frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Challenge Family Championship

Recieved an email about this race this morning. 150,000 euro prize purse minimum isn't too bad for a 70.3 distance. 
Thoughts?
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/94b4e848069d72ddd33bfc29c/files/TheChampionship_MediaRelease_200416.pdf

Comments

• Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Slovakia. Hmmm... Is that where one of the Hostel movies took place?
    MartinTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    interesting, i kind of like the time frame of the race, way better then what they were doing with the middle east races , guess we will see how many people actually do it
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    The AG champs with qualification required will be interesting to watch.  I wonder if anyone will care?
    KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Think it's smart they went auto-qualified for the top performers on each "circuit," so to speak. Making the barrier low might entice some of the WTS folks to jump up for the $$$. Babbitt would harp on that shit all the time in his podcasts as something WTC should do for Kona. 
    Ryan HeislerKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    The invites are cool, I like that a lot. Maybe they should take it a step further and do appearance fees for the top men and women like the major marathons.

It's also a good sign that they are starting the marketing now rather than doing the last minute thing like they did for some of the triple crown announcements. Hopefully this shows they have their shit together to actually pull this off.
    Ryan HeislerKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    THIS IS GREAT*

*if you live in Europe.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoneil5youngRobert Rankinidking90EmilyCocks
  • Options
    KMRyanTri said:
    THIS IS GREAT*

*if you live in Europe.

Kona is great*

*unless you live in Europe - do you realise were I to qualify for Kona (this isn't a problem I would have to deal with) it would take me circa 20 hours out and 28 hours back of flight time at about $1,500 to fly there (before any bike costs) - if I got the best and cheapest flights (and I live in London so will have it easiest) - the return leg would lose about 40 hours once time differences were taken into account. I would have to get over 10+ hours of jetlag, so following the 1 day per hour rule I would need to get out 10 days ahead of time, so leave 11 days ahead of time, even if I flew back the day after the race (day 12) I wouldn't get back home until late day 14 or early day 15 and then I'd be at a minimum jetlagged and recovering from an Ironman (and this all assumes I had no abnormal adverse effects) we're talking at least 2 weeks holiday, probably nearer to 3 which has a cost me in excess of $5,000 - plus hotel costs in Kona etc etc... oh and no-one in my country really knows what Kona is so not even Kudos for it! Plus I'm not gonna do that solo so there's the additional cost to my girlfriend and the grief of incurring all that cost "just" so I can race in a triathlon... qualifying to Kona isn't a dream, its an emotional nightmare, the reality that it is a great opportunity that would at the same time destroy me, my bank balance and my relationship...

Yup overall sympathy = 0

Now I accept that for those of you based in a less westerly area of the US it is still difficult and that, e.g. New York to Kona is still quite a long way by you are about 8 hours flight time (each way) better off and get 5 hours benefit on the time zones - also prepared to bet there are more either direct flights or flights to LAX etc from US per day than London which has to help co-ordinate the trip.

• Options
    @andrewm88 I'm going to prescribe that you avoid qualifying for Kona at all costs. You should heed my advice - I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. 
    PreachSwansonandrewm88wchevron
  • Options
    @andrewm88 I'm going to prescribe that you avoid qualifying for Kona at all costs. You should heed my advice - I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. 

I shouldn't imagine this will be a major difficulty for me given that I bike about as fast a I swim!
  • Options
    andrewm88 said:
    I shouldn't imagine this will be a major difficulty for me given that I bike about as fast a I swim!
    Had to do the math on that, sounded pretty accurate for me, too.
    That would have me biking a mile in 32:15-35:15! #lastfishinthewater
    M_Ware

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch