frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

How much alchol is too much alchol?

StruangStruang Member, POTM
So we all (mostly) like a drink now and then, so as I stand propping up my local bar, I find my self wondering

How much is to much?
When does drinking and training nulify each other?
When should we concede we've been drinking too much and fatally undermined our training efforts?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

HSeeley14

Comments

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    Ok well I've clearly answered my first question given my inability to spell alcohol or figure out how to edit a subject line!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

M_WareRobert RankinKelly O'MaraHSeeley14
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I sort of wish you had asked this before our team camp a few weeks ago. Or, maybe I wish you hadn't asked it ever... Either way, I wonder if @Adrienne Taren has tested this on some hamsters...or humans?
    M_WareTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I'm not sure hamsters have a high enough alcohol tolerance for this experiment.

There was interesting research (mostly small exercise studies & only acute effects) on humans a few years back, but haven't looked for more recent stuff in a while...what I mostly remember is that there were significant gender differences in running performance - women affected less than men. If I had to speculate, would say the biggest effect would be on recovery. Future article topic?

But my mix of semi-serious, semi-snarky, semi-speculative answers to @Struang's questions:
    1. When you're in anion gap metabolic acidosis.
    2. Training should be producing chronic positive adaptations. So I think the tipping point would be when you hit the level of drinking where you're producing more than acute effects on your physiology.
    3. When you sell your bike for beer money.
    M_WareGasBombAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoStruangTad_MKelly O'MaraHSeeley14
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Future article please @Adrienne Taren ! :)
    A_drizzlembrekk44M_Wareslickfins_Ryan
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Thanks @Adrienne Taren!

Did a little experiment on myself in Feb, took the month off from drinking. Felt better rested, that was pretty much it. No weight loss. So, I went back to my regularly-scheduled program. Which, at camp, included a cold Heineken during our brick break. Because beer mile is always a thing.
    M_Wareespej09A_drizzleHSeeley14
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    I've done that same experiment @KenElPescadoPelado. Obviously everyone is different, and consumes different amounts, but I did lose weight. Then drank again and gained it back. Maybe a month wasn't enough time to tell?

FWIW I drank all through marathon season and had my fastest times.
    KenElPescadoPeladosimonsen77HSeeley14

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Seems to me that booze is like a hard workout, you can recover from it with adequate rest.
    balsdorfKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    great topic.
    my inputs:
    structure your (drinking) plan so that your long drinking day is the same day as your long training day (but afterward), and that your rest day is after that.
    long training day --> party night --> rest day.
    repeat as tolerable.
    also experiment with phasing beer into trainer workouts 5, 10, 15 minutes from the end (during cooldown).
    conclusions: WTF do i know...
    M_Waresimonsen77mbrekk44HSeeley14

"there's ice in my ass crack and it feels amazing" - overheard at IMMT

• Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

3. When you sell your bike for beer money.

I think it speaks volumes about this team that @Adrienne Taren ,"the smart one", says you're drinking too much only after you've sold your bike for booze.
    M_WareRobert RankinA_drizzleHSeeley14
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I vote against any study on this topic whatsoever. I don't want to know.
    espej09KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Websteymbrekk44HSeeley14
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I can't wait until the moment when @Adrienne Taren slaps a beer out of the hands of one of us knuckleheads at a post race celebration and says....

"What are you doing fool, you're clearly in anion gap metabolic acidosis"

That's going to be the coolest, funniest thing ever to watch the reactions of those poor souls who don't follow this forum. I'm going to be the first one to get up off my lazy ass and get Adrienne a fresh cold beer!
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareBrent_RA_drizzleAaron Websteyneil5youngKelly O'Maraandrewm88wchevron
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    For some reason I have had some of my best swim workouts whilst hung over. Feel like superman. Explain that, science!
    HSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

For some reason I have had some of my best swim workouts whilst hung over. Feel like superman. Explain that, science!

Aquaman*

jakesaundersAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch