.. and yes I have read the DCR review but looking for any first hand experience?
AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    Of the three that you mention, I've seen fewer horror tales about the CycleOps. The Shane Miller YouTube channel has some gems about the Flux. Now, that may be a function of their popularity as much as anything else. People have this strange expectation that their bleeding edge electronics should work out of the box...
    mbrekk44AaronWebsteytoebutt769
  • Options
    toebutt769toebutt769 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Yeah, I second looking at Shane Miller's youtube channel. He's got a review of both the flux(s), and the Hammer. I would probably go direct drive if you can. My opinion....wheel on - Kickr Snap, wheel off - Kickr or Hammer. If you want absolute silence then go with the Neo.
    When keeping it real goes terribly wrong.
  • Options
    Just to offer a rebut to Shane Miller's experiences with the Tacx...tacx is a cool company that will have it fixed. People that spend $700 on a trainer that fails are most likely among the vocal minority in regards to their user base. That said, Tacx said their failure rate is still extremely low, but that was months ago when the initial shipment of Flux's were still in boxes in warehouses.

If you're comparing to the Hammer/Kickr, then look at the NEO as your best option. It's insanely quiet, relatively easy to move around and rock solid (not to say the other two aren't). If you're willing to spend the $$ that Neo is the way to go. Between the three, however, I'd elect to go with the Kickr just because of reliability reputation. I think with the other two you might end up being a post-release beta tester which is the worst.
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I actually picked up a kickr over the weekend, I stopped at REI and it was the only one they had in stock, and buying any of the others online would be an extra $75 shipped... The flux was out of stock for like 30 days... I did what I do best, and went with an impulse buy..I haven't used a whole lot yet, but it was very easy to set up and get right on zwift... It definitely makes climbing on zwift island a whole lot different! As of now I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyEvankjrunnin
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I've got a Kickr and have no complaints. Just remember to unplug between uses. The only time I have issues with mine (ERG mode gets funky on TR) is when I forget to unplug it and leave it plugged in. Very well may not be the issue but I haven't had any issues when I remember. It may not be as quiet as the NEO, but I ride in the room next to my napping infant and it doesn't wake him up.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    i'm a kickr snap guy, i love it. you won't be disappointed. i bike in the garage, so noise isn't an issue. i don't unplug mine, but i'm sure i'm screwing something up with ERG or whatever

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Evan said:

i'm a kickr snap guy, i love it. you won't be disappointed. i bike in the garage, so noise isn't an issue. i don't unplug mine, but i'm sure i'm screwing something up with ERG or whatever

I have a friend that fried two kickr's by leaving it plugged in. Electrical surges and what not. It's kind of a poor design, they should have some kind of button/switch to turn it on and off manually. I unplug mine, but I should just get a proper surge protector.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    My Kickr is great for my ego. Places my power output anywhere from 10-50 watts higher in TR than my power meter. Something is off - I tell myself it's the power meter.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyOverSwimmerCraig_Dkjrunnin
  • Options
    Is the need to unplug it between uses a flux thing or a smart trainer thing? What is exactly happening?
  • Options
    Anyone have a change of heart on any of their trainers? Saw a pretty smoking deal on a Kickr Snap today.

Beyond price, the wheel-on decision is helped by the fact that it will probably be shared with my wife, so we have a cassette compatibility issue on a wheel-off (I'm 10 speed, she's 11 speed).
  • Options
    I bought a Flux as an X-mas present for myself. Leave it plugged in all the time. Don't have any issues with it. My power is up over my old Powerbeam Pro but I'm thinking it's the difference between the wheel on with the Powerbeam and no wheel with the Flux.
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Serious questions, do you think this explosion of indoor power training will cause trainer companies to start bumping watts up and up. Trying to maintain "claims of accuracy" but eventually succumbing to a marketing arms race to sell more trainers because of the subtle feel good factor of a user seeing higher watts? After all, in the clothing industry, the size L of today is like the size XXL of 40 years ago.
    Is @DC Rainmaker or other credible reviews enough to police this? After all, multiplayer environments like Zwift create the pull for weight and power doping, but in the long run I would have to believe it's in Zwift's best interest to keep things on the level. (Almost all the speedometers in cars read high to hedge against liability....) If everyone talks +/- 1% or so in power, is everyone going to calibrate to the + 1%????
    Maybe this needs a separate post.....
    MartinPreachSwansonAaronWebstey

• Options
    RashRash Member
    @Martin If either one of you are going to use primarily .erg mode, then 10 speed v. 11 speed is really not a problem. Just place it on a cog that works and it will stay there.

I have a Kickr Gen 2 and still think it's the best piece of equipment I have purchased since getting into this stupid sport. I purchased it through some DCRainmaker/CleverTraining mega sale.
    Martin

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch