frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Check Out My Sweet Phone Mount

ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
edited January 2017 in Main
I am a TrainerRoad and Android devotee. They recently (finally) released an Android app so I can now use it on my cell phone. I wanted a way to mount my cell phone to my bike while training but the options were expensive and ugly. I already use a bar fly mount on both my road and TT bike, so I decided to use this as a mounting point for my cell phone.

Additionally, and importantly for this post, I already use a magnetic mount in my car (mostly for listening to awesome podcasts like the TRS and TrainerRoad podcasts). Notably, it requires a thin metal plate to be attached to the phone, or in my case, inside the phone case. It works really well and is practically invisible.

TLDR: I made a magnetic cell phone mount for my bike.

First: I bought a cheapo magnetic car mount ($7.99) and a SRAM Garmin Mount Adapter ($5.00).

When my parts arrived, I removed the vent clip from the bottom of the cheapo magnetic car mount. It was held on with a single screw. It took me longer to find a screw driver than to remove the clip.
With the Sram mount, I used tin snips to cut off the clips for the non-Garmin mount side. This took the longest tallying about 5 minutes in total. Then I used some JB Weld to glue the two parts together.

I let the JB Weld cure over night and bickety bam, I have a minimal, elegant, cell phone mount.

Now I can easily put my phone on my bike while training indoors on any bike for TrainerRoad, music, youtube, or trash talking you mofos here or on Twitter.
M_Warewchevronsimonsen77AaronWebsteyTad_Mmbrekk44MamaCheetahBrent_RKenElPescadoPeladoPreachSwanson

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @ellsworth53t I'm going to pin this on the TriRoost Swim~Bike~Run Paraphernalia board. It will probably get a gazillion repins!
    ellsworth53tAaronWebsteyTad_MJohns622
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    M Ware said:

@ellsworth53t I'm going to pin this on the TriRoost Swim~Bike~Run Paraphernalia board. It will probably get a gazillion repins!

Awesome. It turned out much better than the home-made disc wheel.
    Feel free to use the JPEG I posted to Twitter as well as any images here.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyMartinEvan
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I did the same, but used a 3D printed piece instead of the SRAM. Found it on shapeways.
    ellsworth53tM_WareAaronWebstey
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options

I did the same, but used a 3D printed piece instead of the SRAM. Found it on shapeways.

@simonsen77 Nice, man. I saw that on shapeways. I was going to go the same route but my 3d printer doesn't do support material. I started thinking of how I would model it and realized it would be more convenient to go this route. I'd love to see your solution.

I love DIY bike hacks.....I'd like to design and print a nosecone/hydration system for my bike like the Scott Plasmas. It just depends on how busy I get at work.
    M_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I would love to play a bit more with the 3D design and make some use of that mounting bolt at the bottom of the downtube on my P2. A small case to hold CO2 and a multitool seems like it would be easy.

So, for my mount I used this garmin adapter and this flat stick-on magnetic mount.

I generally use it to mount my phone while riding. I can run Trainer Road on my phone, and then Zwift on the HTPC/projector. I also put one of the metal plates on my keyboard, so that stays put while riding as well.

M_Wareellsworth53tTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    @simonsen77 Nice, man. That's a really smart idea with the keyboard.
  • Options

I would love to play a bit more with the 3D design and make some use of that mounting bolt at the bottom of the downtube on my P2. A small case to hold CO2 and a multitool seems like it would be easy.

I sketched up a similar idea for my bike and I have a high school engineering student working on it for me at the school where I teach. I'd do it myself if I had some free time. I'll buy him a Chipotle gift card for his work.
    M_Waresimonsen77Tad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Dont you guys sweat your ass off on the trainer? I don't even want my phone near me
    jakesaundersMattAaronWebsteywchevronTad_MMamaCheetah
  • Options
    jakesaundersjakesaunders Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    mbrekk44 said:

Dont you guys sweat your ass off on the trainer? I don't even want my phone near me

I'm the same man. I keep everything far away.
    Mattslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    I got the same SRAM mount except 3m taped it to a shitty phone case. Same idea I guess. My issue is getting my phone covered in sweat and then it becomes useless. It's an old nexus 4 that I keep as a backup so I'm not too concerned about it exploding.

As for sweating on the trainer, I used to just completely drip while riding, and then I learned of this device that will take electricity from the wall and convert it to wind energy. This keeps me relatively dry except for the sweat the flows down my arms and onto my handlebars
    M_Wareellsworth53tsimonsen77AaronWebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited October 8
    For delicate fucking flowers who need to HTFU it is officially trainer season in South Dakota. I was getting a crick in my neck from glancing to the left to watch GCN this morning when I remembered @ellsworth53t's simple solution. Resurrecting this thread in case anyone else is in need.
    ellsworth53t
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    For the folks with sweat issues - buy a LifeProof case. Workout then wash it off in the sink. They are pricey for a phone case, but pretty bulletproof and more importantly for me - soap and waterproof.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DAaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch