frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

2016 Cervelo P3 - buy or pass

edited February 8 in Main
Last year I grunted through 5 tri's, mostly flat. I did so on a Trek Madone 5.9 fitted with clip-on aero bars. Most training rides done on the Kickr but when I did get out the back-n-forth from aero bar to shifter drove me batty at times. A couple events I rode with left hand on aero, and right hand on shifter due to rolling hills.

So, I have wanted to get a tri bike for this year vs my band-aid approach... And have come across a stock 2016 P3 just under $3k from our LBS.

Any thoughts on the bike overall? Or whether my money should be saved and put toward something else?

Comments

• Options
    Yep. 54cm and I'm right at 5-9.
  • Options
    What are the stock components (groupset, wheels, bars)?
    Does it come with a fitting session?
    As you improve, will you be able to adapt to a more aggressive position?

You can usually get a super deal on a used frameset/bike from the "one-and-done" or the "yearly upgrade" triathletes.
    Evan
  • Options
    I've got a P2 and R3. Pretty happy with them, and there have been easy upgrades available. Totally recommend the brand if it works for you.

That being said, the P2 to P3 difference can be negligible. If it's mechanical Ultrgra with the mavic wheels, maybe look at the P2 and have some $$ for Di2 or better wheels.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    x2 on what @Matt and @simonsen77 have already said. I also have a P2 and have no complaints.

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Oh, and one other thing. Is there anything you'd want to move between bikes? Specifically thinking of a power meter. Cervelos use a 89mm wide bottom bracket. Think the Trek is a PF90? Shimano cranks could go back and forth but not sure about other kinds.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    You could get a p2 for less and not be sacrificing much if the P3 you're looking at is mechanical. If it's the di2 version then $3000 is a sweet deal and I'd jump on it.

Like @simonsen77 said, in terms of power meter, you can also rig up FSA 386evo cranks and use a stages for both.....maybe.

For $3k I'd be more prone to look for a slightly used bike and race wheels. I guarantee you could get di2 and a decent set of race wheels on a 2013/2014 model year bike.
    MattMartin
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Stock specs appear to be FSA Gossamer crankset, mechanical Ultegra 6800 11SPD, Mavic Cosmic wheels, ISM Prologue saddle.

I would not be shifting anything from the Madone to the TT bike as my gf has her eyes on the Madone as her first bike... :)

As for getting a used bike I would only be leary of not knowing what I was getting. With the Trek, I got a 5.2 from the LBS and the frame cracked a month later. Luckily, warranty was honored and they took care of it. Trek was out out of the same 5.2 model I had, so they upgraded me to the 5.9 for free.

But I have been looking around at used bikes nonetheless...

Thx for all the advice.
    M Ware
  • Options
    My first two tri bikes were used. I quickly learned with my third, new tri bike that I'll fuck up a new bike just as quickly as a used one, and used is the best way to go. Fourth tri bike also used.

Most frames are splitting hairs when it comes to how aero the are. Difference comes from position and your ability to ride it (fit). Also suggest a disc wheel.
    MattAaronWebsteyGasBombEvanRobert Rankin
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    I bought my P2 used as well. The seat clamp cracked thanks to a over zealous LBS hand, however it's otherwise been solid. I had to rig the seat post to keep it from sliding down while I ride.
    I would just really look it over carefully and check the torque points for any cracking because those areas usually can not be repaired (no one would touch mine).

Don't worry though, word has it Dan himself (the creator of bicycles, wetsuits, triathlon and confusing articles) is going to be writing a piece about buying a used bike in the near future over on the twitch. Once you read that, I am sure you will be an expert - assuming you can decipher the encrypted message.
    GasBombAaronWebsteyM Ware
  • Options
    i think the P3 would be a great first TT bike. i've got nothing but good things to say about my first cervelo. also, the P3 isn't so proprietary that you're stuck if you want to upgrade, change components, shift things around, etc. in the future. so it's a good move, i think. Ultegra is fantastic.

as for new/used. who cares? if buying new gets you peace of mind and you can afford it, then just go for it. under $3K sounds great and i imagine your LBS throws in a fitting or two on top of it which is savings as well that you'd pay for a used bike.
    AaronWebstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch