frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

John Joseph

Killer stuff. The spectrum from Timothy O to Lionel to Joseph. All good. You need to bring on a really douchy triathlete to complete the spectrum. That should be the easiest type of triathlete to find.
Granpa ChookTad_MCraig_D

Comments

• Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Just got to the last 10 minutes of this episode.

Fuck.

This episode takes Ben's credibility to another level.
    GasBombjakesaunderskjrunninCraig_D
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    Did you talk about GMOs and chemtrails?
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    It was riveting. Unexpected. Emotional.
    Authentic & vulnerable guest. Could not be more motherfucking likable.
    M_WareGasBombCraig_D

• Options
    In the grand scheme of things...most of us are just candy ass white people who are doing triathlon as a challenge to see if we are tough at all.
    PreachSwanson
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I have been listening to "Age of Quarrel" weekly since I first heard it in 1992. His book "Meat is for Pussies" is a pretty good read for the vegan athlete. His matured vision of Vaishnavism is pretty legit in my view as well. I used to see him serve meals in Tompkins so he's lived his world view and has always walked the walk. He's lived a pretty fascinating life and this interview is terrific.

Now, his feud with his old bandmates is insane. The bassist Harley put out his memoir recently and it's over the top. Those old-school Lower East Side punks lived a crazy life. The original singer of the Cro-Mags, Eric, is a homeless drug addict in Brooklyn - I used to buy him meals and chatted when I lived in that neighborhood. I think when you look at what John came out of and what he's learned to survive and live a healthy life it's all legit and I appreciate him musically and as an athlete.
    M_WareGasBombPreachSwansonItsShugyournotuniqueAaronWebsteyCraig_DGranpa Chookdhrwchevron
    Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @GentlemanJerseyDave Hmm, sounds like a good documentary subject.
    M_Ware

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    He's rightfully quit fully talking about the drama with his ex-bandmates. After the stabbing at the Black n Blue Bowl a few years back there was nothing to be accomplished in talking about it. He actually shut down an interview that was amazing when he found out the Village Voice writer has spoken with Parris Mayhew. He is done with the he said/he said and it all looks like the right choice from where I stand.

This means, for me, the piece he did for Vice about Triathlon and his music is pretty spot on.

I like this guy a lot. He played a benefit for a guy in NJ that used to put on a lot of local shows, Nate Gluck, and he just did a benefit for Dr. Know. I just appreciate that he has continued to put his time and art to positive use.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Wow! All the best to this dude. Go John Joseph McGowan. So cool. Check out his site http://www.purepma.com/

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    edited October 2016
    Like @GentlemanJerseyDave, I've been listening to the Mags since the 90s. My 3 year old daughter can recognize their songs. And I'm with Parris, the AOQ demos are better. I can get down with every one of their albums, even Near Death Experience.

I've worked a Mags show in Detroit. A former band mate is a current member of JJ's Fake-Mags.

All this said, and while his triathlon stuff is cool, he's kind of a clown.

Also, Harley's book is HORRIBLE, but I still like that guy more than JJ.
    GentlemanJerseyDave
  • Options
    @dhr It's funny man. Harley's stories are pretty great but he is not one for grammar. I read it for what it is honestly. He is a bit of a hard core sideshow at this point and we all gawk. The best book on anything punk rock for me is still Lords of Chaos but I'm always thirsty for anything that comes out about the NYC/NJ scene I came of age in.

I agree with Parris to a degree that there is a reason nothing new has been written by this line-up but Revenge is still the worst thing under that bands name. I won't debate the demos either - I dig it. I can predict we've read the same Parris interviews and I can't disagree with him more about Leeway - "Born to Expire" rips.

I don't really buy into the Fake-Mags stuff myself - it is what it is. An no matter what the past beef is JJ has used the band to support good causes and I appreciate it. Would I rather see the original line-up? Sure but I never had and never will. Nostalgia is a bitch and I like seeing bands with a couple original members still. No matter what the debate about who wrote what is, there is no denying that JJ is an integral part of the legacy of the band. I love "Best Wishes" but no matter what Parris says about kicking JJ out because he couldn't sing the songs I can't be convinced that it is a better record without him.

Anyway, nice to see a fellow HC cat who rides on here. I doubt you are in the Northeast based on your post but we have a few punks and musicians that get together this way to ride. Nothing is punker than wearing spandex and not giving a shit.
    dhrM_Ware
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @GentlemanJerseyDave you are far too Fing cool for this forum. We're not worthy. Sworry.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    For what it's worth, @GentlemanJerseyDave, I've sang every word at the front of the stage, side-by-side with the sketchiest dudes, for the "Fake-Mags". There's no hate. I love that he's still willing to do it.

And yeah, those Parris interviews are amusing and a perspective not as widely shared.

I'm still working through Harley's book. It's fun, but horrible.

Lords of Chaos, Get in the Van, and Our Band Could be your Life are top reads.

I'm from the Detroit area. Unfortunately, I don't know any old punk/hxc dudes who train around me.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I was convinced I was going to be at least a little let down, after all the 'best ever' comments flying around.

Nope. Jesus.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    By far the best TRS Radio episode yet! Great job Ben, I can't wait to see what else is in store.
    AaronWebsteyCapen

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch