frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Throwing Bricks – What Tom Demerly’s Confession Says about the Endurance Press

edited May 2016 in Articles

imageThrowing Bricks – What Tom Demerly’s Confession Says about the Endurance Press

During my time in the army I once witnessed a familiar micro-drama play out in a fellow lieutenant’s platoon. One of his soldiers fell asleep...

Read the full story here

GrantInSLC

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    This makes me want to encourage my kids to join the army.
    KenElPescadoPeladoGasBombOverSwimmerCraig_Dtwig05
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    Wow, what a world is about all I can think
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    I think people deserve more credit than Demerly gives them. Maybe a few people bought a bike because of a biased review he wrote but most people would, I believe, be taking anything in a specialty publication with a big grain of salt. If someone buys a bike because Demerly said it was good, or because they like the colour red for that matter, they are probably no worse off than they would be without having read the review.

I would argue that shops that give misleading or incomplete info because they choose not to carry a line of product are a greater evil than softball bike reviews.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    TRS_triTRS_tri Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    Martin said:
    I think people deserve more credit than Demerly gives them. Maybe a few people bought a bike because of a biased review he wrote but most people would, I believe, be taking anything in a specialty publication with a big grain of salt. If someone buys a bike because Demerly said it was good, or because they like the colour red for that matter, they are probably no worse off than they would be without having read the review.

I would argue that shops that give misleading or incomplete info because they choose not to carry a line of product are a greater evil than softball bike reviews.
    There's always something worse than the subject of any of our op-eds. Pediphilia is worse than bike shops not misleading customers. So what?
  • Options
    BrandonMarshTXBrandonMarshTX Member, Pro Triathlete
    Martin said:

Re Shops. Many times they do not choose all of their product lines. Exclusivity, distance limitations, credit or lack of, etc. generally determine a lot of that. One shop may choose, the other may be limited. But, I understand that POV from a customer.
    Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Reading my copy of Triathlon Magazine Canada right now. Turns out that Felt's new bike is super awesome. At least this month. 
    AaronWebsteyrigpigJames LangeMartinGrantInSLCBrent_RJason Lentzke
  • Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    IanL said:
    Reading my copy of Triathlon Magazine Canada right now. Turns out that Felt's new bike is super awesome. At least this month. 
    Until the next Cervelo comes out.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    "A guy (Dan Empfield) whose career has been defined by refusal to compromise with substandard products..."

except for his website/forum hmtl coding.
    simonsen77GrantInSLCGasBombtwig05Brent_RGranpa Chook
    Reid Taylor NOT Taylor Reid
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited May 2016
    Ryan Heisler said:

Until the next Cervelo comes out.

So we have at least 140.3 days.
    AaronWebsteysimonsen77Ryan HeislerGasBombyournotunique
  • Options

I find it is a mixed bag and totally agree with the principle. Its amazing that a blog I occasionally flick over (for their updates on new products rather than reviews) which seems to receive large amounts of free product also suggests that every product is faster than the last one, which is pretty amazing.

Similarly I have some faith in my usual triathlon magazine, there are mixed reviews, they have dissuaded me from buying things, and products made by manufacturers who I have never/ have rarely seen advertising in the magazine have spent extended periods of time in "top recommendations lists" - this gives me some faith/ confidence.

As anyone who reads Ray Maker's blog knows though, you have to be mindful of "whats in this for the writer" and consider your opinion accordingly.

M_WareGasBombbalsdorftwig05
  • Options
    LuisLuis Member
    If you understand that a Bike Aerodynamics comes into play at 29.2 Mile per hour (47 Km/h equivalent) and that most people cant attain that speed then they are being spun a faster bike sale, though if the athlete is fitted aerodynamically, higher speed is achieved. I have read the articles over the years and take the BS like a grain of salt, proof comes from performances out in the field.
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited May 2016
    @Luis I don't think your speed threshold is accurate. The author of this article wrote a book that has a chapter or two dedicated to the topic. I highly recommend it. 

That being said, all the bikes are so close and their aerodynamics can be so drastically affected by position, equipment and related issues, buying the most "aero" bike seems a pretty hopeless task. 
    simonsen77Ryan HeislerOverSwimmerCraig_Dyournotunique
  • Options
    Huge!

WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    I kind of just want to set this down here: Tom Demerly wants to know why we don't earn more in the bike industry - https://tomdemerly.com/2016/05/12/why-dont-we-earn-more-money-in-the-bike-industry/
    Matt_FroeseAaronWebsteydhr
  • Options
    A_drizzleA_drizzle Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I kind of just want to set this down here: Tom Demerly wants to know why we don't earn more in the bike industry - https://tomdemerly.com/2016/05/12/why-dont-we-earn-more-money-in-the-bike-industry/
    There is so much wrong in here that I don't even know where to start. I need to take a walk. 
    M_WareKelly O'Maradhr
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    There is so much wrong in here that I don't even know where to start. I need to take a walk. 
    Same here, left me spluttering with no cogent reply. 
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    He can't be serious, right? I'm now less appalled by his lack of integrity than by his intellect.

Also, take better care of your damn teeth. Or get dental insurance. 
    GasBomb
  • Options

Actually TD embodies all that is wrong with the bike industry. The sheer amount of douche is the reason they don't make more money. 

AaronWebsteydhr
    Do you know who I am?
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    I don't understand. I just give a my dentist a six-pack of beer or a pound of coffee in exchange for a cleaning.
    M_WareKelly O'MaraElaine K
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I've been to The Tri Shop twice just to take a look while in the area.

Both times, the employee I was speaking with talked to me about TD like he was a demigod.

Same thing happened at a different shop but in regards to Stan E. 

Maybe this is why I'm not terribly impressed by triathlon "celebrity".
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    idking90 said:
    I don't understand. I just give a my dentist a six-pack of beer or a pound of coffee in exchange for a cleaning.
    And he's definitely adequately replaced with some minor mechanical know-how and a few YouTube videos.
    Elaine K
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member

100% agree. Holy cow. Did you read the comments, too? He replies to one saying "I think the educational pathway for dentists adds a perception of value to their craft too".

A PERCEPTION of value?

Honestly, if a mechanic screws up my bike, I just go to another one, and I've wasted a few dollars. If a dentist screws up my teeth? Pain, hospital bills, infections, disfigurement, surgery... just to name a few.

M_WareA_drizzle
    Tucson, AZ

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch