frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Gauging Interest for Challenge Aruba as Final Team Race of 2017

AJ BauccoAJ Baucco Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, Pro Triathlete
Challenge Aruba on OCT 22, 2017...

Talking with Challenge Aruba about making that race our final team race of 2017. They have some really awesome and crazy affordable packages available for their partner teams.

I would only want to do this if it could be a Baucco Squad / TRS family vacation. I would race, we could try to get Ben down there to cover the race and party. We could all stay in same hotel and organize some super fun stuff leading into the race and of course after the race.

Just gauging initial interest.... Anyone potentially interested?
Pro Triathlete, Coach, and Inaugural Kona Beer Mile Champion

Comments

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Would love it, but not possible this year. Make it an annual thing and I will make it happen next year.
    kjrunninHSeeley14MamaCheetah

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I thought this said "gangbang interest"... sorry, wrong thread!
    GasBomb
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Agree with @GasBomb, might be tough to make it happen this year for some folks, especially since many people have already planned most of their season. Great idea though and would love to do that race and meet everyone. Next year I would be in for sure as I could start planning and saving NOW :)
    kjrunninGasBombCraig_DMamaCheetah
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    My wife is always up for a trip to somewhere warm - I'd just have to check the work calendar before committing to it. I've had a good time on the island before and would love to spend some more time down there.
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    Similar to most, couldn't swing that this year with IMAZ on the books, but would likely be game for next year! Can't beat a fall/early winter tropical race to shake off the cold.
    GasBombkjrunnin

That's one small step for man! One giant... I have a dream!

• Options
    The price mentioned on Facebook looks totally doable IF I wasn't already signed up for IMFL
    MamaCheetah

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Yep, already have IMCHOO, plus kids in school. Don't think a 5 day vacay would be possible in October.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    biglazybumbiglazybum Member
    edited January 2017
    Would definitely be interested, biggest factor would be airfare and cost of a hockey bag, might bike has yet to be on a plane.

How many people do you need to pull this off and what's the timetable for making a decision?

• Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM
    I started checking flights, and for me flying out of the MD/DC area they look very reasonable...Around $500 round trip.
    This sounds like an awesome trip, would love to be able to swing it this year, but as others have said, if it goes well I think it could be a cool annual trip.
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    Kuch said:

I started checking flights, and for me flying out of the MD/DC area they look very reasonable...Around $500 round trip.
    This sounds like an awesome trip, would love to be able to swing it this year, but as others have said, if it goes well I think it could be a cool annual trip.

Looks like we should be able to put together hotel (5 nights), transportation and race entry packages for 600 to 900 depending on hotel. So yeah, should be pretty reasonable for racing in paradise!
    Kuch
  • Options

Would definitely be interested, biggest factor would be airfare and cost of a hockey bag, might bike has yet to be on a plane.

How many people do you need to pull this off and what's the timetable for making a decision?

Talked to race director today. We should have a better idea of packages for you all very soon. The more people we get, the better chances we have of putting together nice packages each year. I definitely like the idea of finishing the season in Aruba!
  • Options
    Wife has signed off! In.
    ______

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Yeah I am into this.
  • Options
    Me: Hey babe, wanna go to Aruba?
    Wifey: Isn't that where that chick got killed?
    M_WareGasBombMamaCheetah
  • Options
    This would be a great race! I'm interested for sure.
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Good time to up the insurance policy.
    MamaCheetah
  • Options
    wchevron said:

Good time to up the insurance policy.
    On myself, or her?
  • Options
    AJ Baucco said:

we could try to get Ben down there to cover the race and party.

I don't think he can drive the Airstream to Aruba
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Going to post this information in a different thread, but I have talked to the race director and he has offered us some great packages. SEE THE ATTACHMENT BELOW.

The packages need to be booked by Feb 1, BUT if you just email them, I am sure they will work with everyone. They can also alter and change packages based on everyone''s needs. So you guys can bring your wife/husband, or your whole family, or even travel alone. If you want to stay longer they, they can work with you on that as well...

I will personally be there racing and am planning to stay a few days after for end of season vacation. Ben may be there as well.

This is going to be an awesome end to the season!!! Hoping a bunch of people join.

**If you are going, don't forget to update calendar on team website. If we get a big group, we will DEFINITELY move some of the budget to this race.

Aaron Websteysimonsen77
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    From the Athlete Guide, page 15...

"Swim suits, because of the perfect water
    temperature, will not be allowed / necessary."

I'm on a quest this year to do 17 things I've never done before... naked triathlon... hmmm...
    yournotuniquewchevronAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah

• Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    kjrunnin said:

I'm on a quest this year to do 17 things I've never done before... naked triathlon... hmmm...

I could get behind this.

THE IDEA. I MEANT THE IDEA!
    kjrunninM_WareHensatcKenElPescadoPeladowchevronRobert RankinCraig_Dneil5youngDerekLStruangAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    kjrunnin said:

Looks like I've got a place to try my new drone out.
    mbrekk44kjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Websteyaltayloraus
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I went there on a scuba holiday in 1997 in October. All I can say is bring lots of sunscreen. I'm a pasty white boy and I was getting sunburns 30 feet under water. The sand was so hot at midday you had to sprint across the beach. It rained every morning for 15 minutes just to bring the humidity up to 100%. Still holds a special place for me as it was always a place I wanted to visit and I was grateful to still be walking so I blew a load of insurance money there. Locals were awesome. Food was great. Drinks were better when my wife went to get them from the bar, and I'll never forget the lady walking her tiny dog down the sidewalk beside the beach wearing only high heels and a thong... Enjoy. Its a great place.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareTad_MyournotuniqueAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I'm even more sold. Is it an expensive place?
    #KOAT
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    edited February 2017
    My parents go there every year for about 7-10 days, and they fucking love it... I went with them once, a few years ago. The water is very clean and deep blue, everyone speaks English, it's clean, and you will feel as safe as the US/Canada.. Its just like any tropical tourist place that you can spend shit loads of money on fine dining, or find a dive with cheap beer and good burgers..I would be all over this trip, but due to the fact that I'm a farmer and harvest is October, it is impossible :(
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I'm even more sold. Is it an expensive place?

It's often referred to as the Las Vegas of the Caribbean. They usually deal in US dollars so for us Canucks it adds a bit. You can find some deals on stuff to eat if you do some homework though. I met a couple of teachers that were working there and they said it wasn't too bad once you got the lay of the land.

I found it surprising how commercialized (read North Americanized) it was. Their only exports are aloe vera and refined Venezuelan oil so they bring in everything from the mainland which makes some things pricey however they advertise that they have the best duty free products around. After my visit there I actually tried to get a job at the power plant and the water treatment plant just because the place was so awesome. Alas they didn't
    recognize my qualifications so I'm stuck in Edmonton. Queue up the sad violin music.
    Aaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Do we get a discount on race entry for Aruba? Asking for a friend
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladokjrunnin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Anybody want to do a relay down there? Also asking for a friend.
    kjrunninMamaCheetah
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    We are fo SHO a maybe for next year.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Anybody want to do a relay down there? Also asking for a friend.

Possibly. I need to revisit this race now that it is a little closer.
    KenElPescadoPeladokjrunnin

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch