frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Garmin 520 or 810

wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
Looks like my 510 has crapped out.  Debating between the 520 and 810.  Any reason to pick one over the other?  Don't use Strava so that's not a concern.  Like the map feature on both.  I usually ride the same routes but sometimes I'll come to a new road and want to see where it leads.  Was thinking with either unit I could scroll the map and see where the road would take me.  I like the 810 for the large screen but I was never too keen on the touch screen of the 510 so wondering if the 520 buttons might be better.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options

1. Any interest in turn-by-turn - if yes see below, if no, buy a 520.

2. 810 does turn-by-turn, but missing some features, and could turn by turn be added in Connect IQ? 810 is pretty old and feels due for an upgrade pretty soon, so you might want to wait (if you can) if you are looking 810, either for the new one, or a better deal on a 810.

3. Have you looked at DCRainmaker.com - or ask a podcast question...

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Don't need turn by turn.  Really only need the map to see where a new road may go when on my usual routes.  Sounds like 520 may be the better option.
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    520 is nice, small, and light.. No complaints with mine
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    If you can hold off until October, there is a good chance one of them might be steeply discounted during Garmin's annual price slashing of models soon to be updated.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Had the same debate, didn't really need turn by turn and didn't want a unit that big(insert dick joke).  Love the 520.  520 also shows you where you are on the map, just cannot use it like a guide unless you upload something, we all have a phone that can do that now anyway if you are that lost. 
  • Options

Yea - I think the sell point for the turn by turn is if you are a) on a route you don't know, e.g. sportive etc (although often signposted enough) or b) doing what I am planning in a the next few weeks which is, pick a B&B 100 ish miles away, set of Saturday morning and ride out to said B&B - sleep, ride back Sunday, in which case having a planned route avoids having to stop and faff on a semi-regular basis with phone etc.

Sounds like for your "use case" (as DCR would describe it) 520 is perfect. and if we're lucky IQ might bring some more interesting apps as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch