frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Equality for women, keeping things in perspective

TheoTheo Member
With all this talk and discussion about equality for the Pro Women in terms of getting equal representation at Kona (which I'm all for), I found it a pretty interesting comparison to look at the cycling Tour of California which, for the first time this year, will also include a women's version of the tour. Great progress, but check out some of the stats from the official route :
Mens route - 7 stages - avg 99.5 miles/stage - San Jose to Santa Barbara to LA (high density population areas)
Womens route - 3 stages - avg 52.6 miles/stage - Lake Tahoe and Sacramento (medium to low density population areas)

I get that it's better than nothing (which is what was offered previously), but really, what is the message being sent when some of the women race stages are 50 and 34 miles in length? That's barely 1.5-2hrs of racing, on par with junior mens or entry level bike racer distances. WTF?

At least in triathlon women get to go the same distance as the men.
AaronWebsteyolson_ayournotuniqueDHansenTriJames LangeHSeeley14espej09
seems like kind of an asshole =)

Comments

• Options
    Same problem with most track distances, or certain swim events, etc.

Tri gets it so close to right with this. I think that's why the 50WTK issue is such a hot-button topic: it's the last regulatory barrier we have in the sport.

This doesn't begin to touch the other barriers to entry: cost, intimidation factor, lack of fun, time considerations, etc.
    AaronWebsteyolson_a
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Female cyclists have it bad for sure...not sure if anyone remembers the social media campaign that was organized over the last couple of years calling for there to be a women's version of the Tour de France (check out this link: (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/oct/27/tour-de-france-women)

It resulted in a one day race in Paris finishing just before the men roll into town....which is bullshit. Basically, the UCI and ASO makes the WTC look like feminist trailblazers. There was also a documentary put out fairly recently called half the road that provides a great overview of the state of women's cycling. More on the tour of California, Rapha organized a group of 6 women to ride the entire tour of california ().

So yes, women triathlon have it relatively good (Emma Pooley recently retired from pro-cycling and took up triathlon as a result of this), but equality is equality, t the idea that just because triathlon is better than cycling doesn't give the WTC license to continue adopting sexist policies while staking claim to the moral high ground.

I'm particularly bothered by the unequal spots because I can't understand what is stopping the WTC from making this equal. It's not like the WTC pays airfare/accommodations etc... for pros competing in Kona, so it's not like adding 15 more women would actually cost them anything.
    Ryan HeislerTheoyournotuniqueDHansenTriHSeeley14
  • Options
    It costs them $12,500 in revenue if you believe their "we have no room on the pier" bullshit.

Herbert at ST and I had a phone call about this topic, and that he was of the mindset that the end game is to make it 30/30, opening 25 new AG slots and a brand new flat/fast North American IM. 2800 x 750--whole lot of fresh cash in the coffers.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    yeah, pretty sure that's bull shit....would not be surprised at all if that's the way they go.
  • Options
    I'll spare you all what I think about the subject, and have witnessed in the sport since 1988.
    That way you won't all hate me.
    "I'm just like everybody else, except Bigger & Bolder & Better in every way"
    West.  Rhymes with "Best"
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Bobo I'll bite. Please??
    HSeeley14
  • Options
    @HeatherLow I think you'll "appreciate" the Sacramento stages for the ToC, where both the men and women are racing on the same day in the same city.

The men go for a 127mile road race jaunt finishing up with some circuits around the state capitol. Meanwhile the women are left with a 34mile circuit race around the capitol.

Really? It's almost like they're making a concerted effort to have the women's ToC be a failure...
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    I just don't get it either... ignoring the fact that it's just not right to have inequality, it's a lot of fun watching a bunch of fit, good looking athletic chicks racing. Who doesn't want to watch that?
    Ryan HeislerAaronWebsteyPreachSwansonTheoHeatherLowHMkrplunkitJames LangeHSeeley14
    Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.
  • Options
    Wimens are just the same as mens!
    HMKP
  • Options
    Not all cycling races are totally minimizing women. Redlands Bicycle Classic, in my town, 5 stages for both men and women. Womens distances do look to be about 70% or so of the mens stages. But they do the same number of stages. I enjoyed watching the womens races last year just as much as the mens. Its not equal, but its better than just having 2 stages with 1/3 of the distance.
    Theo
  • Options
    Is it 70% distance so the women can have dinner ready for the men when they're done???? (I kid, I kid)
    _MurManyournotuniqueAaronWebsteyHSeeley14
  • Options
    rrheisler said:

It costs them $12,500 in revenue if you believe their "we have no room on the pier" bullshit.

Herbert at ST and I had a phone call about this topic, and that he was of the mindset that the end game is to make it 30/30, opening 25 new AG slots and a brand new flat/fast North American IM. 2800 x 750--whole lot of fresh cash in the coffers.

Thank you for this. I knew there had to be some money angle as to why WTC is so against this, but what you said makes sense. Otherwise it seems like the mother of all no brainers to add the 15 and move on.

WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Scheck48 said:

Is it 70% distance so the women can have dinner ready for the men when they're done???? (I kid, I kid)

With 70% they better have the laundry and dishes done too.
    regular_markTheo_MurManPreachSwansonAaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch