frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Ask a Random Triathlete: Racing Post-Break-Up, and Latex or Butyl?

edited May 2016 in Articles

imageAsk a Random Triathlete: Racing Post-Break-Up, and Latex or Butyl?

As a random triathlete, I have a lot of opinions. Even about things I don’t know or care about. Yesterday, I got in a fight...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I covet the bike-tube-shelf you have in your living room.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Seriously though, latex or butyl?
    JoshRtwig05

• Options
    TriDVMTriDVM Member
    Bike tubes kept in the living room?
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @James Lange Oh, seriously? Seriously, butyl; latex for tubulars. Bam, problem solved.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    This is quickly becoming my favourite column in all of Triathlon.
    Kelly O'MaraJoshRAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @James Lange If you want data: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-latex-tube-2014

If you want pure speed, latex inner tubes are definitely worth the trouble. When making a correction for an average road bike speed of 23 mph / 36 km/h and a tire pressure of 120 psi, a pair of latex inner tubes have 4 watts less rolling resistance. If you like to run lower pressures, you will save close to 5 watts at 80 psi.
    If I'm going to the all the expense of having a nice pair of race wheels, I'm going to install the fastest tires and tubes I can find. That would be latex. I can't think of any reason to not use latex tubes in your race wheels. Unless you are in my AG.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @balsdorf @James Lange I almost said: butyl for training, latex for racing. But I didn't want to get all into how it depends on how you store them and on how long the race is and on proper installation, etc, etc, etc. Because then I started to bore myself.
    AaronWebsteyFastCat1107
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Latex for both being faster and less prone to punctures and pinch flats. Basically, they're better in almost every way.
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch