frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

BAAW Thread?

Comments

• Options
    RashRash Member
    @Dark_mark Was that deliberate? Looks like that guy took him out.
  • Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    No, there was the concrete "elephant turd" that had plagued this race for years. Rider didn't see it, hit it and got kicked left into my friend. Bunch of guys went and took a sledgehammer to it after that.
    AaronWebsteyMartinKenElPescadoPeladoRash
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    An alu Specialized won US Nationals.
    Martinsimonsen77
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member
    Was that intentional?
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Dark_mark said:

No, there was the concrete "elephant turd" that had plagued this race for years. Rider didn't see it, hit it and got kicked left into my friend. Bunch of guys went and took a sledgehammer to it after that.

I picture this as an Office Space "printer scene" moment.
    MartinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Have at it @Matt .
    @PreachSwanson , smooth as silk classic steel waiting for you if you can make it in August. Wheels trued, and all terrain tires installed.
    Another classic steel to post in the next couple days.

M_Warewchevronjrielley1406MattAaronWebsteysimonsen77Robert RankinPreachSwansonellsworth53tKenElPescadoPelado

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    edited July 23
    White bartape on a vintage frame? HNNNNNG
    (External cabling would be better, as would removing the valve caps)
  • Options
    Matt said:

White bartape on a vintage frame? HNNNNNG
    (External cabling would be better, as would removing the valve caps)

I'll put my best man on it. Thanks @Matt !
    Matt

• Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Tad_Machrowicz Forgive my idiocy, but what year is that frame? It looks like you have mostly new components on it? Were there issues with the brakes or derailleurs?
  • Options

@Tad_Machrowicz Forgive my idiocy, but what year is that frame? It looks like you have mostly new components on it? Were there issues with the brakes or derailleurs?

Not idocy at all @ellsworth53t , I always run into little niggling issues in re-purposing old frames. Standard clamp derailleur front, and standard back, almost never an issue here on any of the frames, unless the rear threads are screwed up..... rarely, you have to mod the angle of the b-adjuster screw aim point.
    Brakes are always a different story. You need an infinite combo of the lengths of threaded posts used in the shimano or tektro brakes on hand and or the backing sleeve nuts. Usually, with enough sleeve nuts I can avoid the hassle of changing out the threaded posts. You also need a supply of the concave washer/spacers when the frame mounts are simple tubes without welded lugs, like these were.
    This bike though, required no trickery on the brakes besides the concave spacers, easy fitup.
    If you're getting a frame and then sourcing brakes, always do your measurements with frame in hand and a wheel mounted to find if the pad reach to the brake track will work. Lots of old frames have the mount holes too far from wheel center to use modern short reach calipers, in which case get some of the tektro longer reach. I love their old looking aluminum finish stuff. Not super exotic, but really nice quality/compatibility on certain kits.
    On the next bike I'll post, I'm using the tektro long reach for two reasons: 1) the dura ace 7800 set cant adjust to the brake tracks, and 2) I'll be able to switch easily from 700c to 650b wheels when I want to put some bad assed 2" gravel tires on.
    I've got lots of the hard bits to find, so if you're building something and aren't sure, put it together, and send me pictures of the problem areas.
    This is a 1985 frame that came from a kid that got it in college then rode it cross country in 1988 from Boston College to his first job in Portland, OR.
    Mattellsworth53tM_WareCraig_D

• Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Tad_Machrowicz Thanks, that's interesting. I have my dad's 1976 Fuji Dynamic 10 (gold!).
    A few years ago I stripped it to the frame and cleaned everything with kerosene. I think it's the only time it had been cleaned.
    I've thought about upgrading the components but it's also nice that (almost) everything is original.
    I'd like to do something like you've done with modern components (eventually), probably with a different frame. It would make a sweet commuter, if I lived close enough to bike commute.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    For you @Matt , Better stems and cable routing on the trusty old Univega Gran Tourismo all terrain cycle

Mattellsworth53tM_WareCraig_D

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Yes I’m gonna lose points but kinda don’t care because I have a new frame built up only six days after breaking my old one. Fortunately didn’t take too much additional to get it all to work with my old components. Plus a slightly taller headtube now means no spacers, @Matt

MattM_WareAaronWebsteyTad_Msimonsen77Craig_Dellsworth53t
  • Options
    Pretty! But computer, bottle AND mismatched tires?

M_Wareidking90AaronWebsteywchevronTad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    Mismatched tires ARE ALLOWED in off road. Though yes, there’s not a great reason to have a Conti Mountain King rear and a Bontrager GenericIDontKnow front, except that the front wheel is from my training set because I was able to keep my fork, while the rear is the only Boost wheel I own right now so I put the tire I’m racing on next weekend on it. When I race there will be another Mountain King front.
    AaronWebsteyMattTad_M
  • Options
    MIsmatched models, yes. Brands? No.
    idking90
  • Options
    Do the 3 bike locks match?
    M_Wareidking90Mattsimonsen77Craig_DMartinKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    @Tad_M I make sure to have my computer set to a red and green theme when I read my homeowners insurance policy.
    Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Definitely not a 10 (valve stems amongst other thing) but kiddo made me laugh insisting his bike was included. Showing off the new Alto wheels

M_Wareregular_markAaronWebsteyMartinCraig_DTad_MStruangKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa Chook

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    My dirty, sweet little RXC and all of his tacky accessories up against a river.

ellsworth53tCraig_DTad_MGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member
    edited September 8
    This took forever to take a good pic of my clean bike, it’s usually quite dusty.
    2018 diverge expert with SRAM force 1x 42t front and 10-42 rear
    SRAM force hydraulic disc brakes
    Enve 4.5 AR disc with specialized trigger pro 38c with quark tyre wiz
    Enve cages, stem, bars
    Brooks cambium c-13 carved saddle
    Lizard skins DSP 3.2 bar tape
    Shimano XTR pedals
    And the specialized swat box above the bottom bracket for my spare tube, lever, co2, inflator, and multi tool is awesome, I don’t even know it is there
    I am also a huge fan of the 20mm of travel built into my steer tube as well as my seat post

M_Wareellsworth53tTad_MMattCraig_DGranpa ChookAaronWebstey
  • Options
    my dream bike @mbrekk44 .
    (BTW what frame size? asking for a friend)

• Options
    @Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_M that is a 56
    Tad_M
  • Options
    That seatpost spring looks fragile. Did you take 140mm rotors front + back?
  • Options
    @Matt it came with 160 rotors front and back.
    Matt
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Matt you have ruined the GCN Bike Vault segment for me. I can’t help but apply your standards to all the pics. #SuperNice #judgeypants
    MattAaronWebsteyTad_MCraig_D
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Matt said:

An alu Specialized won US Nationals.

Just acquired one of these. Proper photo coming soon!
    M_WareMattTad_MCraig_D
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    First TT bike, first outside ride. First ~real~ BAAW submission.

AaronWebsteyM_WareMattMartinTad_MKenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77
    HMKP
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    It's beautiful

:'(

A tear of joy
    HMkrplunkit
  • Options
    Cut that extra material on the steerer (once your fit is finalized)
    Get yourself a basebar that doesn't turn up at the hoods (the new Profile Design Wing 10a is great)

9/10
    HMkrplunkitCraig_DAaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch