frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

A Russian Triathlete in Rio | TRS Triathlon

edited July 2016 in Articles

imageA Russian Triathlete in Rio | TRS Triathlon

None of the six members of the Russian Olympic Triathlon Team were among the four triathletes named in the recently released McLaren Report and all...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    It would be easy for me to say "Ban all those red bastards" but I know if it was Canada in the same spot I'd be much more tolerant and asking people to "please think of the clean athletes." At the end of the day you can't ban someone on suspicion alone. However, if the Polyansky's finish 1-2 we better take like 3 liters of blood and test it for everything.
    AaronWebsteyellsworth53t

• Options
    Is Dimitry Gaag still a Russian federation coach?

"We will continue to closely follow the updates from the McLaren report, as well as recommendations from WADA and the IOC on best practices in the fight against doping.”
    Good luck with that ITU
  • Options
    Something just occurred to me: Four triathletes were named by WADA in the report, and none of them are the 6 competing for Russian at the Olympics. What are the chances that the state-sponsored doping program was helping just the 4 triathletes who weren't good enough to make the team? On an individual basis it would made sense for "lesser" athletes to dope, but it doesn't make sense for a state-sponsored program that is specifically looking for medals.
    bbculpIanLTad_M

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    What James said. This is why I supported a "ban all those bastards" approach. Surely it would've punished a handful of clean athletes, but it would've prevented other clean athletes from losing medals to dopers and would've set a precedent about how the IOC will deal with this sort of systemic doping in the future.

The ITU does very thorough testing before and after its events, but that's hardly enough to prevent doping if the athletes and coaches know exactly when and where they'll be tested.
    AaronWebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    @James Lange That was my thought as well, particularly on the men's side. I've watched every ITU race since London and I don't think I could name another male Russian triathlete aside from the three going. Why won't WADA name all the implicated athlete's? They've been implicated, they're adults. Let's have it out. Truth and reconciliation and all that.
    James LangeTad_M
  • Options
    Long will I cherish this day when I had the same thought as @Brent_R. Every thought I have from this day forward will pale in comparison.
    AaronWebsteyBrent_RKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch