frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

TRS Radio ep 98 - Honey Badger

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
I haven't finished listening yet, but figured there would opinions out there. Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    I thought her response to Jodie Swallow's talents and work ethics compared to her words about Ryf said a lot. She seemed very reticent to level the same amount of praise on Ryf. Or maybe not.
    AaronWebsteymbrekk44Granpa ChookGasBombJennifer Post
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Keep in mind she also knows Jodie Swallow very well and has seen all those things first hand. Didn't seem as though her are Ryf hang out/train together in the same way and they are different generations of the triathlon scene.
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I get what you are saying @Rash , but her tone felt a bit chilly when talking about Ryf. Could just be a jealousy thing or maybe the generational gap, but brrrrrr.

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    I'm halfway through right now, and will chime in with something productive later, but just wanted to share my Amazon "recommended purchases" from just opening this thread.

GasBombAaronWebsteyM_WareBrent_RHensatcandrewm88maggieru
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @GasBomb - I see what you are saying, did seem a bit cold. Just throwing out other possible reasons besides that she thinks Ryf is a walking bag of PED's which could very well be the actual reason for the tone of her response.
    AaronWebsteyMamaCheetahGasBomb
  • Options
    Rash said:

@GasBomb - I see what you are saying, did seem a bit cold. Just throwing out other possible reasons besides that she thinks Ryf is a walking bag of PED's which could very well be the actual reason for the tone of her response.

I think you are reading too much into it. In hockey terms, she replied with roughly the same attitude that Sidney Crosby does when asked about Alex Ovechkin. Respected rival, not a friend.

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @Martin - Not trying to read anything into it, actually trying to give examples of other reasons for her response (in line with yours) to those who are reading into it.
    AaronWebsteyMartin
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Rash said:

@AaronWebstey please assign 1,000 likes from me and offer @GasBomb the I WILL SHUT THIS SHIT DOWN badge.

AaronWebsteyM_WareGasBombMartinHensatcTad_Machrowicz
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    FWIW, I definitely got the sense that she felt Ryf's success was attributable to something other than hard work and talent.
    GasBombEvan
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I enjoyed the interview and was really impressed with her until she gave Sutto a pass on his sexual abuse of a minor by saying he had always treated her well.

Granted, Ben didn't get into the sordid details of the abuse, but she is a smart woman and would (or at least should) have learned of the details herself before paying him money to coach her. Excusing someone of sexual abuse because you weren't victimized by the same person is lame.
    kjrunnindhrM_WareGasBombGranpa Chook
  • Options
    On the Ryf thing, full disclosure, I read the above before hearing the interview, but I felt there was one notable moment where it really felt like she was holding her tongue about her thinking. This was near the beginning when she took some time before concluding that what Ryf has done was "interesting".

I thought she then moved on with the sort of approach you would expect but that little moment of pause did give the impression (when you guys have made me all suspicious) that there was an alternative viewpoint in there that perhaps after a couple of beers at home with your friends, and off the record, might have come out. Who knows!
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    andrewm88 said:

On the Ryf thing, full disclosure, I read the above before hearing the interview, but I felt there was one notable moment where it really felt like she was holding her tongue about her thinking. This was near the beginning when she took some time before concluding that what Ryf has done was "interesting".

I thought she then moved on with the sort of approach you would expect but that little moment of pause did give the impression (when you guys have made me all suspicious) that there was an alternative viewpoint in there that perhaps after a couple of beers at home with your friends, and off the record, might have come out. Who knows!

most notably, the awkward, nervous laugh...

AaronWebstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I'm not sure I would have picked up on anything like that if I hadn't read this stuff first. Disclaimer: I am a full-blown rural Canadian rube.
    GasBombccochraneKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MachrowiczHSeeley14
  • Options
    Down side to listening while commuting sometimes get distracted (damn having to drive in traffic) and miss a min or so ... anyone got a time hack for this part of the convo?
  • Options
    I've given up trying to make judgments about whether or not people dope based on what they say or how they act, or what other people say about them in direct and indirect ways.

But as an american living in switzerland and married to a swiss, I can give a perspective about why international athletes may not have the warm fuzzies for Ryf. By international standards, Americans, by-and-large, are outgoing, warm and welcoming to strangers. They make new best friends while standing in line at Trader Joes. Have you ever forgotten your swim goggles the morning of the race? People race to see who can be the first to give you a spare pair.

The swiss are not that way. While exceedingly good-hearted and generous, it's a kindness not worn on their sleeves, especially toward strangers. In public there's a very strong desire to blend in, not be noticed, and to be modest about achievements. When I run on forest trails here, while everyone offers a polite greeting, it's rather formal. In contrast, in San Diego, when I ran on the beach people offered me beer and bong hits.

I know nothing about Daniella other than what I've read/seen in interviews and such. But none of that would conflict with me thinking she's "typically Swiss" in being reserved and modest in a way that can come across as cold and indifferent to americans.

And remember that she doesn't race on the north american or australian circuit, and she trains primarily alone or with Sutton's group. Which means the "cool kids" of twitter/facebook don't interact with her other than on race day when they're watching her pull away into another zip code. In other words, few of them have gotten to know her. I don't think that MBE even trained all that much with her?

In other words: there might be other reasons she's not a fan favorite or well-loved by other athletes. But the simple answer may be that it's just cultural differences. Which reminds me--I don't think other athletes are head-over-heels for Nicola Spirig either, and she has that same public demeanor.

But then again, I'm terrible at knowing why some athletes are liked or not liked. I can't, for example, understand why all of triathlon is so in love with Meredith Kessler. But that's another story.

GasBombbalsdorfEmilyCockswchevronmbrekk44AaronWebsteyMartinGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MachrowiczmaggieruHSeeley14
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    If there's one thing the TRS podcast showed me, it's that all professional triathletes are boring af and there's no reason for me to care about any of them.
  • Options
    Tad_MachrowiczTad_Machrowicz Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I wonder if the WTC management team listens to these to get pro perspective/concern on race quantity and purse strategies. Of course they do! Wish Mary Beth had a tangible suggestion/solution, but it's a tough problem to solve for sure.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch