frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Riding in South Florida

Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
I am in Tamarac. I drove to Key Biscane to ride today because everyone says that's where the good riding is. It was a stupid 10 mile fucking loop (if that).

Where the fuck can I ride that won't get me killed and is not too far from Ft Lauderdale?

Comments

• Options
    Also interested in this topic. Visiting the wife's side of the family in April and would like to not repeat this whole broken spine experience.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    When we used to train there we just rode up and down A1A. Not an optionoption, or just too boring?

There were 50+ group rides on Saturday mornings featuring an old dude who looked just like the Hulkster.
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @AaronWebstey I don't care about boring, I care about being safe and being able to ride without hitting stop lights every half mile. Does A1A fit that bill?
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Dark_Mark I guess you'll have to check it out since it was 11 years ago, but if I remember right, yep. We were based out of Boca Raton and according to Joel F's research (we were a *slightly* less successful version of his tri squad back then) it was the best thing around there. Not positive about frequency of stop lights, but I seem to remember riding 2 abreast without issue, even in traffic.
  • Options
    Plus there was a house on it that everyone said belonged to the actual Hulkster. So there's that. And as a coastal road, the views are good (i.e. you see occasional boobs and/or bananas, whichever is your preference).
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey Thanks, I will definitely check it out.
    AaronWebsteyRyan Heisler
  • Options
    Found this on Boca Raton's city website: http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/rec/pdf/BicycleSuitabilityMap.pdf

Looks like A1A is one of the best bets: dedicated cycling lane, moderate traffic.
    AaronWebstey
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    A1A is a death trap. I'll meet up with you if you want and I can show you my loops in Weston, which are all very safe. Also, if you're in Tamarac, you're not more than two blocks away from me at any given point in time. Let's go to The Kingshead and get plastered.
    Ryan HeislerMark_after_Dark
  • Options
    Curses - foiled again!
    Apologies, I actually didn't realize the traffic was so bad. Probably had my head up my ass on all those A1A rides, thinking about girls or computers or Girl Computers.
    Duckies

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch