frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Anyone ride bikes with different length cranks?

Long story short I'm transferring my Quarq over to a new bike. The cranks are 172.5. My road bike has 175's on it. My fit between my road and tri bike last year (same crank length issue) was as close to identical as possible, and I couldn't notice a difference. The mechanic at my LBS acted as though I was committing some sort of sin when he found out. While I value his opinion, and for the most part trust him, does 2.5mm make that big a difference really? As long as the saddle height is adjusted, isn't it a wash?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    I ride 165 on my tri bike and 172.5 on my road bike and don't have any issues.
    Robert RankinJason Lentzketrifaster
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I noticed a difference going from 172.5 to 170 but that was only because I have stumpy legs and I was really closing off my hips at the top of my stroke or over-extending at the bottom. You think it's only 2.5 mm but it's actually a full 5mm different on the entire rotation.

That said I think you could run different length cranks on different bikes without an issue. It only becomes an issue when you're at the limit of fit.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    You would think that crank length all depends on how exciting the ride is that day.
    Robert RankinGasBombJoshRPreachSwanson
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    i ride a 175mm on my roadie, which I need to swap out, i feel like theyre to long and have had hip flexor issues after riding long durations. I ride 165mm on my tri bike and love it, shorter is much more comfortable. would go shorter if i could
    Robert Rankin
    village idiot
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm 175 on the roadie and 165 on the tri bike. Honestly, with the difference in position, it's hard for me to tell.
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    i ride 170 on my TT and 172.5 on my roadie. i do not notice a difference.
  • Options
    I have 170mm on my tri bike and 175mm on my road bike. I can definitely tell the difference when riding but I haven't had any issues with it.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Member
    chiming in like many others here, 165 on the TT and 175 on the road bike. Don't really notice it much since the changes in position are way way more drastic anyways.
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    For those of you with different crank lengths, which bike do you train on mostly? I do 99% of my riding on my road bike. I'll break out my tri bike a week or two before a race, maybe longer this year with a full on the schedule.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Most of my trainer workouts are on my road bike. I find the tri bike uncomfortable on the trainer for longer rides.
    Outdoors, typically use the tri bike although on short rides will use the road bike. Since I'm more upright on my road bike, the longer cranks aren't an issue.
    I've got a pelvis issue so when my leg is at the top of the stroke it kicks one knee out to the side. With the hunched over position on the tri bike, the shorter cranks alleviate the problem a bit.
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin i did all my training this winter on my road bike, well its an old tri bike converted to a roadie. i just started using the TT bike 2 weeks ago getting ready for Galveston. as May rolls around i will be riding the TT bike primarily if i ride outside, TT/70.3 specific efforts and rides. everything else will be on the road bike. Like you I will take the TT out closer to a race rather then just riding it to ride it which is a nice change and way more comfortable. What i have noticed though is my hip flexor, primarily my right side has been sore and achy, which i think has to do with the saddle height on the the road bike. maybe a slight different in power output from bike to bike and cadence to, nothing to dramatic tho. I use 2 different PT wheels for both bikes, both calibrating between 507-515 each time so negligible there.
    village idiot
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Mostly the roadie. I used to ride my tri bike on the trainer, and my roadie outside, but now I share my roommate's KICKR, and I have to swap cassettes to put the tri bike on the trainer...
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    2.5 different (more) on roadie. No difference. Switching crank sets, they will be the same now, but I didn't switch for this reason.

If you want a top notch bike fit and are near MD, look up Parvilla Cycle and Multisport. Stu Waring is one of the best fitters available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    I, literally, only clicked on this because I thought you were going to tell us you race one size crank on the left and a different size on the right. And I wanted to hear about that craziness.

So, I have nothing useful to add.
    simonsen77AaronWebsteyM_WareRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladobalsdorf
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Kelly O'Mara me too! Swear to Messick.
    KenElPescadoPeladobalsdorf

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch