frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Question for the Kickr users

I just got a Kickr today and plan on using it sometime this week. I have a few questions for those who have the older kickr. I was playing around today with it and did a spin down calibration with it and read 481 twice and 482 once, 75 degrees and 18s spin down. This was through the Wahoo app.
Wanted to hear what other people are calibrating at, what the appropriate number is?
I cant control the kickr with a power meter, i run a powertap hub which is one of the reasons i opted for the hub based smart trainer. Which brings me to my next question, how close do you think/feel the power is compared to your powertap. Effort, Heart rate and so on would be helpful. if anyone has any files replicating some workouts of a kickr and outdoor or indoor 'dumb' trainers would be great as well.
village idiot

Comments

• Options
    My calibration numbers vary massively - but then sometimes I validate in a room at about 3C in the middle of winter and others when its 25C in the summer... I wouldn't read too much into the number, just make sure you refresh it every on now and then.

I have run it alongside my P1s and from eyeballing it (with the Kickr giving my numbers on Zwift and the P1s on my Garmin - leg split and smoothness = data recording benefits) they seem about right, I generally run 3s on the Garmin and whilst the Kickr numbers fluctuate a bit by virtue of being instant vs 3s average they are normally pretty consist. Caveat if you don't spin down very often though they can fall out of whack a few % (I've seen up to 5 when I hadn't bothered to spin down and temps had changed substantially).

What I will note, I always find that when its in erg mode the kickr sucks cadence out of ones legs and it always seems harder to me that delivering the same effort on the road.
  • Options
    In my 23 degree celsius (73F) apartment my Kickr calibrates to 477. I have a PowerTap hub as well, so I can't run both concurrently, but I do think the Kickr reports slightly lower power than my PowerTap.
  • Options
    Another question or those using a kickr OR any type of smart trainer, I want to do an FTP test on the kickr but it has erg mode do you set your estimated ftp and just try and hold it for 20min? or does the ERG mode stop and you just use the weight of the fly wheel and your gears for the duration? I have the wahoo app as well and saw there is a resistance mode is that helpful in the an ftp test or leave it as is?
    Ive always done the FTP test on a fluid trainer with a PT hub...so this is a little new to me.
    village idiot
  • Options
    Stop zwifting and get on TrainerRoad

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    planning on it when my 2 months run out.. :D
    village idiot
  • Options
    @espej09 there are a number of ways to skin this cat. Most programs that run this will do it in "slope mode" setting a presumed incline at 2-3% but letting you churn out whatever power you can. You don't really want to set a power number in erg mode as that will either lead to failure, or give you exactly what you set as your ftp.
    pete
  • Options
    TR and Zwift both use slope mode for testing. Set the resistance to something moderate, and use your gears and cadence to vary power.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    @espej09 - slope mode for the 20 min potion of the test.
    You can go erg for the warmup, but switch over to slope mode on TrainerRoad for the 20 min test.
    Cheers, -Sam
    Go Team Red Cocks!
  • Options
    What if I wanted to do an FTP test without trainer road...is there a specific resistance i can put it on. Ive been playing with the app and my garmin 520 and there are different levels vs different resistances ...just pick one and make it consistent? all this new techy shit...
    village idiot
  • Options
    @espej09 put your trainer in slope mode from the start and just follow whatever ftp test protocol you choose using your legs to decide what power. You could do this at 0% grade to keep it simple (just jump on the kicker ad go) or set it to 3% incline to give you some extra resistance to work against. No real need for a program to control trainer power for you.
  • Options
    @espej09 , after having the kickr and playing with it a little....is it worth purchasing?
    kjrunnin

Toughman Aqua Bike Champion of the World
  • Options
    Capen said:

@espej09 , after having the kickr and playing with it a little....is it worth purchasing?

Don't know his impression but I see huge value in mine. I used to despise the trainer. Living in FL I can ride outside year round, so I did until I got my Kickr. During the summer I only rode outside once a week, and won't ride outside this winter unless I hop in a group ride occasionally. I prepped for a full doing 90% of my rides on the Kickr with TrainerRoad. I get quality workouts in without having to worry about being someone's hood ornament.
    M_WareEvanCapen

• Options
    As @Robert Rankin said it's pretty awesome. I've used and own a computrainer, hated all the wires, old technology, using a computer to workout, it just added so much more time to it. Snagged a kickr at a great price. I am no stranger to training inside, 100% of it is done during the winter logging some long, but quality hours during the week. It's simple, hop on pair your phone, wahoo app/TR app and even a Garmin edge and you're all set. Put it in erg mode and you're golden. It's simple, effective and easy to use. Yes I would recommend this to a friend.
    Capen
    village idiot
  • Options
    One other thing about the kickr, I don't control it via PM. I have a powertap hub and can't use that on the kickr. So the plan this winter is to test on the kickr and have exclusive power zones however high or low they are and use that as a gauge for progress then when May comes around will transition to outside riding and see the difference and go from there. If you have have a crank based you should be fine. Or pedals.
    Capen
    village idiot
  • Options
    Don't know if it helps you at all but calibrated through TrainerRoad and numbers are:
    Offset 469
    Temp 43C (may need to look into that)
    Spindown 27.812 s

Think the temp was hot because it was after an hour ride that I did the spindown. Thermostat on my fan says 80F in the room. Not sure the Kickr should be reading over 100F

• Options
    You sold me. Picked up a Kickr today (semi-impulsively) because I needed some retail therapy. I had it out of the box and was Zwifting within an hour of getting it home... so much better than my dumb trainer! So for those suggesting TR instead of Zwift... why? And what do I need to know to get the most out of this new toy tool?
    M_WareCapenEvan

• Options
    TR has lots of good training plans. It's basically my cycling coach.

If you don't need that, or have a real coach giving you specific workouts, there's no reason for it.
    kjrunnin
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    kjrunnin said:

You sold me. Picked up a Kickr today (semi-impulsively) because I needed some retail therapy. I had it out of the box and was Zwifting within an hour of getting it home... so much better than my dumb trainer! So for those suggesting TR instead of Zwift... why? And what do I need to know to get the most out of this new toy tool?

@kjrunnin , this sounds like a good separate thread. "Zwift or Trainer Road, and Why?"
    kjrunninAaronWebstey

• Options
    @kjrunnin Erg mode will destroy you! but make you so much better. Are you using a powermeter with your Kickr?
    village idiot
  • Options
    espej09 said:

@kjrunnin Erg mode will destroy you! but make you so much better. Are you using a powermeter with your Kickr?

No. Planning to buy a new bike before I go down that path. I feel like I'm such a novice that I'm a long way from "needing"power to make me a better triathlete.

I had to google Erg mode to know what you meant by that... but looking forward to playing with it.
    Cue the best workout song of the year:
    M_WareKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    I can't hear the name of this product without thinking of this jam (especially at 1:45).

AaronWebsteyM_Ware
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I haven't used zwift in over a year, so things may have changed. I just wasn't a fan of their workout mode. It was great for free riding, but for a structured workout I like TR layout better.

• Options
    kjrunnin said:

@espej09 pushed me over the edge in buying one also. I use Zwift now and used to use TrainerRoad last year. I find that Zwift helps me engage more compared to staring at graph most of the time. Zwift is also nice when I don't have a structured workout...and I just really like video games.

M_Warembrekk44Evan

• Options
    I bought mine as retail therapy for a[nother fucking] calf tear so right now I'm just getting on to spin and Zwift + the Kickr make it much less of a pity party.
    CapenM_WareEvan

• Options
    Disclaimer. Wahoo is my number 1 sponsor.
    Evan
    village idiot
  • Options
    espej09 said:

Disclaimer. Wahoo is my number 1 sponsor.

That would be my first guess according to your run splits. Bahahahaha. Bike for dough and run for show, right @john_littlewood ?
    KenElPescadoPeladoespej09Tad_MachrowiczMatt

• Options
    @Capen - How long have I been recommending for you to buy a Kickr??? It seems that @espej09 has found the way to get you break through those cobwebs that are covering the credit cards in your wallet. I'd always presumed that you hadn't bought one because of your short arms and long pockets?

I shouldn't really comment on "bike for show, run for dough" as that literally cost me $250 at Toughman NY. However, the Kickr will certainly help you bike for show if you use it correctly. And we all know that the bike split is the most important part of triathlon after all LOL
    CapenTad_Machrowicz
    John Littlewood - A Cock from the Valleys
    TRS Racing

• Options
    Serious question for the gang (perhaps I should create a thread - or is there already one? cumbersome to search this)
    Why TR over Zwift? I see the comment about structured workout, but as of last March, you could build a custom workout with all sorts of segments in Zwift. I liked it, but I have not done TR, so that's why I'm asking.

• Options
    TR = training plans. For people who don't have a coach, or don't want to set up months' worth of structured erg training, trainer road does it for you. With plans designed by cycling and triathlon coaches. It's been a while since I've jumped on zwift, but I don't think they do that yet.
    AaronWebsteyDerekLRobert RankinTad_Machrowiczfyrehaar
  • Options

TR = training plans. For people who don't have a coach, or don't want to set up months' worth of structured erg training, trainer road does it for you. With plans designed by cycling and triathlon coaches. It's been a while since I've jumped on zwift, but I don't think they do that yet.

That's what drew me in over Zwift. I think Zwift has some workouts, but TR has training plans with a progressive nature that are specific to different race distances or types.
    Tad_Machrowicz
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch