frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tapatalk is dead - How badly do you want to have TRS Forum iPhone Android apps?

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
The tapatalk plugin hasn't been updated in a year and a half. Due to security and performance concerns, I won't be re-enabling it. #sworry

There is an independent developer (the guy who helped re-do our forum, actually) working with app devs to create Vanilla Forums (our forum software) mobile apps. His only missing resource right now is funding for the development time. I'm trying to convince him to set up a proper crowdfunding campaign, as there are many forum admins and users out there who could benefit, and might be willing to help fund it.

I'm not 100% sure of the details, or features - but it would have the same appeal as any other mobile app: push notifications, native look-and-feel, etc. Just think, soon you could be saying "Look honey, @TheActualPaulo ;just ridiculed me on the forum, and my phone notified me immediately!".

If the developer does set up proper crowdfunding, I suggested that he should award a free branded version of the app to any forum whose members donate a certain amount of cash. E.g., if he plans to charge $500 to custom-brand the app when it's done, then maybe any community that donates $400 or more gets a free branded app. Etc. You know how these things work.

I'm not asking for money, for a commitment, or anything else. I do, however, want to gauge interest in a TRS Forum app. If there is sufficient interest, I would personally help fund it, and once advertisements return to the sidebar (they're coming - #sworry), some of their proceeds could help fund it as well.

Please reply honestly. I can't afford to waste any amount of time on something that none of you wants.

Thanks,
#KOAT
  1. How badly do you want to see a TRS Forum App?21 votes
    1. OMG, I am rich and will contribute $1000+ to make sure it gets built.
        0.00%
    2. A lot. I would contribute a small amount to help make this happen.
      33.33%
    3. I would definitely like to have an app, but I can't or won't contribute to the development.
        9.52%
    4. Not interested. The web app is sufficient and I don't want my phone bothering me even more.
      57.14%

Comments

• Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Bro this forum loads just fine in Google Chrome for android.  I've installed tapatalk and would rather use chrome
    AaronWebstey
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    If this app would look sexier and move better than Tapatalk, I'd be willing to make it rain. Or at least chuck some nickels to make it hail.
    MamaCheetah
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Anything would be better than Tapatalk. I hated that thing. The developer might have an apple prototype out in the next few weeks, so we'll see.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    The developer might have an apple prototype ...
    As long as there are no worms in it. Not that I'm worried about biting off more than I can chew, I just don't know if I'm ready to move beyond handjob eyes at this point.
    GrantInSLC
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch